Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why do we shop so much?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dunno boout everyone else on here, but i love shopping. However, recently ive been trying to take the approach of "i wont buy that bcos i dont need it", but its soo hard when you see a top that you know would look lovely on u!
Is anyone else like this??
What are the reasons that you go shopping?

Comments

• Options
    to have more and more nice shiney new posessions.
  • Options
    i've got like that. it's much harder for me to allow myself to buy something which i'm happy about it. i blew around £1000 when i started uni, i was just so frivolous and bought whatever i wanted. i used to spend a fortune on clothes, but now i'm so much better. but still never seem to have any money! treated myself to a pair of fcuk jeans from tkmaxx yesterday for £17. :)
  • Options
    wow, bargain! its annoying, bcos i always try to buy clothes in the sale+i aint used my student loan, i use my own wages, but i still end up skint before my nxt pay day!
  • Options
    I must be one of the very few people who doesn't enjoy shopping. I shop just because I have to... and as rarely as possible!
  • Options
    I love shopping, but being 15, with no job, and only £110 allowance each month, I can never really afford things in topshop etc. I mean, they can charge up to £30 for a plain t-shirt, just because it has a print, which probably cost very little to transfer. I like h&m, because they're sometimes half the price of topshop, but more colourful, and Bay Trading have wicked sales. I bought 3 tops in there the other day for £12, which if I'd bought new in topshop would have cost me at least £60.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I love shopping, but being 15, with no job, and only £110 allowance each month

only?

i used to get £2.50 per week pocket money when i was 15, and that was if i was good!!
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I love shopping, but being 15, with no job, and only £110 allowance each month
    Jesus Christ.

I thought I was lucky when I got £50 a month :eek:

That's crazy, what could you possibly need to spend £110 on a month at 15 years of age!?

Ilora x
  • Options
    I don't go shopping very often, but when I do, it's at a point where I have saved a lot of money from working and go through the sales of the stuff I wouldn't normally afford and manage to get some nice things.

Got £100 off a dress the other day :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and :eek: to 'only' £110.

I used to get £20 a month from my mum, and that was only if I did my share of the housework and cooking [/in my day]
  • Options
    £50 a month (plus all that lovely benefit you scrounge off me) is a lot of money.

£110 a month indicates parents with more money than parenting skill. I bet mummy and daddy feel guilty for something.

Why do women shop so much? I don't know, but I can't move in my house for falling over hideous pairs of shoes and dresses that are even more vile. The wife and taste are rarely acquainted:(
  • Options
    i love shopping, but don't have much money to spare these days, so mostly raid charity shops, ebay and bargain type shops like tk maxx.

i get a bit upset if i have to spend over £15 on any one item. apart from my new wintery coat, which was £30 :heart:
  • Options
    i hate shopping. but then so do alot of other plus sized women - the range tends to be crap.
  • Options
    i agree with that! im a size 12, but my ive taken my mum shopping a few times and she's a 18/20! there's a very limited range in new look, etc!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    £50 a month (plus all that lovely benefit you scrounge off me) is a lot of money.
    My parents stopped my allowance when I turned 18. I've only been claiming benefits since then. I've never had both allowance and JSA. And it's not like I knock on your door and demand £44.05 off you personally. :yeees:
  • Options
    And as for shopping, (going back to the original topic, for once) I adore shopping, and if I could make a career out of it, I'd be stonking rich lol.

I love shopping, but I'm such a miser lol. It'll take me all day to pluck up the courage to actually buy something! I'll spot it, have a look at it, then go away, think about it then come back and buy it.. (if I really do want it)

Most of the time I'll say 'I don't need to spend £2.50 on Marie Claire' so instead I'll save up and buy something I really really want, rather than keep spending a fiver here, a fiver there.

Ilora x
  • Options
    About six months ago, I was getting £40 a month from my mum and stepdad (though my family aren't well off at all - they still struggle to pay the rent every month). But I found that wasn't enough - I couldn't afford to go out at the weekends, or buy anything but absolute essentials. I was also spending at least half on credit for my phone. So I wrote to my dad, and, seeing as he's never paid my mum any child support, he agreed to send me a seperate allowance, which I'm saving for university. I would get a saturday job, but i'm struggling with school work at the moment, and don't have the time.
  • Options
    im 15, never had pocket money and i'd only get the odd fiver off my parents once in a blue moon - the only time i ever got money was at xmas and my bday (within 4 days of eachother) so i'd have to be very sparing with the money and spread it out over the year...(about £170)
    So filthy chav, you are so lucky to get £110 a month! I can never imagine getting that. I'm having to work now to treat myself, but its only for the summer :(
  • Options
    i hate shopping. but then so do alot of other plus sized women - the range tends to be crap.

:yes: I sympathise, having that problem myself. Instead, I choose to devote any spare money I have to accessories and shoes, then team them with wardrobe basics.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    About six months ago, I was getting £40 a month from my mum and stepdad (though my family aren't well off at all - they still struggle to pay the rent every month). But I found that wasn't enough - I couldn't afford to go out at the weekends, or buy anything but absolute essentials. I was also spending at least half on credit for my phone. So I wrote to my dad, and, seeing as he's never paid my mum any child support, he agreed to send me a seperate allowance, which I'm saving for university. I would get a saturday job, but i'm struggling with school work at the moment, and don't have the time.

How many essentials are there wheen you are 15? I can't think of any, especially not that cost £40 per month in total. You should consider yourself lucky to get £110 a month.
  • Options
    I got £20 a month when I was 15
  • Options
    I'm not a big shopper at all, but I am a bargain-addict. So when I do go on a shopping trip (whether to the supermarket, shopping centre or newsagent) I come home with ten different things I consider to have been fabulous bargains. Usually, about an hour later I realise they're all utter tat and/or I don't need them at all, and wish I'd saved that 50p x ten :-(

That said, I'm definitely only in it for the bargains, and sometimes I love a good old shopping trip. I got a divine floaty 100% silk skirt the other day, reduced from £115 to £25. Couldn't believe my luck, as I'd had my eye on it for near enough a year!

I love charity shops too, and could spend all day in some of them. Hidden treasures...among a whole load of rubbish.
  • Options
    How many essentials are there wheen you are 15?
    That would be phone credit. Absolute ESSENTIAL!!!! :yeees: :p lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I was only given £20 a month when I was 15. And I had a job, which payed me a ridiculously low wage.

Back on topic - We shop because the media tells us to, most likely. I really don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes just because they're "designer". H&M is my favourite shop of all time - nice clothes at decent prices.
  • Options
    i was a freeloader when i was 15!
  • Options
    Hey, seriously, it's not her fault she gets more than you lot did at her age. When I was 15 I got £20 a week. So like, £100 a month. That stopped as soon as I got a job at 16.

It's hardly her fault is it? Leave the poor girl alone!

ETA - now I've post-whored... I shop because I like to look good and have new stuff to wear - it makes me feel good. I don't like spending a fortune though - Primark is my best friend.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:

Don't have to explain yourself to this lot pal, you have your reasons for getting your money and that's it. It isn't anyone else's business why! :D
  • Options
    My parents stopped my allowance when I turned 18. I've only been claiming benefits since then. I've never had both allowance and JSA. And it's not like I knock on your door and demand £44.05 off you personally. :yeees:

but if nobody claimed job seekers then tax would be less
  • Options
    Hey, seriously, it's not her fault she gets more than you lot did at her age.

nope, but it's a bit cheeky to describe it as 'only' £110. i've got a full time job and i'd wet my pants with excitement at the prospect of having £110 a month to spend on things that aren't electricity, or kitchen roll.

when i was 15, i got £1 a day on weekdays and £2 on saturdays, and that paid for all my school dinners too. anything else i earned myself. oooh, when all these fields were green etc.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    nope, but it's a bit cheeky to describe it as 'only' £110. i've got a full time job and i'd wet my pants with excitement at the prospect of having £110 a month to spend on things that aren't electricity, or kitchen roll.

I see your point mate, but she is only 15. I'd have probably said the same thing at the same age... 4 years later, I'd kill to go back and have £100 to spend on myself a month too!

Just think it's a bit harsh that people are questioning her - I don't think she meant it to come across how it looked.
  • Options
    I don't think she meant it to come across how it looked.

No, I don't think she was bragging or rubbing our noses in it.

But she was trying to claim she's hard done-by because she has no job and only £110 a month shopping money. She was trying to claim poverty to people who work their arses off all week and still only just have enough to get a crate of beer and curry on a Friday night.
This discussion has been closed.