Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

getting older

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As I've finished uni this year and have started the proper world of work, it's made me think a bit about getting older. It's scary...becoming responsible, thinking about pensions, insurance... Feel like I am becoming a little boring yet I don't feel that different to when I was 17/18.

Do you feel old? Do you think you have changed much over the last few years? What's the most adult thing you have found yourself doing? Mine has to be examining the pensions advice from my new job, along with having an appointment with my bank manager. :crying:

Comments

• Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    As I've finished uni this year and have started the proper world of work, it's made me think a bit about getting older. It's scary...becoming responsible, thinking about pensions, insurance... Feel like I am becoming a little boring yet I don't feel that different to when I was 17/18.

Do you feel old? Do you think you have changed much over the last few years? What's the most adult thing you have found yourself doing? Mine has to be examining the pensions advice from my new job, along with having an appointment with my bank manager. :crying:

I know what you mean.

This weekend I cleaned the kitchen and did some gardening.

Old man me.

Have you considered going back to uni to rediscover your youth?
  • Options
    going back? I've just been there for 4 years, no thanks!
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't feel like I'm any older, I just feel like my physical age has finally caught up with my mental age. I've always preferred sitting in with wine and good food and good friends to going out on the lash, and now it doesn't feel as though I'm expected to enjoy getting lagered up and shagging around. It's wonderful.

err bank holiday weekend picture on livejournal

*cough*
  • Options
  • Options
    I feel really young..im 21 this year and im a little unsure as to whether my humour and stuff suits my age. Im mature in the way that i can take care of myself and make responsible decisions. im just not mature in the way that i like it when people pull funny faces, and the clothes i like (clothes with characters on them...plastic jewelry...)

im terrified of getting old, my looks and health can only go downhill now, wrinkles, zimmer frame.... and im terrified of dying
  • Options
    Sadly, no. Being 15 is pretty dire. Though its ten times better than being 14. I'm starting to be acknowledged as a teenager/young adult, rather than a child.
  • Options
    i always think i'm getting on a bit..at the age of 20! i don't feel old (though i do at the minute) but think it's going tooo fast.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Sadly, no. Being 15 is pretty dire. Though its ten times better than being 14. I'm starting to be acknowledged as a teenager/young adult, rather than a child.

Well you're starting that process...I think 15-18 are turbulent times, it's when you really "grow up"

I still feel pretty young, when I was a child I thought 18 was a really old age but it's not that old. I think leaving uni is definately a concerning factor for most. Education is all about routine, since you were a child you were in a system, now you're out in the big wide world you have to fend for yourself. So maybe thats why you're feeling older. Don't worry, when you reach rolly's age, then start worrying, you're in your prime now!
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:

No. 14 was still party time. 15 was getting ready for and taking GCSEs. I just hope the rest of 16 and 17 are as great as some people say and then there's uni. :D

No worries about being old when you're 16. I have to look for a job and take some areas of my life into my own hands, but it's really nothing major.
  • Options
    In some ways, I'd like to be my bfs age - 17, as it seems like him and his mates haven't a care in the world - plus they're out the other side of dreaded puberty. But I know he'd love to be 18 and a legal boozer.

I suppose theres like two halves to your life - one, where you'd give anything to be a little older - then the other, where you do all you can to stay young.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I suppose theres like two halves to your life - one, where you'd give anything to be a little older - then the other, where you do all you can to stay young.

that's a dilemma faced by most teens going through puberty. Yes I'm sure you'd love to be able to drink legally (though never stopped me when I was 15 ;) ) and I'm sure you'd love to be able to go to the niteclubs, but at the same time, I'm sure you miss the care free days of running about fields and whatever.
  • Options
    I've got to say that all that crap about school being the best days of your life is so wrong. I hated school and am much happier since I left. I didn't especially enjoy being a teenager, so many insecurities, bitchy "friends", problems with boys, not being allowed to do stuff, having nowhere to go, no money etc. So there are advantages to getting older.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    and I'm sure you'd love to be able to go to the niteclubs, but at the same time, I'm sure you miss the care free days of running about fields and whatever.

nah... more like when I could sit in front of CITV with 5 bags of crisps and not have to worry about late coursework/lack of funds/junk food having an impact on my waistline :p
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    nah... more like when I could sit in front of CITV with 5 bags of crisps and not have to worry about late coursework/lack of funds/junk food having an impact on my waistline :p

Ah rite...those things never really bothered me...especially coursework, one of the things teachers make out to be something serious when it aint.
  • Options
    I feel old compared to most of you but i don't feel any different really from when i was 16/18.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I feel older. I am 22 but I am now married, researching houses to buy, decorating and thinking about selling our house, thinking about kids and that sort of malarky. Aged 17, when I first started uni, I didn't think I would be where I am. It is all extremely weird.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I've got to say that all that crap about school being the best days of your life is so wrong. I hated school and am much happier since I left. I didn't especially enjoy being a teenager, so many insecurities, bitchy "friends", problems with boys, not being allowed to do stuff, having nowhere to go, no money etc. So there are advantages to getting older.

i know i hated school too! certainly not the best years of my life. i'm having them now, i think. though won't know until i'm older and look back.
  • Options
    I loved being primary school age. Never had to worry about anything. High school was ace too imo, and now college is alright. I reckon there could be some truth in the school days being the best days of your life thing.
  • Options
    Puberty is a terrible time, there is no redeeming features to it. I hated life between about 13 and 20. I've come out of puberty and aren't as bad, funny that.

I don't feel any older than I ever used to. But I do find myself seeing the Freshers in town and thinking that they look awfully young, and shouldn't they still be at school?
  • Options
    I do feel old, mainly because I'm 22 and starting my first proper adult job next week and I have a pension. Most of my friends or 2years younger than me and are either still at uni or taking a year out to decide what they want to do.

I would love to be back at high school I loved it.
  • Options
    here's a nifty idea...keep borrowing until you die...they can't do nothing when you're six feet under!
  • Options
    I think you mature and actually (for want of a better term) find out who you are between the ages of 15 and 21, and its not really a change you notice happening untill you start looking back and thinking about choices you made then.

As for feeling old, I've felt old for at least the last 50 years.
  • Options
    What makes me feel old is having a nearly 15 year old son who is taller than I am.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

As for feeling old, I've felt old for at least the last 50 years.

:chin:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    What makes me feel old is having a nearly 15 year old son who is taller than I am.

Wow your son's older than a lot of the posters on thesite :p

Taking my mum home because she was too drunk made me feel old! And leaving 21 behind ... no excuses now :eek:
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Wow your son's older than a lot of the posters on thesite :p

I know. I'm dreading the day I recognise him as another poster on here, same thing happened with my MUM on another board!! :eek:

Mind you he ought to recognise me from my av and would probably avoid like the plague.
  • Options
    24 is the best age I think, its all down hill from there.

I suspose I feel my almost my age, I definatly dont feel like and dont want to be a teenager, I probably feel Id like to be 25, but am feling late 20's 27 28, so its only a couple of years of difference.
  • Options
    I feel really old because of my age and the fact that inside i'm still 15. Not that i've not grown up and got married, bought a house etc etc but I'm still so up for doing nearly all the things we did when we were 15 - I loved beeing a teenager I had so much fun and enjoyed so much of it - I think however you forget all the crap aspects of being a teenager like getting overly depressed about stuff and thinking noone understands you. Plus a whole load of crap to do with going out with boys etc.

But basically being 15 was great - I could do everything I could do at 18 and still get away with paying child fare on the busses, plus after spending 12 - 14 thinking that I'd never have a life, meet any boys/ people who liked the same sort of music as I do - i'd finally met a bunch of great people and was having an excellent time.

Testiment to this i'm still friends with nearly all of them today (12 years on) and we spent yesterday in the park acting like teenagers ie getting drunk and playing stupid games - Soooooo much fun.

I think i'm rambling now and i've somewhat missed the point.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    I know. I'm dreading the day I recognise him as another poster on here, same thing happened with my MUM on another board!! :eek:

Mind you he ought to recognise me from my av and would probably avoid like the plague.

Quite the t'internet family eh! Good God what if he started posting on the sex boards!!! You could quite accidently find out a lot more about your son than you would ever wish to know! :eek2: