Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But thats the way the news ratio works, 1 dead Brit = to 10 Europeans = to 1000 Asians = to 10,000 Africans.
  • Options
    quite right too.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    quite right too.

so 50 brits are more important than 3 million people from congo?
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    quite right too.

hey dickhead, the door's that way
    >
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    So people give more of a shit when things happen to their country or area. It's nothing new.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    So people give more of a shit when things happen to their country or area. It's nothing new.

thats true, it's natural to feel more empathetic to your own kind but it's just worrying that now we seem to be making so much effort to protect ourselves when people in similar countries, going through far worse, are still left behind, thats what he means by putting it into context...i think
  • Options
    hey, putting into context is; The next time you jump on the oxo here in central London i.e when it's rammed and then the doors shut, and then it pulls slowely into the tunnel.

Hopefully, on a positive note, the UK populace will now become more politicalised and call for Blair to be impeached, along with the withdrawal of Brit troops from Iraq.
  • Options
    ......and for the total unconditioned withdrawal of Kach terrorist's ('Settlers') from the occupied territories; The West Bank and Gazza, which is the worlds biggest open prison.

have a nice relaxing evening all, regards, john.
  • Options
    hey, putting into context is; The next time you jump on the oxo here in central London i.e when it's rammed and then the doors shut, and then it pulls slowely into the tunnel.

Hopefully, on a positive note, the UK populace will now become more politicalised and call for Blair to be impeached, along with the withdrawal of Brit troops from Iraq.

blair ant be impeached, they reelected him after the events of iraq, therefore the people decided to keep him
  • Options
    I am all up for helping other people and aiding other countries, but perhaps its a good idea to sort out or own before hand.
  • Options
    I couldnt agree more.

1 British life to me means more than 100 africans one.
  • Options
    Wouldn't have anything to do with the colour of their skin would it?
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

why? we all descended from Africa, they are our brothers aswell
  • Options
    Im not saying our lives are more valuable than someone elses in some other country. Im saying how can we try to interfear and fix other peoples countries when ours is like this, perhaps once our society is perfect enough to tell people how theres should be then it will be ok.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I couldnt agree more.

Care to explain your theory behind this and why this is?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I am all up for helping other people and aiding other countries, but perhaps its a good idea to sort out or own before hand.

We do, however, live in a global economy.
  • Options
    Yeh but it aint a global country :P
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Yeh but it aint a global country :P

You've lost me. :confused:
  • Options
    I think he's trying to argue that people who happen to live in a random place are more worthy of life than people who happen to live in another random place.
  • Options
    No im not saying that at all. No one has more right to life than another person.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    No im not saying that at all. No one has more right to life than another person.
    But "our" people should be helped first.

Even though "our" people aren't dying.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

So what are you saying?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Is it wrong to pay more attention to issues in your local and national area - issues that are going to have more of an imediate affect on yourself or those around you.
    I think it's completely understandable.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yes, everyone has an equal right to life. How ever, that does not mean it is other peoples responsibility to make sure they do. I agree that starvation, extreme poverty is unacceptable. Yes someone has to do something about it, but you cant say to a specific group of poeple it is ther responsibility. It is everyones.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Is it wrong to pay more attention to issues in your local and national area - issues that are going to have more of an imediate affect on yourself or those around you.
    I think it's completely understandable.

No, its not wrong. But to do so to the detriment of others is IMO.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Yes, everyone has an equal right to life. How ever, that does not mean it is other peoples responsibility to make sure they do. I agree that starvation, extreme poverty is unacceptable. Yes someone has to do something about it, but you cant say to a specific group of poeple it is ther responsibility. It is everyones.

Yes it is everyone's responsibility. However it is more some people's than others. I'm not personally responsible for the unfair trade laws am I?

But that is not what you originally stated is it?
  • Options
    No i said that we should fix problems in our own country before doing so in others.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    No i said that we should fix problems in our own country before doing so in others.
    Why?

Our problems don't, the last time I looked, include children starving to death, and those that survive dying of AIDS instead.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

So it isn't everyone's responsibility then. You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    how does that imply it isnt everyones responsibility?