Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Muslim? Change Your Name

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I could never date someone with such a common English name as Morris. :razz:

:lol:
  • Options
    Where did Born Slippy mention the word darkie? :confused: Am I blind or was it edited out or something?
    Yes it has been edited out, presumably by the mods. The original title of the thread had the not too flattering "says darkie" at the end of it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm still waiting on Slippy. Has he just not been around after he made this thread? :confused:
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I could never date someone with such a common English name as Morris. :razz:

oi surname here!

and id never change it for anyone ;)
  • Options
    I'm still waiting on Slippy. Has he just not been around after he made this thread? :confused:

He's been around. Perhaps this thread was trolling?
  • Options
    well whatever. If he doesn't reply I'm sure we can all pretty much guess his answer anyhow.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well, that just shows how far Britain has to go, if a guy has to change his name to get a job.

Hmm. If we were all to have British names, there would be a very limited scope. Bear in mind alot of names are not British. Like mine, William, is not.

So, John Smythe is my new name.

Well John is biblical and thus us Middle-Eastern anyway, as is mine (Thomas) and lots of others....

'British names' would be more Celtic like the Welsh but there you go............

Maybe we shoudl all change our names to Dafydd, Llewelyn etc
  • Options
    I think it could make a difference though, for example a newsreader gets or loses a job based on their popularity with the viewers (as far as I know) and it's an unfortunate fact that people with an English sounding name will likely strike up a better relationship than a name that perhaps a lot of the viewers would struggle with. However, that does not necessarily relate to just non-English sounding names, people often change their names to something with more 'ring' to it in film and media etc. even if it's an English name, if you get me.

So yes, people sometimes do change their name to land a job and I think in some cases it is justifiable. Whether it's how it should be, I reserve judgement. I think that many non-English names are very desirable, there's one on the tip of my tongue a girl I used to know have that was gorgeous. Can't remember now though :chin:
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well John is biblical and thus us Middle-Eastern anyway, as is mine (Thomas) and lots of others....

'British names' would be more Celtic like the Welsh but there you go............

Maybe we shoudl all change our names to Dafydd, Llewelyn etc

Isn't ironic that the Middle-Eastern 'John' is seen as more acceptable by BS than the Islamic 'Tariq'.

One couldn't make it up.

:chin: