Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Express Shows How Nice it is again....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
1.jpg?Monday,%2001-Aug-2005%2000:06:09%20BST

Apparantly the Human Rights Act should be scrapped to prevent us from terrorists. :rolleyes:

What morons buy this shit?

(Jim V please put the picture in, i don't know what i do wrong)

Comments

• Options
    Is this what you're after? :)

dailyexpress0108052jw.jpg

Sums up the Daily Express quite nicely.
  • Options
    What shite. Clearly they have no idea of anything.
  • Options
    Again we see the methodology of clever wording used to associate foregone guilt to those "rounded up" despite the fact that no evidence has been presented to the public on any of these men. Nevertheless, we are to believe they are "cowardly".

So much for innocent until PROVEN guilty.
  • Options
    Hasn't at least one of them apparently confessed Clan?
  • Options
    Considering the sources I wouldn't put much legitimacy in claims that anyone has confessed nor that such confession would be worth much in the well known context of "we now assume the right to beat what we want to hear out of you".

Smoke and mirrors bb.
  • Options
    Good to see they understand the HRA 1998 well.

The parentals buy the Express (habit I think) and I was having this argument with them, and I won because I had facts and the Sexpress doesn't. yay.
  • Options
    Was Diana pregnant then???
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Was Diana pregnant then???

Yeah, didnt you know, she was a right slapper.
  • Options
    Considering the sources I wouldn't put much legitimacy in claims that anyone has confessed nor that such confession would be worth much in the well known context of "we now assume the right to beat what we want to hear out of you".

Smoke and mirrors bb.

I was just trying not to judge it before I'd heard the case, something you apparently havent done. I havent decided whether these men have anything to do with it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Again we see the methodology of clever wording used to associate foregone guilt to those "rounded up" despite the fact that no evidence has been presented to the public on any of these men. Nevertheless, we are to believe they are "cowardly".

So much for innocent until PROVEN guilty.

I agree there hasn't been enough evidence presented publicly, but that really wouldn't affect your opinion much anyway would it, you'd quickly dismiss it. Because you already know who did this don't you?

Tell me, what would it take for you to believe that 'Islamic' terrorists were behind the Lodon and attempted London bombings?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    They want to scrap the human right act!? WTF! So basically they want permission to torture people? Doesn't that make us as bad as Sadam Hussein? What next chopping off the hands of thieves? :mad:
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    What next chopping off the hands of thieves? :mad:

Hey - it might stop some of the repeat offenders...?

Three times and you lose a hand.

Seems to offer a pretty good deterent to me!

Maybe a finger or two...

G.
  • Options
    And when they have no hand and can not get a job, I presume you will be more than happy to pay for their benefit?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    They want to scrap the human right act!? WTF! So basically they want permission to torture people? Doesn't that make us as bad as Sadam Hussein? What next chopping off the hands of thieves? :mad:

That's a bit of a leap - scrapping the Human Rights Act doesn't mean that you want to introduce torture or hand chopping into the British system. It was illegal within the UK to torture supsects before we incorporated the Human Rights Act, scrapping it wouldn't change UK law in that regard.
  • Options
    Actually bb, "hearing the case" is precisely what I've been arguing all along. Since Mr. Blair is so keen to forbid any truly transparent public enquiry into all the aspects of "the case" I contend that there is far more "conviction in the court of media-manipulated public opinion" than verifiable concrete EVIDENCE to be shown for any of the alleged suspects.

And no skive, I can merely advance my suspicions of the far more likely culprits in the absence of any legitimate investigation. Newspaper article references to "officials said..." or "investigators informed us..." may suffice for you, but more critical minds demand slightly more verifiable proof, especially from those exposed as repeated liars and whitewashers.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    That's a bit of a leap - scrapping the Human Rights Act doesn't mean that you want to introduce torture or hand chopping into the British system. It was illegal within the UK to torture supsects before we incorporated the Human Rights Act, scrapping it wouldn't change UK law in that regard.

The Human Rights Act has many parts to it one is freedom from torture.
  • Options
    Actually bb, "hearing the case" is precisely what I've been arguing all along. Since Mr. Blair is so keen to forbid any truly transparent public enquiry into all the aspects of "the case" I contend that there is far more "conviction in the court of media-manipulated public opinion" than verifiable concrete EVIDENCE to be shown for any of the alleged suspects.

I assume you are suggesting that this is tied in with all the other terrorist attacks, something I find odd really given the scant details so far.

I guess what Skive and I are saying is that neither Skive, or I or you know really anything about these most recent attacks. It could have been anyone, so jumping to suspect either 'al queda' or the security services is premature.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

Yes, but thats not our only protection, we were protected before that came in.
  • Options
    And no skive, I can merely advance my suspicions of the far more likely culprits in the absence of any legitimate investigation.

But what evidence have you that anybody else is more 'likely'?

It's just seems to me that you are also too quick to jump to conclusions, your assumption that these events are most 'likely' the work of the government is no better than somebody else asuming that Islamic terrorists are to blame.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

I know. But if the HRA was removed that does not mean that the existing law on torture within the UK goes with it. You are making a leap by saying that by getting rid of the HRA that people want permission to torture - when there is no evidence that they do.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    But what evidence have you that anybody else is more 'likely'?

It's just seems to me that you are also too quick to jump to conclusions, your assumption that these events are most 'likely' the work of the government is no better than somebody else asuming that Islamic terrorists are to blame.

in all fairness thats more widespread and likely than islamic terroists
  • Options

That HM Govt is blowing up British tube-trains? I personally find it pretty unlikely and with no real evidence.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dear God! Its nice to see that idocy is still alive. While it made me laugh, I stopped when I realise that people must actually beleive this.

So, we do exactally what the terrorists want to prevent them? I don't see how this works. If we react with paranoia, the terrorists have practically won their battle, by proving they can get at us.
  • Options
    That HM Govt is blowing up British tube-trains? I personally find it pretty unlikely and with no real evidence.

Why is it unlikely that the "HM govt" would blow up trains? Weird.

Oh, and protection from torture from who, exactly?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

did i say that, no, im just saying the government might not be as down about these things as the populus are ;)

and that, HM government have far more power than these terroists will ever have, and thus need to be watched far more carefully as they can 'legitimately' remove all my rights as a person to a fair trial etc etc
  • Options
    Why would suicide bombers even care about their rights?! Their plan is to is to kill themselves and after that I don't think their rights will really matter to them.
  • Options
    Why would suicide bombers even care about their rights?! Their plan is to is to kill themselves and after that I don't think their rights will really matter to them.

OOhhh good point. Of course they don't care. It's a nice excuse from the PTB to push everybody else about a bit in the name of "protecting them" though, isn't it. :yes:
  • Options
    did i say that, no, im just saying the government might not be as down about these things as the populus are ;)

You said it was more likely and widespread - the only inference I could draw is that you thought it was more likely and widespread that HM Govt blows up tubes

and that, HM government have far more power than these terroists will ever have, and thus need to be watched far more carefully as they can 'legitimately' remove all my rights as a person to a fair trial etc etc

I agree - but that's a different argument. And the fact that the government has to be held to account doesn't mean that we shouldn't take steps to arrest (if possible) or if unavoidable kill, terrorists.
  • Options

What is?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    its more widespread the fact that my right to freedom of thought and living a fair life have more chance being removed by the government than any terroist