Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Could Israel be planning to bomb Iran?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't surprise me if it does. It wouldn't be the first time it happens would it?

And given that

nuclear weapons in possession of Israel = 200

nuclear weapons in possession of the entire Arab world = 0

I cannot even being to describe what an act of cuntery and shameless double standards that would be.
  • Options
    i suspect they have a plan. The Iranian Foreign Ministry used to have a sign hanging above their entrance saying 'Israel must burn' and if I was an Israeli Minister this would make me less than keen they got the bomb.

Is it imminent? That I would doubt. Iran is probably ten years from having a working bomb. Israel will try and use the time to make the UN develop sanctions, to put pressure on countries supplying the technology and to hoping that the current Iranian Government falls and a less hostile one takes its place.
  • Options
    I think it’s unlikely at the moment. It’s a possibility of course but as is stated by someone quoted in that article Israel would far sooner the matter is resolved through the negotiations between the EU and Iran. If the EU and the UN prove unable to persuade Iran not to develop a nuclear weapon through negotiations then an attack is one of the few options available. Trusting the fundamentalist Muslim leaders in Iran with nuclear weapons is not an option that any moderate person would accept.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Iran is probably ten years from having a working bomb. Israel will try and use the time to make the UN develop sanctions
    Oh the irony!!!
  • Options
    Trusting the fundamentalist Muslim leaders in Iran with nuclear weapons is not an option that any moderate person would accept.

I don't accept trusting the fundamentalist christian leaders in the USA with nuclear weapons, but you know, they've got enough to wipe out the world, just about :)
  • Options
    I don't accept trusting the fundamentalist christian leaders in the USA with nuclear weapons, but you know, they've got enough to wipe out the world, just about :)

They’ve got nuclear weapons. It’s also incredibly unlikely that they will ever use them.

And America’s ‘fundamentalist Christian leaders’ don’t condone executing homosexuals, deny rights to women and deny freedom of religion. Nor does America call on countries it doesn’t like to ‘burn’. Any attempt to compare America’s leaders with the fundamentalist Muslims who run Iran is simply childish anti-Americanism that lacks substance.
  • Options
    But being nasty fundies who oppress women and homosexuals (disgusting as the Iranians are at that) bear no significance as to whether they are likely to start a nuclear conflict.

For that we have to assert the country's record on wars and aggression towards others. And there can't be any doubt that the USA has been infinitely more aggressive, unilateralist and dangerous than any other nation on earth since the end of WWII. Iran on the other hand has only been involved in a regional conflict with its neighbour, and it didn't even start it.

One nation continues to threaten countries left, right and centre, and has actually announced it will consider first use of nuclear warheads in future conflict.

The other nation on the other hand is simply trying to defend itself against illegal, unwarranted aggression. In the past you would not need to resort to nuclear weapons to guarantee something so basic as territorial integrity, but thanks to the illegal Imperialistic bullying agenda of the US government, nukes are the only line of defence available. Iran has taken a look at Iraq, and other look at North Korea, and reached a very simple conclusion. And I can't blame them one iota for it. Can you?

I know which nation should be more trusted to have nuclear weapons if I had to choose between the two.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I know which nation should be more trusted to have nuclear weapons if I had to choose between the two.

You’re off your head if you trust Iran with nuclear weapons more than the US. Anyway whatever, the US already has nuclear weapons. Iran doesn’t. Iran having nuclear weapons will be of benefit to nobody. It won’t benefit the many Iranians living in poverty and it will indisputably severely endanger Israel.

Given the very public aims of Iran in regard to Israel – it’s destruction I’m sure you wouldn’t blame the Israelis for wanting to take measures to avoid Iran developing nuclear weapons. Iran having nuclear weapons would only make something horrific as a nuclear holocaust/world war three more likely.
  • Options
    I find it funny - well no, not funny, rather sad - that people seem to support Irans gain of nuclear power, when even Persians will tell you how much they're against it.
    I am sure that most Persians will have great stories to tell about the day Khomeini came to power, his ruling, and the oh so fun tyranny which takes place in Iran.

Seriously, I am willing to bet that most Persians you'll encounter will be against it. At least the ones I know/have met are. Then again, they are against everything which the current ruling power stands for.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I find it funny - well no, not funny, rather sad - that people seem to support Irans gain of nuclear power, when even Persians will tell you how much they're against it.
    I am sure that most Persians will have great stories to tell about the day Khomeini came to power, his ruling, and the oh so fun tyranny which takes place in Iran.

Seriously, I am willing to bet that most Persians you'll encounter will be against it. At least the ones I know/have met are. Then again, they are against everything which the current ruling power stands for.

Yeah..The only Iranians I know live here but they don't like the current regime. They say a lot of young people there don't either, I think Iran has one of the youngest populations so I imagine a lot of the youth there are pretty disillusioned and would like Iran to become more liberal. Hopefully it does, I guess it will happen with time. Inevitable really.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

I did probably give the impression I support Iran gaining nuclear weapons, but my personal view is that every nation should have no nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    I did probably give the impression I support Iran gaining nuclear weapons, but my personal view is that every nation should have no nuclear weapons.

Well I'd support that too, but its not likely to happen. Given that I'd still rather Iran didn't have nukes and if it takes a air strike by the Israeli's to do that, fine.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Well I'd support that too, but its not likely to happen. Given that I'd still rather Iran didn't have nukes and if it takes a air strike by the Israeli's to do that, fine.
    Thus putting back relations and stability in the Middle East (and indeed the world) back another 40 years.

And for as long as such appalling double standards continue to exist (because I can assure you that the most Israel could fear from the international community would be an statement "regretting" the action- practically any other nation doing such a thing could look forward to a couple dozen Tomahawk missiles raining on them from the freedom-loving USA immediately afterwards) the Arab world will continue to have every reason in the world to think the West hate them and are out to get them.
  • Options
    If the Western countries with nukes were publicly getting rid of theirs, rather than adding to them this process wouldnt sound quite so hypocritical.

Nukes are dangerous for anyone to have, there really isnt any need for any nation to have any. Though I do realise the idea of deterant so I'd allow some countries to have 1 each.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If the Western countries with nukes were publicly getting rid of theirs, rather than adding to them this process wouldnt sound quite so hypocritical.

Nukes are dangerous for anyone to have, there really isnt any need for any nation to have any. Though I do realise the idea of deterant so I'd allow some countries to have 1 each.

:lol: that sounds fantastic :)

But America and Russia uses tactical nuclear weapons in conflicts anyway, which don't really have any restrictions placed on them.

And as for Iran having them... whoever gave other countries (like Israel etc.) the right to be the 'nuke bosses' and can dictate who can have them (America, Russia, UK, China, India, Pakistan, N. Korea I think, France, Israel) and those who cant (Iran, Iraq, etc.)

Though it's a whole other debate, maybe it's worth noting the single country who has used strategic nuclear weapons on another country?
  • Options
    And as for Iran having them... whoever gave other countries (like Israel etc.) the right to be the 'nuke bosses' and can dictate who can have them (America, Russia, UK, China, India, Pakistan, N. Korea I think, France, Israel) and those who cant (Iran, Iraq, etc.)

I think you've missed the point.

Plenty of countries that do not have nuclear weapons do not want Iran to have nuclear weapons. It’s not just countries that do have them so it’s not countries with nuclear weapons dictating who can have them and who can’t.

Anyway simply put who cares? Surely everybody here can see that our world will be worse off with Iran possessing nuclear weapons. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the chances of world war three kicking off is a lot more likely when the Iranians who want Israel to ‘burn’ get nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    I'd say arming Pakistan and India to the teeth is more likely to spark off problems than Iran.
  • Options

Plenty of countries that do not have nuclear weapons do not want Iran to have nuclear weapons. It’s not just countries that do have them so it’s not countries with nuclear weapons dictating who can have them and who can’t.

Anyway simply put who cares? Surely everybody here can see that our world will be worse off with Iran possessing nuclear weapons. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the chances of world war three kicking off is a lot more likely when the Iranians who want Israel to ‘burn’ get nuclear weapons.

Look at it from another angle: Israel has nuclear capabilities. Iran wants nuclear capabilities. Israel says if Iran even starts to develop rudimentry nuclear capabilities, they may launch pre-emptive strikes. I don't like the idea of a pre-emptive war anyway. If it was sensible, then America would have nuked the rest of the world by now to make sure that no war could ever take place.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Thus putting back relations and stability in the Middle East (and indeed the world) back another 40 years

I tend to agree anyIsraeli strike would destabilise the Middle east. Unfortunately a nuclear strike on Israel would also be slightly destabilising.
  • Options
    Look at it from another angle: Israel has nuclear capabilities. Iran wants nuclear capabilities. Israel says if Iran even starts to develop rudimentry nuclear capabilities, they may launch pre-emptive strikes. I don't like the idea of a pre-emptive war anyway. If it was sensible, then America would have nuked the rest of the world by now to make sure that no war could ever take place.

Yes, but Israel isnt talking about pre-emptive nukes, just air strikes to take out their ability to get nukes.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, but Israel isnt talking about pre-emptive nukes, just air strikes to take out their ability to get nukes.

I know. But air strikes are still attacks. I was merely commenting I don't agere with the principle of attacking first so you don't get attacked.
  • Options

Surely the point of nuclear weapons is that they make war less likely, is that not why you support the US having them (as you seem to be)

Surely one way to look at is that at the moment war involving iran, US and Israel is an outside chance, if Iran has nukes then there is no chance (presuming Iran won't attck, which I don't think they would, however much they hate Israel) of war and if you don't want war then this is a good thing..........
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I tend to agree anyIsraeli strike would destabilise the Middle east. Unfortunately a nuclear strike on Israel would also be slightly destabilising.
    One of the greatest (if not the greatest) fallacies in the Middle East conflict is that Arab countries are all but about to wage a war on Israel and push it into the sea.

The last time an Arab nation attacked Israel in any way or shape most people on these boards hadn't even been born ffs. And in fact it is Arab nations who have been for the last few years making concrete and real peace offer deals. It has been Israel that has refused every one of them.

How long is Israel going to be allowed to invoke the old 'they're all trying to get us and destroy us' when it hasn't been true for decades?

And moreover, why oh why do people think Iran (or anyone else) would want to guarantee it's complete nuclear destruction by launching a nuclear attack on Israel (which, let's remind ourselves once more, it's the proud owner of at least two hundred nuclear warheads, compared to zero between all of the Arab nations)? Does people really think the Iranians are prepared to kill every single one of their own, even if they were really prepared to kill thousands of Israelis?

We've had enough that same old cry which today has about as much validity as a seven quid note.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    One of the greatest (if not the greatest) fallacies in the Middle East conflict is that Arab countries are all but about to wage a war on Israel and push it into the sea.

The last time an Arab nation attacked Israel in any way or shape most people on these boards hadn't even been born ffs. And in fact it is Arab nations who have been for the last few years making concrete and real peace offer deals. It has been Israel that has refused every one of them.

Have you considered that the fact that Israel had nukes, but their neighbours didn't has meant that these nations have had little choice but negotiation?
    And moreover, why oh why do people think Iran (or anyone else) would want to guarantee it's complete nuclear destruction by launching a nuclear attack on Israel (which, let's remind ourselves once more, it's the proud owner of at least two hundred nuclear warheads, compared to zero between all of the Arab nations)?

Erm.. just a thought, but why would Iran want nukes anyway?

Given that the US and Israel have had them for decades and not used them, why does Iran need them?
  • Options
    Becasue thay now have thousands of US troops on their border in Iraq and in Afghanistan and have been pronounced as part of an Axis of Evil and an enemy of the US.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Becasue thay now have thousands of US troops on their border in Iraq and in Afghanistan and have been pronounced as part of an Axis of Evil and an enemy of the US.......

exactly, they've seen what happens to countries that don't have WMDs i.e. Afghanistan and Iraq ( :lol: ), and they just happen to be sitting on a lot of oil........the only effective deterrent is nukes, as n. korea demonstrates.......i don't think they want nukes to go and blow up israel, once again all we are seeing is the west trying to stifle any regional power that is beyond their control........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

So? Who would they nuke?

As Aladdin says, "why oh why do people think Iran (or anyone else) would want to guarantee it's complete nuclear destruction by launching a nuclear attack on Israel "?
  • Options
    So? Who would they nuke?

As Aladdin says, "why oh why do people think Iran (or anyone else) would want to guarantee it's complete nuclear destruction by launching a nuclear attack on Israel "?

read above.
  • Options
    Have you considered that the fact that Israel had nukes, but their neighbours didn't has meant that these nations have had little choice but negotiation?
    I don't think so. Even Israel would think very carefully before using nuclear weapons (if nothing else, because with the wrong wind they'd be as fucked up as everyone else). The Arab nations could engage in conventional war safe in the knowledge that Israel wouldn't nuke them back in retaliation.

Erm.. just a thought, but why would Iran want nukes anyway?

Given that the US and Israel have had them for decades and not used them, why does Iran need them?
    Because of the point I've been making for the last couple of years or so: the current US government has adopted an unprecedented, pre-emptive and dangerous policy of aggression against a number of nations and has shown is prepared to ignore every international law in existence and force regime change on those nations it has earmarked.

Today the only form of protection a nation has against Imperial Crusades of George W. Bush is to have its own nuclear deterrent. Iraq, N. Korea and Iran were deemed as part of an "axis of evil" by the chimp. Iraq, even though it didn't pose a threat to a one-winged fly, got duly bombed to fuck. North Korea on the other hand, far more of a 'danger' and actually in possession of WMDs is still intact and pretty much safe from an attack.

The lesson is clear for all to see: get yourself a nuke and you will be safe from the long arm of the neocons. But if you are in their sights and you don't have any... well, kiss goodbye to your territorial integrity and your government, cos the B52s are coming.

As I said many times, the current escalation of events in both Asia and the Middle East and the growing list of nations urgently wishing to obtain nukes is ALL the fault of the policies of the spineless chimp and his PNAC puppetmasters.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

How long is Israel going to be allowed to invoke the old 'they're all trying to get us and destroy us' when it hasn't been true for decades?

And moreover, why oh why do people think Iran (or anyone else) would want to guarantee it's complete nuclear destruction by launching a nuclear attack on Israel (which, let's remind ourselves once more, it's the proud owner of at least two hundred nuclear warheads, compared to zero between all of the Arab nations)? Does people really think the Iranians are prepared to kill every single one of their own, even if they were really prepared to kill thousands of Israelis?

We've had enough that same old cry which today has about as much validity as a seven quid note.

Leaving aside Iran is not an Arab country, Iran has continually called for the complete destruction of Israel - not negotiations, not even its removal from occupied land, but its complete destruction.

You may be right and that Iran will get nuclear weapons and not use them. however if you're wrong millions will be dead in Iran and Israel (and probably due to fallout in neighbouring countries as well). if I'm wrong and Israel launches an attack on Iran when Iran has no willingness to use a bomb there will likely be a few dozen (maybe even a few hundred fatalities) and the continuing long-term drain of several hundred killed per year.

it seems the cost of me being wrong is less than the cost of you being wrong. I suspect Israeli politicians will think the same way.