Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The indespensable 'Was the use of the A-bomb in Japan justified' thread

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Address the genocide, and then explain to me how my sacrificing twenty six months of my life in Vietnam, fighting against that evil, was a poor choice made for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i'm sorry you choose to do that, i'm sorry you believed what you were doing was right...

And tell me... if the British were to invade Ireland, and begin the execution of EVERY Catholic on the island, would you still be lecturing me about the "poor choice" I was making to take a stand, come to your island, and shed my own blood to prevent what they were determined to do?

If you do not take a stand against the genocide? Then you give it silent affirmation, with your moral cowardice.
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    Address the genocide, and then explain to me how my sacrificing twenty six months of my life in Vietnam, fighting against that evil, was a poor choice made for the wrong reasons.

you sound like some of the current soldiers who say they went to war to overthrow a terrible tyrant such as Sadam who carried out genocide, and i already said, isn't it ironic that it's because of your beloved leaders who go on the podium, that it's because of the news programmes that talk of this tyrant that people went to a war they shouldn't have went to
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    And tell me... if the British were to invade Ireland, and begin the execution of EVERY Catholic on the island, would you still be lecturing me about the "poor choice" I was making to take a stand, come to your island, and shed my own blood to prevent what they were determined to do?

If you do not take a stand against the genocide? Then you give it silent affirmation, with your moral cowardice.

what? here the Vietnamese dind't invade America and slaughtered you, you invaded them, it's a poor analogy tbh
  • Options
    Going to tell me now that Hussein and his sons were simply poor, misunderstood souls who had the best interests of their people as their first concern?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    what? here the Vietnamese dind't invade America and slaughtered you, you invaded them, it's a poor analogy tbh

You said I made a "poor choice" to fight in Vietnam.

Ergo...

You SUPPORT the genocide of the Dega.

That shoe fit you well?
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    Going to tell me now that Hussein and his sons were simply poor, misunderstood souls who had the best interests of their people as their first concern?

nope, though i don't think it should have been invaded on the pretense they were "mass murderers with WMD's" when it's clear there was a much more ulterior motive than that, and i don't think thousands of young Americans, particularly after 9/11 be brainwashed into thinking they were doing their country a favour, hits home when the coffins start coming back over the water
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    You said I made a "poor choice" to fight in Vietnam.

Ergo...

You SUPPORT the genocide of the Dega.

That shoe fit you well?

nope, i don't support genocide of any kind, i just don't think invading another country is the right thing to do, and was that the reason for the war in Vietnam in the first place, i thought the real reason was to stop the spread of Communism
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    it's a poor analogy tbh

It is an ABSOLUTELY APROPOS analogy.

Would you be here whining about US interference, if 58,000 of us gave our lives to prevent the wanton genocide of your family, your friends, your countrymen? Should we have stood by and allowed Hitler to have his way, unimpeded? He was not invading the US, ya know...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    nope, i don't support genocide of any kind, i just don't think invading another country is the right thing to do, and was that the reason for the war in Vietnam in the first place, i thought the real reason was to stop the spread of Communism

The United States did not "invade" South Vietnam; we fulfilled our treaty obligations, and prevented NORTH Vietnam from invading the South.

Need to read up on that precious "history", or at least, that which is not "revised".
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    It is an ABSOLUTELY APROPOS analogy.

Would you be here whining about US interference, if 58,000 of us gave our lives to prevent the wanton genocide of your family, your friends, your countrymen? Should we have stood by and allowed Hitler to have his way, unimpeded? He was not invading the US, ya know...

so 58,000 people gave their lives to prevent genocide, or did they do it because they thought they were preventing genocide when in reality they were being used by their leaders
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Vietnam was unjustified. It was a war during a power struggle between two superpowers.

On a note of recent events, we could see a similar situation with China wanting to invade Taiwan. The US said it will stop them. Oh dear. Worlds Largest two armed forces clash.

I hope to God they both have common sense. I can't Justify China's side on this one.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Vietnam was unjustified...

Tell that to the Dega. Tell that to the Cambodians. Tell that to the Laotians. Tell that to the Thais.

Tell it to ANYONE who does not buy into the load of bullshit that you suck down...
  • Options
    What has Vietnam got to do with the Japanese?

I don't see how the two compare. Why not bring battle of Hastings in and every other battle and war ever?
  • Options
    Whilst i agree with rest of what you've being saying or am not enough aware of the details of the situation to disagree, the below quote:
    Globe wrote:
    Should we have stood by and allowed Hitler to have his way, unimpeded? He was not invading the US, ya know...

America did, for a long while. They got invloved when Japan attacked American soil as well as Germany declaring war on them.
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    Tell that to the Dega. Tell that to the Cambodians. Tell that to the Laotians. Tell that to the Thais.

Tell it to ANYONE who does not buy into the load of bullshit that you suck down...

Should ask the people of China, Guatemala, Indonesia, Peru, Laos, Cambodia, Chile, Grenada, Libya, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama or Iraq (to name but a few) whether they are grateful for America's intervention in their countries, Thanatos? ;)
  • Options
    Globe wrote:

You mock CNN, and yet believe that what "historians" forward is "factual", when, in reality, it is simply the press covering an event from the perspective of distance and time. However... it is no more sacred because it appears in print than if it were to be presented on Fox News.;)

Yeah good point. However I'd sooner believe something an academic wrote than something on Fox News.
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    Taking a stand against genocide is "unjust"?

NO ONE "forced" me to go to war... I enlisted, I chose the Marine Corps, I requested infantry, I requested Vietnam, and I requested a second tour after I saw what was coming. I PUT MY LIFE BEHIND MY MOUTH, AND MY BELIEF SYSTEM, rather than simply running that mouth on internet forums. And I left a gallon of my own blood in Vietnam, rather than stand back and mutely observe the coming genocide from a position of detached safety.

You chose to go to Vietnam to kill peasants for some false notion of "freedom" and you're proud of that? :eek:
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    Tell that to the Cambodians.

Which ones? The ones that the US carpet bombed?

You're fucking crazy.
  • Options
    Hong Hanh is falling to pieces. She has been poisoned by the most toxic molecule known to science; it was sprayed during a prolonged military campaign. The contamination persists. No redress has been offered, no compensation. The superpower that spread the toxin has done nothing to combat the medical and environmental catastrophe that is overwhelming her country.

There are an estimated 650,000 like Hong Hanh in Vietnam, suffering from an array of baffling chronic conditions. Another 500,000 have already died. The thread that weaves through all their case histories is defoliants deployed by the US military during the war. Some of the victims are veterans who were doused in these chemicals during the war, others are farmers who lived off land that was sprayed. The second generation are the sons and daughters of war veterans, or children born to parents who lived on contaminated land. Now there is a third generation, the grandchildren of the war and its victims.

Teams of international scientists working in Vietnam have now discovered that Agent Orange contains one of the most virulent poisons known to man, a strain of dioxin called TCCD which, 28 years after the fighting ended, remains in the soil, continuing to destroy the lives of those exposed to it. Evidence has also emerged that the US government not only knew that Agent Orange was contaminated, but was fully aware of the killing power of its contaminant dioxin, and yet still continued to use the herbicide in Vietnam for 10 years of the war and in concentrations that exceeded its own guidelines by 25 times. As well as spraying the North Vietnamese, the US doused its own troops stationed in the jungle, rather than lose tactical advantage by having them withdraw.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,923715,00.html

Not America's proudest moment methinks...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You chose to go to Vietnam to kill peasants for some false notion of "freedom" and you're proud of that? :eek:

You don't know what he did you complete shit, or the reasons why he went or what he did when he was there.
  • Options
    You don't know what he did you complete shit, or the reasons why he went or what he did when he was there.

He volunteered for Vietman...thats enough for me. Do you think Vietnam was justified?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    He volunteered for Vietman...thats enough for me. Do you think Vietnam was justified?

Different subject entirely. You said he volunteered to kill peasants in the name of a misguided notion of freedom, which is a shitty thing to say (to be fair I expect it from you), you don't know if he was traumatised by the experience, what he did when he was there or his reasons for volunteering.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

You know, I'm pretty sure that "to kill peasants" isn't on the application form. In fact, I'm pretty certain that wasn't his motovation at all.

BTW What is the difference between an unemployed/blue collar American and a VietCong?

So easy to be sanctimonious 30 years after the event.
  • Options
    I'll tell that to all the raped Asian women, the people who lost their relatives, the dead civilians (over 2 million), and of course, the people poisoned and who have sustained terrible burns from napalm. Not to mention the freindly fire incidents...
  • Options
    You know, I'm pretty sure that "to kill peasants" isn't on the application form. In fact, I'm pretty certain that wasn't his motovation at all.

BTW What is the difference between an unemployed/blue collar American and a VietCong?

So easy to be sanctimonious 30 years after the event.

I know people join the army for all sorts of reasons, often economic....but the fact that Globe was in the Marines, volunteered for Vietnam and attempts to justify it 3o years later makes me think he's not a very nice person.
  • Options
    Different subject entirely. You said he volunteered to kill peasants in the name of a misguided notion of freedom, which is a shitty thing to say (to be fair I expect it from you), you don't know if he was traumatised by the experience, what he did when he was there or his reasons for volunteering.

Read his posts...he's always glorifying US atrocities.
  • Options
    He's a true American, leave him alone. He knows the US is always right. If they weren't, why would th most Honest governemnt in the world, his own, tell him that?

They are doing God's work.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I'll tell that to all the raped Asian women, the people who lost their relatives, the dead civilians (over 2 million), and of course, the people poisoned and who have sustained terrible burns from napalm. Not to mention the freindly fire incidents...

Why all the raped Asian woman? Surely the US can only be blamed for those uin Vietnam (and probably only those raped by the US or at a stretch the South Vietnanese forces). The North vietnamese and the Viet cong weren't a bunch of angels either - more mass killings were done by the communists than by the US/ARVN.

And why concentrate on Naplam. OK I admit is not nice, but then neither is the VC burning peasents alive in their homes because they supported the Government and the US.

And friendly fire is not just in Vietnam. One of the most famous friendly fire incidents was the USAAF bombing US troops just before Operation Cobra in WW2 killing several hundred of them - does that mean WW2 was wrong.

I may disagree with Globe over many things, but he served his country with honour and he'll always get my respect for that.
  • Options
    Yeah "my country right or wrong" huh? What a crock. :mad: