Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

im not a fan of organised silences

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote:
    Well it was quite an experience to see the whole of Islington stopped, everyone stood out of their stopped cars, just spending the time to reflect on what had happened, surrounded by all the people you work in the same building with but never normally see.
    Yes, I felt the same. I was in the quadrangle at UCL and it was actually very moving. I agree that it's as much a sign of solidarity as of respect.
  • Options
    :thumb:

That is what I was trying to get at, but couldn't find the words. It's all about the Empathy Epidemic which comes around every now and then - death of Diana is just another example...

dirty slappa' :p

seriously though other than being upset for what happened, theres not much else the average person can do really is there, and i think people like to think theyre doing something, however getting called a cunt for not wanting to partipate out of principle cause "everyone else is doing it" is just as bad as those who say "you shold believe in this"

actually silenced my mate at public when i said i didnt take part simply because itd be a token gesture and thus utterly disrespectful the families, his response "buts its paying your respects though innit" despite what i just said - so some people really have been brainwashed it seems
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Yes, I felt the same. I was in the quadrangle at UCL and it was actually very moving. I agree that it's as much a sign of solidarity as of respect.

how about just getting on with things, i havent forgotten it...

people do things like this to provoke a response, so imo theyve won as it formed a with us or not attitude which improves their recruitment further and does nothing to help prevent it
  • Options
    Does anyone konw where the minutes silence originated from in the first place - the first I remember of it was at football matches/sporting events, but not sure where they came from originally?
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    Does anyone konw where the minutes silence originated from in the first place - the first I remember of it was at football matches/sporting events, but not sure where they came from originally?

World War One.
  • Options
    It was allways 1 minute silence, but since 9/11 we've seemed to have imported a two minuted silence.

ERRATUM: In a post on this thread, i sped read a post, and quickly wrote a reply, that, after the ant-terrorism march (as the poster suggested) that we should burn all Reigious text.

I didn't realise the poster had suggested that the silence may have been 'disrespectfull' as i dont agree with this. I would agree with Jimbo V and concur that is was the community showing unity

Many thanks, john.
  • Options
    We always used to do a two minute silence for Remberance Sunday (and up until WW2 and in recent years have also held it on Armistice Day). The idea of us only doing 1 minutes silence before 9/11 is wrong.
  • Options
    i dont want to call you a liar, or say that your putting up crap, but for more clarity, can you elaborate?

Who are the we? and where? Rememberace service at the Cenotaph? and do you include the 70's and 80's?

At footabll matched it's allways been 1 minute at grounds here in London and at Wembley for the International matches.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/remembrance/history/silence_history.shtml

To be honest I find it terrifying that people do not know this whether you agree with it or not...
  • Options
    It was allways 1 minute silence, but since 9/11 we've seemed to have imported a two minuted silence.

NQA is correct, Rememberance Day has been a 2 minute silence for as long as I can remember. The Tsunami, however, introduced a 3 minute silence.
  • Options
    how about just getting on with things, i havent forgotten it...

people do things like this to provoke a response, so imo theyve won as it formed a with us or not attitude which improves their recruitment further and does nothing to help prevent it
    It's not that I haven't been getting on with things, but I got everything done yesterday even though I took 2 minutes out of my day to be still and mark it.
  • Options
    In itself it's not disrepectful to the 53. It's disrepectful to everyone else who died that day, and Friday, and Saturday etc and it's disprespectful when it's done for political reasons, or because people feel bound or pressured into it.

As harsh as it might sound to some people, I agree with this statement completely. Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to those victims and their families. But why should we make an exception for them and not any other tragedies that have happened in our lifetime through terrorism/illnesses/accidents, etc.
  • Options
    i share your sentiments......

...but we'd be holding a minutes silence forever, wouldn't we?
  • Options
    i share your sentiments......

...but we'd be holding a minutes silence forever, wouldn't we?

Which is why I feel it's unfair to pick which deserves the minute silence and which doesn't.
  • Options
    there's more things you can do to respect and help the victims and family of the victims than hold a few minutes silence
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But why is standing somewhere being silent a "mark of respect" anyway?

I will respect other people's view that it is a mark of respect, and won't talk to someone if they are holding a silence, purely out of politeness. But why is it a mark of respect?
    I think it's so people can pray? Or reflect?

It's a moment where everybody's together focussed on one thing.