Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

im not a fan of organised silences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
according to this other forum it makes me a c**t as im not patriotic

glad i dont live in romford now :thumb:

anyway whats so wrong with people paying their respects in their own way, ill remember the lessons continously than do 2mins of silence then think "oh ive done my bit" - its like buying a live aid cd or actively trying to get change even if by just talknig to people to educate them on these things

Comments

• Options
    Doesnt take much just to show 2 minutes respect though does it..........
  • Options
    But why is standing somewhere being silent a "mark of respect" anyway?

I will respect other people's view that it is a mark of respect, and won't talk to someone if they are holding a silence, purely out of politeness. But why is it a mark of respect?
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Doesnt take much just to show 2 minutes respect though does it..........

if its a token gesture without any real meanging, its a mark of complete disrespect - id rather not get involved in it and pay my respects my own way and elt those who do the 2mins silence get on with it
  • Options
    What forum is that if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    just some local one from around romford area of havering/essex - tory stronghold

realised how bigotted they are there from their recent threads - if all people who 'hated' this country were forced to leave theyd only be stoners left :p
  • Options
    I do it to be polite and respectful, but i really don't see the point.
  • Options
    just some local one from around romford area of havering/essex - tory stronghold

realised how bigotted they are there from their recent threads - if all people who 'hated' this country were forced to leave theyd only be stoners left :p
    You should try the Daily Mail forums :D
  • Options
    Well it was quite an experience to see the whole of Islington stopped, everyone stood out of their stopped cars, just spending the time to reflect on what had happened, surrounded by all the people you work in the same building with but never normally see.
  • Options
    I don't want to be cynical but where were all these people when the IRA bombed Enniskillen or Omagh.
  • Options
    What does silence do? for me the minute of silence says: "we have given in to this because we are not standing up for what we believe is good and right, and we are now being silent and not shouting about it and making a stand"...I think a peaceful march against terrorism worldwide would have been a much better mark of respect...2 minutes of silences is disrespectful and and easy option.
  • Options
    >>>>I think a peaceful march against terrorism worldwide would have been a much better mark of respect...2 minutes of silences is disrespectful and and easy option<<<<

here, here! The all go into the Churches, Mosques and Synagogues and burn every Bible, Qa'ran and Torrah in the land :yippe:
  • Options
    I don't taking to time to reflect on those that have passed is disrespectful, and it certainly didn't feel that way.
  • Options
    no but people don't reflect on those that have passed, and surely they would want us to be fighting against the forces that killed them?
  • Options
    I don't think you can tell me, or anyone else, what we were doing. There was also the deliberate decision to stand outside as a mass protest against the idea that Londoners should hide away or become afraid following the bombs.
  • Options
    Ok i didn't know the last bit and i apologise for judging what people were doing...

Anyone know if there actually a march being organised ?
  • Options
    my grandma was a bit put out by the idea of the silence, to be honest.

she always associated the two minutes with the whole rememberance day/war dead thing, respecting not only people who died - everyone dies - but people who fought for our country and for our freedom and who risked their lives so that we could live as we like.

she was saying, 'but what did these people actually do?' and i think she has a fair point. it's horrible that these people died, of course it is, but it's horrible that my aunt died, and it's horrible that my friend's dad died and it's horrible that the little boy down the road died, and no one holds a silence for them.

having said that, i'm not opposed to other people doing it, as long as they understand why i don't want to.
  • Options
    >>>>I think a peaceful march against terrorism worldwide would have been a much better mark of respect...2 minutes of silences is disrespectful and and easy option<<<<

here, here! The all go into the Churches, Mosques and Synagogues and burn every Bible, Qa'ran and Torrah in the land :yippe:

become like a terrorist then? good plan
  • Options
    From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4679681.stm

Before the two-minute silence, the driver of the number 30 bus targeted in last week's bombings, George Psaradakis, read a message of sympathy to the families of victims.

"In today's silence we remember them. With quiet dignity and respect we show our deep contempt for those who planted the bombs and those who masterminded them.

"As we stand together in silence, let us send a message to the terrorists - you will not defeat us and you will not break us."

Later thousands are expected to gather at Trafalgar Square to pay their respects and thank rescue and medical staff.

Londoners and members of the transport and emergency services will recite readings and poems.

my understanding is that it's around six o'clock
  • Options
    I ignored the two minuets silence, like I did the Tsunami silence. I find such things hideously disrespectful.
  • Options
    why?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

Before the two-minute silence, the driver of the number 30 bus targeted in last week's bombings, George Psaradakis, read a message of sympathy to the families of victims.

"In today's silence we remember them. With quiet dignity and respect we show our deep contempt for those who planted the bombs and those who masterminded them.

"As we stand together in silence, let us send a message to the terrorists - you will not defeat us and you will not break us."

Later thousands are expected to gather at Trafalgar Square to pay their respects and thank rescue and medical staff.

Londoners and members of the transport and emergency services will recite readings and poems.

I heard the speech on BBC News 24 today. I always do the 2 minute silence, whether it be at school or at home.
  • Options
    i remember my school made us take a 3 minute silence for 9/11 but nothing for the children of beslan, after that day i realised silences are pointless...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I don't taking to time to reflect on those that have passed is disrespectful, and it certainly didn't feel that way.

In itself it's not disrepectful to the 53. It's disrepectful to everyone else who died that day, and Friday, and Saturday etc and it's disprespectful when it's done for political reasons, or because people feel bound or pressured into it.

Those people didn't die for a cause, they didn't give their lives for others, to maintain our freedom etc. They were just in the wrong place, at the wrong time. No different from any other "accidental" death.

The whole 2 minutes thing is a joke now and don't even get me started on flowers at the scenes...
  • Options
    We do two minutes for the 1.5 million WW1, WW2 and post-war deaths. Two minutes for 53 people who had the bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time seems excessive.

And its all part of a culture which says that empathy is better than actually doing the right thing.
  • Options
    I'm with Jim V on this one. I didn't observe the silence because I was asleep (oh the shame!) but I would have done were I awake.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    And its all part of a culture which says that empathy is better than actually doing the right thing.

:thumb:

That is what I was trying to get at, but couldn't find the words. It's all about the Empathy Epidemic which comes around every now and then - death of Diana is just another example...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

defeat us in what exactly - we've won already its them changing how the victors live through fear and theyre winning as new laws are being thought of right now
  • Options
    I think silence is a bit of a half arsed way to give respect, what takes less effort than beign silent! And in school when they MADE us take 2 minutes of silence I didnt reflect upon the people who died in the war, I just stood around thinking how pointless it was to do this, and trying my hardest not to laugh at the random thigns that come into my head, as laughing during a planned silence wud make me seem like a bit of a bastard really.
  • Options
    Kermit - as I understand it, a silence would be considered respectful because you stopped what you would normally be doing. You've actively stopped working/eating/shitting/talking to take time out from your day to remember.
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with observing the silence. Grieving in your own way is something that the 2 minutes can be an addition to. And unfortunately many people will just assume that observing the 2 minutes means that they have done their bit, but you can always hope that they will go a little further.