Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why do we shop so much?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i got 2.50 a week when i was 15 plus a pound a day dinner money. I used to top it up by buying my mates weeks worth of dinner tickets off her for £2.50 (so she could buy fags) and then id spend the rest on a saturday up town.:)
    I must say my mum used to buy clothes and stuff for me when necessary. I only used to spend it on tat. Mobile phones werent about then.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, I don't think she was bragging or rubbing our noses in it.

But she was trying to claim she's hard done-by because she has no job and only £110 a month shopping money. She was trying to claim poverty to people who work their arses off all week and still only just have enough to get a crate of beer and curry on a Friday night.

I don't think I'm hard done-by - I know I'm a lot luckier than some kids my age, but one of the reasons I get that amount is because I have 3 parents chipping in. A lot of my friends get at least the same amount spent on them, if not given to them as allowance. I pay for everything with that £110, and I normally end up with £40-50 to save. Okay, maybe my essentials (silly things like make-up, credit etc) aren't the same as yours (food, electricity, petrol), but I'm 15! I don't have anything else to spend my money on.

I was a bit lazy about getting a summer job this year, aswell, because I only looked for one like a fortnight into the holidays, and everywhere I ring up is full. I'd still like one (if anything, to keep me from day-time tv), but its a bit late now :/
  • Options
    I religiously commute to the shops in sales time - I adore Bay Trading and they have really knocked down the prices. But otherwise, I'm incredibly reluctant to spend a lot on clothes. I save as much as possible. Phone credit can wait if I'm trying to keep the cash. I do love to shop but I dedicate a day once in a while to splashing a tiny bit on some new bits and bobs. My make up is quite expensive stuff but it lasts an age so I buy those sorts of things every 4 months if that.

And just because I'm as tight as everyone else, I didn't get pocket money till I was 15, it's was £25 a month! I found going out fairly inexpensive - I took into account I was 15 and didn't bother trying to to blag my way into clubs and such and spent time with friends doing things that didn't break the bank. Funny thing is (as ordinarily whilst I was at college) worked only Sunday's...I'd get £110 a month. I think that's where the grief is coming from because, I earn the same amount as you're given. Of course now I'm working almost everyday - but I'm hardly touching that money to be honest. I have enough fancy things and decent clothes and make up that as I said, a treat day once and a while is all I need :)
  • Options
    i love shopping, had a whole day of it yesterday!! and its even better when its not my money im spending, but my mums :D
  • Options
    I love shopping :D There is something so utterly satisfying about getting a right bargain. Like my £20 prom dress (TkMaxx :heart:). Or my £50 down to £10 military jacket.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    but if nobody claimed job seekers then tax would be less
    But then thousands of people would be living in squaler (sp?) while you're feeling great about not having to pay tax... :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    But then thousands of people would be living in squaler (sp?) while you're feeling great about not having to pay tax... :rolleyes:

Ilora x
    true. You have to bear in mind that there are a lot of people, JSA is a godsend, and the difference between having food on the table or starving.
    Not everyone abuses the system like Ilora, so you cant tar everyone with the same brush. Id rather Ilora abused it to buy £100 bras, than several other people starved because of no welfare state.
  • Options
    Not everyone abuses the system like Ilora, so you cant tar everyone with the same brush. Id rather Ilora abused it to buy £100 bras, than several other people starved because of no welfare state.

:lol:
  • Options
    Not everyone abuses the system like Ilora
    What the fuck????
    Jobseeker's Allowance

For people who are available for and actively seeking work.
    For men aged under 65 or women aged under 60.
    Are you capable of working and:

out of work or
    working less than 16 hours a week?
    You may be able to get Jobseeker's Allowance.

You may have to make a joint claim with your partner. Ask an adviser for details.
    To get benefit you will need to discuss your availability for work and jobsearch activity every two weeks.
    If you have paid enough National Insurance contributions you may be able to get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
    If you have income and savings below a certain level you may be able to claim income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
    Jobcentre Plus or Jobcentre staff will give you the help you need to find the right job or training.

How the FUCK am I abusing the system?? I meet ALL the requirements for claiming Job Seekers Allowance.

NO WHERE DOES IT SAY WHAT I MUST AND MUST NOT SPEND IT ON.

SO FUCK THE HELL OFF WITH YOUR ACCUSATIONS.
  • Options
    Ilora, no one is saying whether you're eligible for it. People are saying you ABUSE it.

See the difference?

Btw..

"To get benefit you will need to discuss your availability for work and jobsearch activity every two weeks."

Why haven't you got a job yet?

YOU'RE NOT GOING AND GETTING A JOB, TO HELP YOUR MEANS, YOU'RE USING TO BUY FUCKING BRAS. I FUCKING PAY FOR YOUR JSA AND EVEN I CAN'T AFFORD A BRA AT £10.

Lazy bint.
  • Options
    No, I'm sorry. I don't see the difference. It doesn't say ANYWHERE in the rules what JSA should be spent on. So no, I am not abusing anything.

I am upholding my Job Seekers Agreement as agreed by my personal advisor; I am doing everything I can to get myself a job and I turn up every fortnight and sign on at my local job centre.

What I do not understand is why you're all so fucking pissed off about it. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with you whatsoever. It's my decision whether or not I claim JSA and there's nothing you can do or say to change that.
    It also has nothing to do with you, what I choose to spend it on either and quite frankly it's none of your fucking business really is it?

so, to conclude; I am not abusing anything, I am entitled to claim it. There should be no problem.
  • Options
    No, I'm sorry. I don't see the difference. It doesn't say ANYWHERE in the rules what JSA should be spent on. So no, I am not abusing anything..

Yeah you are, because it's an allowance to help your means whilst looking for a job. If you had any sense, you would have used that money to go and get a suit for an interview, busefare there, etc. Not abuse it on bras here there and everywhere.
    I am upholding my Job Seekers Agreement as agreed by my personal advisor; I am doing everything I can to get myself a job and I turn up every fortnight and sign on at my local job centre.

Obviously not, because you've been too picky in the past, here, here.
    It also has nothing to do with you, what I choose to spend it on either and quite frankly it's none of your fucking business really is it?

But it DOES darling, when you pull stunts like this and this.
    so, to conclude; I am not abusing anything, I am entitled to claim it. There should be no problem.

...Sure.
  • Options
    I dont think it should be available to those still living with their parents tbh.
  • Options
    I dont think it should be available to those still living with their parents tbh.

i don't think it should be available to people who are supported by their parents. but then some people live at home, but their parents can't/won't provide anything but a roof over their head. it all gets a bit messy.

the best thing would be if people who didn't need it (even if they are entitled to it) didn't claim it. but yeah. don't think that's likely to happen.

how come this always ends up in fashion, anyway?
  • Options
    Ilora, the key criterion is "actively looking for work".

If you were, you would have one. Much as you try to illustrate otherwise, you aren't that thick. Snobby, picky and bone-idle, yes, but not stupid.

Still, I'm glad I slave away at work to buy you Karen Millen clothes. Half the time I have to shop at tesco and Primark, but hey, lets not be bitter. So long as you have nice clothes, who gives a fuck about those of us who work for a living?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Half the time I have to shop at tesco and Primark, but hey, lets not be bitter.

bitter about what?

the vast majority of my clothes are either second hand, or primada specials. am i bitter? fuck no. my favourite jeans might have only set me back £12, but it was £12 I earned. there is something you can wear that money can't buy you, and that's pride.

i've got mine. it's this season's, darling.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    there is something you can wear that money can't buy you, and that's pride.

*applauds*
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    there is something you can wear that money can't buy you, and that's pride.

:yes:

New av = prettyness
  • Options
    shopping....hmmm, shall we get back on topic?

i personally love shopping and in the past couple of weeks i've bought about 6pairs of shoes, loads of clothes, new underwear etc. But all this comes out of the money i earn from my summer temping job as a secretary for the worlds pervy-est boss imaginable! I hate it the job and the pay is really shitty, but i dont like asking my parents to get me stuff...they still give me about 100quid a month for petrol and lunches (i live outside the UK, petrol prices are much lower) but i feel way to embarassed to ask them for anything else.

when i was 15 i got about 20quid a month which was hell to live on but, it taught me a lot about how to manage money, i'm still not good at it...but when i desperately need to watch my spending (like now, because my parents are away) i can manage...limiting myself to just under 10quid a day which covers me for all meals and sometimes maybe a top.

i am a huge bargain hunter and everyone i know seems so shocked at how i can get gorgeous skirts for about 7quid and a pair of shoes for the same price when both have been knocked down from about 40quid.

oh i love shopping!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    how come this always ends up in fashion, anyway?
    It's usually because Ilora decides to tell us all about something ridiculous that she's bought at the same time as complaining she only gets £44.05 a week to spend on whatever rubbish she likes. I really would have thought that she would have learnt by now, after getting flamed mercilessly every single time she mentions it.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I love shopping, but being 15, with no job, and only £110

ONE HUNDRED AND TEN?

OK, I don't exactly go short of money....I'm given my child benefit each month rather than pocket money, but out of that I have to pay for EVERYTHING, including the majority of my food... I also have a (awful) job, and I think I'd be pushing it to say I earn more than you a month.

At the same time though, I manage to pay for my mobile bills, insurance, clothes and food each month and enjoy myself too! I've just been on two holidays practically one after the other and I'm going away AGAIN on Friday....

How £110 is not enouigh for you amazes me....
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    the vast majority of my clothes are either second hand, or primada specials. am i bitter? fuck no. my favourite jeans might have only set me back £12, but it was £12 I earned. there is something you can wear that money can't buy you, and that's pride.

Fair point that.

I'm dressed in tesco's specials today, but its stuff I thought with my own money.

I don't know how people can live with themselves on JSA. I was unemployed for a good few months, and it was hell.

Karen Millen indicates more money than taste anyway.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Karen Millen indicates more money than taste anyway.

heyyyyy, i have a karen millen shirt that is the sex!

and it was £2.99 from the st. gemma's hospice shop. woot. ;)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I don't want this thread to be used as an alternative bitchfest, so I am going to close it too...
This discussion has been closed.