Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The only good child is up a chimney

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im afraid looking after your children is part of being a parent and unfortunately they have to come first before their "problems", noones pretending to be a good parent, as far as im aware none of us posting in this thread have kids. its about common sense and decency and respect for those around you.

the point of the matter is, theres no need for those kids to be there, they have no money, they are only there because their parents have dragged them there.
  • Options
    well I have a 4 year old who sometimes plays me up when I take him up town.
    fucking shoot me then, obviously a shite parent because my child occasionally probably annoys others.
    Ask your mother whether you were ever naughty as a child, and when she says yes you were, tell her its because she was a shit parent and should never have unleashed you on the public.
  • Options
    Children don't bother me, unruly children do though.
    the point of the matter is, theres no need for those kids to be there, they have no money, they are only there because their parents have dragged them there.

What a bloody stupid thing to say! Would you prefer them to be left at home alone whilst their parents buy essential food products? Also, what about those who are buying things like school clothes for their children? They need to be there to try them on! I would suggest if you have a problem that you simply wait until the schools go back, or get a 9-5 job so you don't have to be in the same place at the same time. Most parents would rather be able to afford to leave their children at home with a nanny or babysitter whilst they do essential chores but these things aren't affordable to most people (and in many cases aren't preferable). I think you need to try and recall your own childhood.

I can understand that sometimes parents have to take their children grocery shopping with them, but I do think they should keep them under control. When I was little I just used to sit quietly in the trolley eating grapes. Some parents don't seem to grasp the concept of keeping their children entertaining by diversionary tactics and so we are subjected to "can Mrs Such-and-Such pick up Britney-Louise from Customer Services please" over and over again.

RB is right, being a parent isn't easy. Ok, I don't have kids, but I have been one, and even though my mum will admit I was an angel most of the time, I know that even looking after a well behaved child is exhausting.

At the moment, because it's the holidays, there are loads and loads of 8 year old kids playing in the street outside my house. Sure, they're annoying, but I remember being that age and the fun we used to have. Some old people used to complain at us for being noisy and playful but that's how children develop and it's nice to see them playing outside instead of stuck indoors playing on their PS2s and getting square eyes.

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I don't like children very much but I have lots of respect for people who have children and bring them up well. It's a tough job.
  • Options
    hmmm i think you get the wrong idea, i actually work 5 sometimes 6 days a week all through normal shop opening hours, im talking weekends as well, more often than not there is no need to take a child shopping, most families have 2 parents or guardians, whats wrong with leaving the kid at home with 1 parent?

im sure there are plenty of little angels out there that are perfectly well behaved, but there are also the little bastards who play up, normally because they are bored and would rather be at home playing pogs with their friends or something.

i see it every weekend both parents, pram full of shopping and about 30 - 40 kids all running wild around them. no need.
  • Options
    youre right. theres no need.
    The parents only do it because they like to torture themselves and others.
  • Options
    you are probably right, no consideration for anybody else, selfishness. end of chat.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    hmmm i think you get the wrong idea, i actually work 5 sometimes 6 days a week all through normal shop opening hours, im talking weekends as well, more often than not there is no need to take a child shopping, most families have 2 parents or guardians, whats wrong with leaving the kid at home with 1 parent?
    :lol:

Sometimes when I'm feeling charitable I offer to do the family shopping. Off I go to the local supermarket, stock up on groceries, pay for it all and haul it back home. It isn't easy. Sometimes just pushing the trolley can be a hassle as they have a life of their own. I often forget things and wish another family member was with me to remind me. Most of the time I buy stuff on impulse or stuff we don't need, or I buy the wrong brand and my mum isn't happy.

Packing the bags at the checkout is the worst part, by the time I've actually got all the stuff on the belt the cashier has scanned everything through and I've got to pack it all and pay whilst they're usually trying to push someone elses shopping through afterwards. I then have to push the trolley to the car, unload it etc and drive home.

By the time I get to the car I'm usually hot and sweaty and very, very tired. Imagine that fiasco every week. Surely it would be easier for both parents to go?

Or, what about a family where mum or dad works at the weekend? That only leaves one parent to do the shopping (and imagine the scenario above with two kids in tow, it must be HELL!) Nobody would choose to take their kids with them if they could leave them at home. I really doubt that mum would be pushing her two kids around Tesco whilst dad is sat at home reading the paper, it just wouldn't happen.

Oh, and these days a lot of families don't have two parents or guardians.
    i see it every weekend both parents, pram full of shopping and about 30 - 40 kids all running wild around them. no need.

Wildly exaggerated. And yes, I think that on many occassions there is a need. It often takes two people to do a full grocery shop.

I think you should go and ask your mum what you were like as a kid, and if they ever had to take you shopping with them and why. If they were lucky enough to have someone else look after you then that probably explains your lack of respect for the choices parents have to make.
  • Options
    I've been in some places where kids have been swearing, screaming, placing dirty hands everywhere... In town they hang around outside MacDonalds... I've had an adult get a kid to hurl abuse across the street at me (for the way i was dressed at the time), you try and go shopping and they're running up and down aisles... Often opening bags of crisps in the shopping que to eat them.

Some children are very well behaved though, obviously. Where I work a family comes in and they have a delightful little girl who's always looking to learn new things. She doesn't swear, doesn't scream... She's quiet and well behaved and if she gets bored they give her toys to play with, or paper to drawn on.

No, I haven't had children... No I'm not a teenager either and yes, mothers have the right to take children where they want, I just don't understand how some of them can let their children get so wild and naughty. On a council estate near me they're running wild, one even threw a brick at our car... Now an estate that houses a lot of drug dealers, has boy racers driving through and derelict flats, broken glass... I wouldn't want my kids playing there unattended.
  • Options
    my mums a childminder.

its hell for me ;[
  • Options
    jake0 wrote:
    my mums a childminder.

its hell for me ;[
    Is that why you have a trampoline?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    koe_182 wrote:

Why shouldn't kids get to walk around town, surely they have as much right to be there as you misrable gits. I used to love it when we went shopping as a familly when I was I was kid.

And saying kids shouldn't be playing outside is rather absurd.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Is that why you have a trampoline?

nope, its my sisters trampoline! ;p
  • Options
    I think Moonrat actually has a point, and I have 5 kids. I usually have to take at least 2 of them shopping with me, but I've taught them to behave and I am complimented on them all the time.

The problem comes not when kids start to play up a little but when they're completely out of the non-existent control of their parents. That's when it's a problem, when the parents don't even ATTEMPT to control their children. I hate to see that.

But to say kids should be left at home full stop is totally unhelpful.
  • Options
    . Where I work a family comes in and they have a delightful little girl, She's quiet and well behaved and if she gets bored they give her toys to play with, or paper to drawn on.

Kids shouldn't be quiet especially round other kids.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Why not?

It depends on the time and the place... But when you're shopping it's anti social, when you're waiting for a meal it's anti social.

If you're going to the park or taking them somewhere where they can play then it's cool. The reason why gastro pubs such as the Brewers fayre chain tend to have childrens play houses and things in the garden is because not all customers want to hear children banging their forks or trip over them because they're rolling about.

Maybe resteraunts, supermarkets could do more for mothers... Like have a supermarket crech or more resteraunts could have activity areas.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

There's a time and a place though tbh.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    There's a time and a place though tbh.

OK fair enough. What I meant was they shouldn't always be quiet.
    Especially when playing outside which is one of the things Moonrat is ranting about.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    kids don't bother me, i did 2 weeks work experience at a primary school working with 4/5 year olds and they were wonderful - you do get the odd slightly naughty ones but on the whole i thought they were all wonderful - i love working with them.
    but moonrat has a point, there's a family about 8 doors down from me - theres about 5 boys, and i remember when the youngest was about 2, they left him outside in nothing but a nappy to wonder round with his brothers all day, and i was walking by and this 2 year old came up to me and told me to fuck off!! I've also seen the olders ones smoking since they were about 8, and a few years ago they had a pet rabbit which they killed by swinging it round by its back legs and throwing it against a wall.....nice isnt it?
    I dont understand how parents can bear to let their kids get like that.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    but moonrat has a point, there's a family about 8 doors down from me - theres about 5 boys, and i remember when the youngest was about 2, they left him outside in nothing but a nappy to wonder round with his brothers all day, and i was walking by and this 2 year old came up to me and told me to fuck off!! I've also seen the olders ones smoking since they were about 8, and a few years ago they had a pet rabbit which they killed by swinging it round by its back legs and throwing it against a wall.....nice isnt it?
    I dont understand how parents can bear to let their kids get like that.
    Thats very extreme and so is throwing bricks at cars. There is a world of difference between that and some kids running round a shop or not having table manners. Some things are just normal small childrens behaviour (annoying as it may be sometimes) and somethings are a possible sign of neglect and should be investigated.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    OK fair enough. What I meant was they shouldn't always be quiet.
    Especially when playing outside which is one of the things Moonrat is ranting about.

Ah, ok. Well I don't think you can expect kids to be quiet then, they're kids. BUT, having just read Ballerina's post, well, it's a matter of degree really isn't it? It depends just what, exactly they're doing. And that's where the problem arises - different people will have different ideas about where normal kid behaviour oversteps the mark into something antisocial.

And if I knew the answer to that one I should be running the country.
  • Options
    its quietened down now, i know the mother moved out and got a restraining order on the dad, i havent seen much of the kids in ages, i think they've gone with their mum somewhere. Now i just see the dad walking round and he always has a can of cheap beer in his hand :(
    we've aslo had the kids throw stones on to our garden and climb into our hedge, loads of abuse, threats, everything. The kids were out all day every day, the parents locked them out (i saw them loads of times banging on the door shouting to be let in) it was rather sad.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Ah, ok. Well I don't think you can expect kids to be quiet then, they're kids. BUT, having just read Ballerina's post, well, it's a matter of degree really isn't it? It depends just what, exactly they're doing. And that's where the problem arises - different people will have different ideas about where normal kid behaviour oversteps the mark into something antisocial.

There obvious extremes such as chuckingn a brick at a car etc but to suggest kids should be allowed in town or to be loudly playing outside is just daft in my opinion.

I'd far rather see a kid outside getting up to know good and having fun, than a kid stuck on a console with no friends.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The thing is the original issue wasn't kids who throw bricks at cars, it was kids doing the things that kids normally do. Throwing bricks at cars is extreme, a kid making some noise in Sainsbury's is normal.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    The problem comes not when kids start to play up a little but when they're completely out of the non-existent control of their parents. That's when it's a problem, when the parents don't even ATTEMPT to control their children. I hate to see that.

it annoys me when the kids are being really naughty, and the parents aren't even watching. and they're not distracted cause they're busy buying food, or tending to another of the kids, or something that actually needs doing. they're not watching cause they're talking to a friend or having a drink, and when the wee kid shouts 'mummy, mummy' she doesn't even turn round.

and meanwhile little jimmy's battered another kid with a brick, or pushed over an old lady, or drawn 'fuckbum' on the walls in nail varnish, and she's made no effort to stop him or tell him that it's not the way to behave.

we have small kids in our family, and i know that they can quite frequently be little bastards, but at least keep your eye on them to rescue other people from their wrath and put on a show of parenting.
  • Options
    The 'kids' who drink beer and randomly swear and threaten are the ones that bother me tbh.

Seen loads of excited kids making hell, they don't bother me at all! In fact, when people around me get a bit annoyed and start muttering about the parents out of control (i.e. if your child acts like a child you are a bad parent) it confuses me.
  • Options
    I work part time in a supermarket. What really annoys me is when I am trying to get to or from my department and can't due to a mass of little kiddies. Also, when you accidentally walk into a little kid as you never saw them. Grrr at ankle biters.
  • Options
    I hate kids. Especially ones of about 7/8/9. My brothers 6, and he's bad enough as it is. We can't go anywhere without him having to have something - he's not content with his own toys... he HAS to have something new. Basically, he's spoilt.
  • Options
    I don't mind kids ... I hate teenagers! Every friday night my local fills up with bloody 18 year olds banging on about how much they can drink and how hard they are. The park is always filled with gangs of the little bastards drinking cider, shoplifting in shopping centres, shouting and showing off in McDonalds ... the list is endless!

Teenagers are always going through phases and switching moods in the blink of an eye ... at least you know where you are with kids. I say ban teenagers from public places! They cause a lot more trouble than kids!
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    I don't mind kids ... I hate teenagers! Every friday night my local fills up with bloody 18 year olds banging on about how much they can drink and how hard they are. The park is always filled with gangs of the little bastards drinking cider, shoplifting in shopping centres, shouting and showing off in McDonalds ... the list is endless!

Teenagers are always going through phases and switching moods in the blink of an eye ... at least you know where you are with kids. I say ban teenagers from public places! They cause a lot more trouble than kids!
    :( not ALL teenagers are like that, they just give the rest of us a bad name
  • Options
    No it isn't. Children need to be taught authority. It's like people with bad table manners, they shouldn't be allowed in public unless they learn to have consideration for others and not put us off our food.

So you want wee mini Hitlers walking around in straight lines. Children have always been rowdy, always will, I'm sure you weren't an angel yourself, I know I wasn't.