Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fur Fashionable?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lately in the media I have heard a lot about fur coming back into fashion, I just checked out vogue's website and a key catwalk look was fur. Personally I think this is just horrible and would never ever want to find myself wearing such fashions! I have seen images of animal skinning and the fact it happens when they are still alive just sickens me and the fact that the animals are treated so badly before they are skinned just makes me so mad! :impissed: What do other people think, would you consider wearing fur for this seasons fashion? Vogue Fur

Comments

• Options
    I agree, is f****ing vile
  • Options
    I love the look of all those fur coats, but I wouldn't specifically want them because they're fur. I'd happily buy a replica the Vogue fur coats.. but it seems difficult to find a really good quality faux fur that doesn't turn to shit after one wear.

I'd consider buying a fur coat, depending on which animal it's from.

Ilora x
  • Options
    fur is sick, the way it's done is plain sick - we dont need fur, the animals do
    fake fur is fine, i'd never buy real fur
    we should sling a dead skinned fox over peoples shoulders who buy it, because that's what they're wearing, bet they wont like it then
    i really do hate fur.....
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    fur is sick, the way it's done is plain sick - we dont need fur, the animals do
    fake fur is fine, i'd never buy real fur
    we should sling a dead skinned fox over peoples shoulders who buy it, because that's what they're wearing, bet they wont like it then
    i really do hate fur.....

Should we sling a dead cow over your feet?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Should we sling a dead cow over your feet?
    i dont wear suede
  • Options
    Its a vile fashion which promotes animal cruelty in a society that supposedly condemns it. I would however, buy fake fur, as it's not the look of it that I dislike, but the ideology and the method behind it.

Fashion is fashion at the end of the day. But doesn't mean that animals should be skinned alive for the sake of money or beauty.
  • Options
    Despite the fact that I've read that fake fur takes 10 times more oil to make, than the real thing?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i dont wear suede
    Are you vegan?

sorry about the double post.
  • Options
    no im not, killing animals for meat is ok in my opinion - because generally you're meant to have it in your diet, and at least it is actually useful.....but killing animals just for the sake of 'fashion' is wrong
    that's what i think anyway
  • Options
    I see, despite the fact that some of the meat you eat has probably been treated worse than leather?

Feather pillows? goose down quilt?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    no im not, killing animals for meat is ok in my opinion - because generally you're meant to have it in your diet, and at least it is actually useful.....but killing animals just for the sake of 'fashion' is wrong
    Actually, that's not accurate. Humans weren't born carnivores. Humans naturally have the anatomy of a herbivore, but instead we choose to be carnivores (omnivores).

So you're theory on 'eating meat is okay, wearing them is not' is totally flawed.

Ilora x
  • Options
    If we have the anatomy of a herbivore, why can't we digest ruffage?

Don't talk shit.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

You realise they don't remove the meat from the cow surgically? ;)
  • Options
    Actually, that's not accurate. Humans weren't born carnivores. Humans naturally have the anatomy of a herbivore, but instead we choose to be carnivores (omnivores).

So you're theory on 'eating meat is okay, wearing them is not' is totally flawed.

Ilora x

Absolute nonsense.

"We were given canines and
    bicuspids for a reason..."
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If we have the anatomy of a herbivore, why can't we digest ruffage?

Don't talk shit.
    I'm not 'talking shit' at all. Studies show that human anatomy is not suited to being carnivorous. For example, we do not possess the same teeth as carnivores, we have flat molars for chewing, not canines for ripping flesh from bone. We have hands and nails, not claws for gripping one's prey.
    Our saliva is alkaline, carnivore's saliva are acidic. Our intestinal tract is 6-8 times longer than that of an carnivore (who's IT is around 2 times their body length).

I could go on. There is more research to prove that we are omnivores, than there is to prove that we are meant to have a meat based diet.

You choose what you want to believe, that's fine. But don't tell me I'm talking shit.

Ilora.
  • Options
    Any links to these sources/research?
  • Options
    WTF?! Sorry there are no other words.

No-one has said that humans should only eat meat.
  • Options
    Meat a part of human diet for ~2.5 million years

The evidence of the fossil record is, by and large, clear: Since the inception of the earliest humans (i.e., the genus Homo, approximately 2.5 million years ago), the human diet has included meat. This is well-known in paleoanthropological circles, and is discussed in Setting the Scientific Record Straight on Humanity's Evolutionary Prehistoric Diet and Ape Diets.

taken from here
  • Options
    No one was arguing that humans are strict carnivores.

:confused:
  • Options
    www.Google.co.uk - plenty of research into humans being omnivorous.
    killing animals for meat is ok in my opinion - because generally you're meant to have it in your diet,
    That's a contradiction.

Humans aren't meant to wear fur, right...
    And, (according to research) human's are meant to eat meat.

So why is it okay to eat meat (when biologically, we're not suited to it) and it's not okay wear fur?

Ilora x
  • Options
    Since the inception of the earliest humans (i.e., the genus Homo, approximately 2.5 million years ago), the human diet has included meat.

To answer the original question, I am not keen on people who wear fur, particularly if the animal they're wearing is endangered/rare etc. If it was a rat hoodie or something I don't think I'd care that much. :yuck:
  • Options

Why should we search for it when you've told us there are all these studies backing it up? And I'm sure they're all non-biased, and supported by the BMJ or AMA etc.
  • Options

That's a contradiction.

Humans aren't meant to wear fur, right...
    And, (according to research) human's are meant to eat meat.

So why is it okay to eat meat (when biologically, we're not suited to it) and it's not okay wear fur?

Ilora x
    You talk such shit.
  • Options
    But when animals are killed for food isn't it usually a quick and more humane method. Killing animals for fur is done while they are still alive, they are brutally hit over the head to stun them and strung up and literally stripped of their skin and then slung to one side to die.
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    But when animals are killed for food isn't it usually a quick and more humane method. Killing animals for fur is done while they are still alive, they are brutally hit over the head to stun them and strung up and literally stripped of their skin and then slung to one side to die.

Umm...

"No Bambi, mummy is not sleeping!" ;)
  • Options
    :crying: You had to bring bambi into this! hehe!
  • Options
    Ah come on!

We had this debate months ago, we really don't need it again!
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    :crying: You had to bring bambi into this! hehe!

To this day, I've never seen it because I don't think I'd ever be able to get out of bed if I did!
  • Options
    I wouldn't wear fur. I just don't like the look of it.
  • Options
    Fur and fake fur is a no no for me.