Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police Man was taking a leak

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone seen channel 4 news?

they're saying the police man watching the Brazilian Man's block of flats was taking a leak when he left the building, and couldn't even take any video footage because he had his hands full as it were.

They even showed a photo of the dead man's body onthe train and he was wearing a denim jacket.

They said he even stopped to buy a newspaper and only sped up his pace to catch a train.

BTW They said he was living in Scotia Road??

and shot at Stockwell tube station - which if that's correct is 3 miles away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=0.048774,0.117090&saddr=Scotia+Road,+Lambeth,+Greater+London,+SW2,+UK&daddr=Stockwell+Station,+London,+SW9+9AE,+UK&hl=en

Comments

• Options
    This isn't new news.

They thought he was enough of a terrorist to murder him, but not enough of one to stop him riding a bus first.

Er.

People will still defend the murderers in SO19 though.
  • Options
    All the initial reports turned out to be wrong. He wasn't wearing a bulky jacket, didn't have any wires poking out of his jacket, didn't leap the ticket barrier in fact used his Oyster card etc. Cinveniently none of the CCTV in Stockwell station were working.
  • Options
    I thought that they were SO13, not SO19. SO19 aren't the only offices in the police authorised to carry firearms.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4155322.stm

nice ears :p no actually this is almost US admin like of "saddam supported al-q'uida" being a complete falsification, as unobviously to me, mr charles clarke knows best
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    All the initial reports turned out to be wrong. He wasn't wearing a bulky jacket, didn't have any wires poking out of his jacket, didn't leap the ticket barrier in fact used his Oyster card etc. Cinveniently none of the CCTV in Stockwell station were working.

what's worse is that it appears the police have on purpose mislead the reporters and of course reporters just report what they are told rather then investigate themselves.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    This isn't new news.

They thought he was enough of a terrorist to murder him, but not enough of one to stop him riding a bus first.

Er.

People will still defend the murderers in SO19 though.

Er no, but I support a proper investigation and then if need be a trial before deciding it was murder rather than a bad call.
  • Options
    How about locking up the people responsible for the initial statements for attempting to pervert the court of justice?

Because that is exactly what this amounts to.

But who are we kidding. The only 'punishment' the coppers responsible are likely to get is a free holiday paid for by the Met.
  • Options
    whats fucking scary is the whole thing sounds like a realy bad fucking sitcom!

deadly serious bizz going down ...coppers are pissing up the wall ...having a quick toke or sneaking off for a brew.

no ...it's not realy exagerating is it?

anyone remember how bad the carry on films were?

well this is the worlds finest police force ...the best in the world ...
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the people on this site who defended the police action at the time on the basis of "padded jackets, running, leaping, igoring shouts", to apologise in an open forum...
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the people on this site who defended the police action at the time on the basis of "padded jackets, running, leaping, igoring shouts", to apologise in an open forum...
    fat chance MOK!

incomptence heaped upon incompetence ...excuse after excuse ...lie after lie ...bullet after bullet after bullet after bullet after bullet ...

since the numberr nine one one was seared into our very fabric ...we have been bombarded with the fact it's all falling apart ...run hide be afraid ...
    your going to be killed by lamist terrorists ...we have to have control ...we cannot let them win etc etc ...and these fucking bafoons are going to save me!!
  • Options
    the best police force in the world armed with high technology and they fail time and again to even guard a house.
    if they can't keep people out of the queens fucking house ...you can't expect them to be much use to us plebs.
  • Options
    They released all the 'info' that might offer an excuse, if not a justification, for their mistake... he leapt over the barrier... he had a bulky jacket on... he was Brazilian (the implication being that he had a dusky complexion)...

I know it's naive to expect higher standards of the police than New Labour spin doctors, but shit, could they traduce the values they're supposed to be upholding any more?
  • Options

I said at the time that I wasnt sure it was the shooting teams fault because they may well have been given really bad information. Which it seems they were. Though if they did, as one report suggests, shoot him while he was being held already then they deserve serious jail time.
  • Options

That was the information available at the time, so what else were people to think?

But we still haven't got the full information and we don't know whether the policemen justifiably thought themselves at risk, paniced or decided to shoot him because they had a dislike of Brazilian immigrants. I take exception to them being called murderers by people who have never been in a similar situation before a full investigation has taken place.

I don't rule out that this may possibly lead to a prosecution for murder, but I don't rule out that it may have been a tragic accident for which no individual is to blame.

* which isn't to say that the police shouldn't have better procedures - they should be putting out facts not rumours. if they don't know or the situation is unclear they should say nothing. And if they find out they've said something wrong they should correct it straight away not forty-eight hours later
  • Options
    One comment from the police stands out more than the rest I think, it said that the man had "distintive Mogolian eyes" but yet he couldnt get a certain ID on him.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I take exception to them being called murderers by people who have never been in a similar situation before a full investigation has taken place.

A full investigation has taken place. IT was leaked to ITV News, and was in Metro this morning.

Lets run through the facts:

1. No positive ID was made on the suspect as he left the flat because the police officer was having a piss, and didn't have cover.
    2. They let him walk down the street and buy a newspaper.
    3. They let him sit on a number 2 bus for over 15 minutes. IT's not like the terrorists haven't blown up buses either, is it?
    4. He is seen on CCTV walking into the tube station, using his card, and waking down the escalator to the platform.
    5. He runs briefly to catch a train as it departs.
    6. He walks on and sits down.
    7. The police approach him and fire eleven shots at him. Three miss.

I think it's safe to say that the police officers involved are guilty of manslaughter at the very least, and should be residing at the pleasure of Brenda for a very very long time.

I think it's safe to say that we'll have another police cover-up, just like at Hillsborough, and then we'll have the coppers suing for damages because of the "trauma" of it all.
  • Options
    And on Radio 5 it was made clear that it was only part of the investigation, which was not yet complete.

And I must have missed the trial.
  • Options
    You should add another point to your resume Kermit:

8. The police then fabricates 'evidence' and claims the man:

- was wearing a bulky winter coat

- had wires protruding from it

- was behaving suspiciously

- was ordered to stop by police who identify themselves but didn't do so

- jumped over the barrier and desperately trying to run towards a train

Now, I can only assume that such appalling attempt to pervert the course of justice came up all the way from the top, or not far off it. Everyone should get their arses royally kicked for this: from the shooting coppers to the piss-taking 'surveillance' officer to even perhaps the police commissioner himself, or whoever was responsible for fabricating the fairy tale described above.
  • Options
    Iian Blair should have resigned- without remuneration packages and pension rights- for this cock up.

He won't though. He's as self-important and immoral as his namesake in number ten.

I won't be expecting a trial or even charges. It is basically Hillsborough mark two.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    2. They let him walk down the street and buy a newspaper.

No, he picked up a Metro as he went through the station, but thats not all that important.

I'd agree with your opinion of Ian Blair, I have to bloody live in his Police area, scare mongering idiot.
  • Options
    Of course he should resign. If only for continuing with his insinuation that the victim was related to terrorism, even after he knew that there were no explosives.

Let's be honest, how long do you think it took the Police to realise that there was no bomb, or threat. 5 minutes...?

How long did it take them to admit it...?
  • Options
    From The Mirror, July 28th:

'No Leap.. No Bulky Coat'

The man shot dead at Stockwell Tube Station did NOT vault the the barrier as he fled armed police, nor was he wearing a "suspicious" padded jacket, his cousin insisted yesterday.

Jean Charles de Menezes' cousin Vivian Figuerido said police had told her he had used a travelcard to pass through the barrier.

Speaking at a London press conference through an interpreter, she said: "I spoke to police on that day and the police told me that he had used a travelcard.

"On Friday, when all these suspicions were coming out about what exactly had happened, police said several allegations about him having a padded jacket, and that he jumped the barrier. I thought they were finding excuses for what actually happened. The coat he was using was a denim jacket. It wasn't a bulky jacket.

"His actions were completely innocent and the police actions were completely wrong."

Now, this is the statement of a family member, and they are not hampered by the same restrictions as the police in these matters, but what she said two weeks ago is borne out by the latest revelations. I'm not throwing accusations of 'murderer' around, but 'liars' or criminally 'incompetent', sure thing. But just as with the "45 Minutes From Attack" headlines, the authorities seem immune from compulsion to correct erroneous press releases. Expect a law requiring such to be a very low priority.
  • Options
    And those wanting to see what kind of jacket Mr Menezes was wearing can do so by clicking on the link below:

(Warning- picture can upset some)

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13414373,00.html

Bulky winter coat indeed... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    That was the information available at the time, so what else were people to think?

People could remain questioning about the police and their actions rather than swallowing their lies blindly perhaps?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    People could remain questioning about the police and their actions rather than swallowing their lies blindly perhaps?

Exactly. It just goes to show how much you can really trust the figures of authority in this country. A lot of the smearing of Jean Charles de Menezes' name could have been nipped in the bud ages ago, if ANY of the true facts surrounding the case had been admitted. Instead they start questioning the legality around his stay in the UK to deflect from their almighty cock-up.

MR was right about this all sounding like a very bad sitcom.
  • Options

I apologise for defending the police action based on the assumption by me they were acting on what they believed to be true, rather than killing for sport. Still though, it remains to be seen whether the responsibility lies with the officer doing the shooting or whether he was ordered to shoot.
  • Options
    Still though, it remains to be seen whether the responsibility lies with the officer doing the shooting or whether he was ordered to shoot.
    He had more reason than most to know that the victim wasn't leaping barriers, or concealing a bomb. That's going to take some explaining.
  • Options
    I apologise for defending the police action based on the assumption by me they were acting on what they believed to be true, rather than killing for sport. Still though, it remains to be seen whether the responsibility lies with the officer doing the shooting or whether he was ordered to shoot.

Bit of a dumb assumption, given their track record.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    He had more reason than most to know that the victim wasn't leaping barriers, or concealing a bomb. That's going to take some explaining.

Especially as Mr Menezes was bieng restrained at the time...
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:

I avidly await the explanation by the police and the independent investigation body etc.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Bit of a dumb assumption, given their track record.

Well I'm an idealist and like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt; even the police and the government.