Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disengagement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fully support it.

Though, I was wondering if anyone had links about how prepared the PA is to actually gain control over the infrastructure? Here I mostly think about providing work, which the workers usually come to Israel to do.

Comments

• Options
    * oh, bugger *
  • Options
    * oh, bugger *

At least don't blame me for breaking the civility here, as my question is pretty straight forward with no reason for anyone to start a WW3.
  • Options
    I know, but do you every get the sense of impending doom?

I agree though, a step in the right direction, is a step in the right direction...
  • Options
    It's okay MoK, I'm sure we can have a civilised discussion ;):p

That Israel is pulling out of Gaza is no doubt a good thing. So I do support such action.

However this must be followed in good time by a full withdrawal from the rest of Occupied Palestine (a.k.a. the West Bank). I must say at the moment I share the concerns of many observers that the pullout from Gaza is just a cynical 'compromise' ploy by Sharon to claim large chunks of the West Bank as Israeli territory for good.

Gaza can get on its feet. But that means full indepence from Israel, control over its borders, control over its airport and airspace, and full, safe passage to the rest of Palestine without humilliating and time-wasting Israeli checkout controls.

I believe I've been reasonable in my comments but I'd like to hear Wendy's thoughts about them.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Gaza can get on its feet. But that means full indepence from Israel, control over its borders, control over its airport and airspace, and full, safe passage to the rest of Palestine without humilliating and time-wasting Israeli checkout controls.

For MoK's sake I won't comment on the points which may spark a discussion. But either way, relating to my original question, do you really think that there will be enough jobs to occupy the workers?
  • Options
    Don't stop for my sake, think of yourselves. You'll only get pissed off with each other.

Oh and do you think that there will be a reduction in terrorist attacks from this?
  • Options
    Oh and do you think that there will be a reduction in terrorist attacks from this?

After ther murder the other day, and after stopping an 18 year old boy heading towards Tel-Aviv with 10 kgs of "firework" (to put it mildly) on his back - No.

I hope so, though.
  • Options
    Difficult to say really. The economy is all but non-existent. And I must say, at the risk of sparking a 'discussion' ;) , that it is all Israel's fault. The place has been a miserable shambles and an occupied war zone for far too long. Massive regeneration is needed. Massive aid is needed.
  • Options
    “If the PA shows firm commitment to security and economic reform and if
    Israel seriously addresses closure, another major donor effort definitely
    would be justified. Under these circumstances an additional US$500 million
    each year could help the Palestinian economy to turn the corner.”
    James D. Wolfensohn, President, the World Bank, June 23, 2004

from the overview pdf linked to at the top of this page

:)
  • Options
    Thank you.
    Do you know within how long?
  • Options
    Well, IF[/b} Israel lifts all restrictions on travel- including between Gaza and the West bank, and IF the PA doies a better job of assuring Israel's security than Israel did, and IF Donors gives lots of dosh, the report suggests that the economy could return to pre-Intifada levels within about 5 years.

My guess, is that that won't happen .............
  • Options
    I'm very much a 'live life for today' / 'one step at a time' kind of guy. This seems to be a step in the right direction. You know, if everyone thought like me and could forget about past transgressions, I believe the whole situation could be sorted out tomorrow. Lets all sleep on it, like, and just be friends! :p

But yea, a step in the right direction :)
  • Options
    Well, IF[/b} Israel lifts all restrictions on travel- including between Gaza and the West bank, and IF the PA doies a better job of assuring Israel's security than Israel did, and IF Donors gives lots of dosh, the report suggests that the economy could return to pre-Intifada levels within about 5 years.

My guess, is that that won't happen .............

They weren't self-sufficient in the job department pre-intifada.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

so? the economy isnt the beall and end all? why cant they rule themselves

imo israeli soldiers should pull out of west bank and gaza, settlements should no longer be built, and they work upon developing a autonomous region of israel eventually leading to a seperate state, with all citiziens having dual citizenship so they can pass freely :)

it would stop a lot of the problems, and kill almost all of the recruitment for hamas etc
  • Options
    so? the economy isnt the beall and end all? why cant they rule themselves

imo israeli soldiers should pull out of west bank and gaza, settlements should no longer be built, and they work upon developing a autonomous region of israel eventually leading to a seperate state, with all citiziens having dual citizenship so they can pass freely :)

it would stop a lot of the problems, and kill almost all of the recruitment for hamas etc

The economy is be all and end all, when you stand with a working force in need of a job to provide basic food on the table.

Dual citizenship is not going to happen - fifth column and all.

Your last paragraph about Hamas recruitment, I have to say, seems like mere wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

Remind us why that is
  • Options
    Remind us why that is

Because they were/are dependant of jobs in Israel.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Because they were/are dependant of jobs in Israel.

Remind us why that is
  • Options
    Remind us why that is

No.
    It'll just cause MoK a heart attack.

Seriously - there's no reason to get into it, as we in advance know that we disagree on why that is.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    No.
    It'll just cause MoK a heart attack.

Seriously - there's no reason to get into it, as we in advance know that we disagree on why that is.

But, its central to the querstion you appear to be asking.

Was Gaza dependant on the Sate of Israel before 1948?

We should be told.

• Options
    How is it central?

And no, Gaza wasn't dependant of Israel - natural enough, as Israel didn't exist pre-1948.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    How is it central?

And no, Gaza wasn't dependant of Israel - natural enough, as Israel didn't exist pre-1948.

Its central because Israel has dominated Gaza for a very long time - Gaza is als filled with refugees from 1948 to whom Israel has a responsibility - and whilst it suited Israel to maintain Gaza as a reserve for cheap labour, it made sure that Gazans needed the jobs. Once the Intifada started Israel did eveything it could to dismantle what remained of the Gazan economy.

• Options
    Internal corruption and power-battles is, I assume, totally unrelated to the present situation?

Either way, I am not giving in to your attempts of an unnecessary fight - I know your stance, you know mine, and frankly none of us are mature enough to discuss this issue with each other. So lets just leave it.

Basically I have gotten the answer to my question. The Palestinians are more or less fucked over with the disengagement - once the border to Israel is closed.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Internal corruption and power-battles is, I assume, totally unrelated to the present situation?

You would of course be assuming incorrectly.

Have a look at the Sinai - it seems to be in recovery.

Freedom of trade and movement with other neighbouring countries AND the West Bank would make Gaza a lot more sustainable.

I thought this forum was "politics and debate" rather than "I want to build up a theory which completely ignores political reality" ..........

Huzzah
  • Options
    Sinai is under the control of Egypt - you can't possibly compare that with the PA.

You really are eager to start up a fight? When you can't provoke answers ouyt of me which will lead to a discussion, then you resort to demeaning me. Good one.
  • Options

Makes me giggle, it really does.

Israel doesn't exist now, for fucks sake. It can't. It's a fucking fiction.
    Sinai is under the control of Egypt

Again, not possible outside your own head, which seems to have detached from reality quite a bit.
    The Palestinians

More lies.
    Dual citizenship

Can't happen. Cause citizenship can't happen.

Seriously, what you have is two groups of delusionals killing each other over who's delusion everyone should be made to treat as real. Perhaps the problem lies with the process of being forced into others delusions, and not with which delusion is "better". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Sinai is under the control of Egypt - you can't possibly compare that with the PA.

You really are eager to start up a fight? When you can't provoke answers ouyt of me which will lead to a discussion, then you resort to demeaning me. Good one.

Yes - Sinai IS Egyptian - but once upon a time it was occupied by Israel - in fact by some of the same settlers who now occupy Gaza. The point is that it is now part of a country which has control of its own borders - it remains unclear whether Palestinians will control even Rafah Crossing at this point, or what will happen to the Philadelphi Route. It is perfectly clear that there won't be freedom of movement between the West Bank and Gaza.

As for "demeaning" you - I merely pointed out that arguing that the internal politics of an Occupied people is nothing to do with the Occupiers is attempting to " build up a theory which completely ignores political reality"

That is comment on your posts in this thread - in no way is it an attack on you.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Basically I have gotten the answer to my question. The Palestinians are more or less fucked over with the disengagement - once the border to Israel is closed.
    No they're not. That appears to be little more than wishful thinking to be honest.

An isolated and savaged war zone for 40 years, I didn't expect Gaza to have the economy of the USA exactly.

Palestine was properous and self-sufficient before, and it will be again, thank you very much. For that to happen you simply need some basic things: such as for Gaza to have complete and secure independence and territorial integrity (unstable places don't attract a lot of business), to have its own airport up and running, to have full and free transport links with the rest of Palestine (Palestine has a lot to offer, from excellent olive oil to fruits and vegs to Dead Sea products to the tourism industry), and of course to have a workforce that is not routinely jailed without charge for months on end, or shot dead.

So in other words: Gaza will only be fucked up if Israel wants it to be. If Israel doesn't interfere and does all the right things then Gaza will do very well.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Israel doesn't exist now

Care to tell me where I am currently placed then?
    Or is everything surrounding me a fiction of my mind.

Yes, I have understood your attachment to the idea of relativity - but you're taking it a bit too far at points.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No they're not. That appears to be little more than wishful thinking to be honest.

An isolated and savaged war zone for 40 years, I didn't expect Gaza to have the economy of the USA exactly.

Palestine was properous and self-sufficient before, and it will be again, thank you very much. For that to happen you simply need some basic things: such as for Gaza to have complete and secure independence and territorial integrity (unstable places don't attract a lot of business), to have its own airport up and running, to have full and free transport links with the rest of Palestine (Palestine has a lot to offer, from excellent olive oil to fruits and vegs to Dead Sea products to the tourism industry), and of course to have a workforce that is not routinely jailed without charge for months on end, or shot dead.

So in other words: Gaza will only be fucked up if Israel wants it to be. If Israel doesn't interfere and does all the right things then Gaza will do very well.

1. You need to have an educated work-force to work under the circumstrances you describe. I am talking about the plain worker who comes to Israel everyday to do manual labour - someone who without an education is highly unlikely to have a management job in an office.
    2. What Dead Sea products do the Palestinians produce?