Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Muslim? Change Your Name

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Variety is the spice of life I say.

It would be a boring country if we were all called 'John Smith' or equivalent.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4079064.stm

Do you think it unfair to blame businessmen for not wanting to employ a person with such an un British, foreign name? I say fair play to making the effort of changing your name and showing some respect to the country you want to live in.

In the Muslim world, Osama Bin Laden is apparently a name to be proud of, in the English speaking countries John Wayne is a much more suitable name, even if it does not actually mean anything. What do you think?
    changing your name to show respect for the country? what the fuck? you mother fucking racist!
  • Options
    How about the country respecting the individual, since we hail ourselves and our societies of hallmarks of individual rights and freedoms?

Seems the current populist fascism is all too blind to its own hypocrisy.
  • Options
    changing your name to show respect for the country? what the fuck? you mother fucking racist!

Who? The Muslim in the article? Are you trying to get banned?
  • Options
    No, he meant you.

And why have you used the word "darkie" anyway?
  • Options
    what, cant you smell your own crap? you better show some respect for these people because if it werent for them britain wouldnt have had an empire to build on.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    And why have you used the word "darkie" anyway?

I was making fun of the neolibs who would attack me for being racist.
  • Options
    Too late for that.
  • Options
    what the fuck? now youre using the neolibs as an excuse for youre intolerable remarks. get out.
  • Options
    This is ridiculous, lets get back on topic, do you agree with the Muslim who believes that changing your name will help you land a job?
  • Options
    I thing people make judgements based on somebody's name, yes.

And i think the new generation of Courtney, Sammy-Jo and Keyleighs are going to have a hard time as well.

But, no, someone with an unusual name shouldn't feel obliged to change their name.
  • Options
    This is ridiculous, lets get back on topic, do you agree with the Muslim who believes that changing your name will help you land a job?
    had enough of the spot light ey? what you trying to prove with the pm you sent anyway?

whats ridiclous is for you to have to change your name because of youre being stereotyped.

the name adolf means noble wolf/hero. is that a name to be proud of? and you miss the fact that many in the muslims world hate osama bin laden exactly because of the stereotype he gave muslims!
  • Options
    A person should not change because of other peoples prejudices. A person who has the skill and experience should get the job and that it is wrong to discriminate against someone because of their differences

Also I suggest that you change the title of thread slippy it’s wrong to even use that word even if you are using it ironically. It has racist undertones and a person should never use that word.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4079064.stm

Do you think it unfair to blame businessmen for not wanting to employ a person with such an un British, foreign name? I say fair play to making the effort of changing your name and showing some respect to the country you want to live in.

In the Muslim world, Osama Bin Laden is apparently a name to be proud of, in the English speaking countries John Wayne is a much more suitable name, even if it does not actually mean anything. What do you think?

:rolleyes:
  • Options

What neolibs? :confused:
  • Options

Do I agree with him? What do you mean? If its his experience, then what is there to agree or disagree about? :confused:
  • Options
    Hey slippy I couldn't help but notice that you didn't answer your orgional question of...

Do you think it unfair to blame businessmen for not wanting to employ a person with such an un British, foreign name?

and your answer would be?
  • Options
    I've always found that employers tend to want the best person for the job whether there name is John Smith or Tariq Ahmed.

In a competitive world, businesses who employ only whites are going to find themselves at a disadvanatge.
  • Options
    Are you a recruitment consultant?
  • Options
    I would never change my name just to try to fit in. I wouldn't want to work for an employer who was so narrow minded that he judged people on the Englishness of their name.

Your name is part of who you are
  • Options
    My name is not British, should I change it to Morris or Miller to show respect? No, why should I, it is my family name and I am proud of it. Nobody should have to change their name.
  • Options
    I have a foreign name :( Maybe I should change part of what makes me unique to conform to the British society.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Are you a recruitment consultant?

No - are you?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No - are you?

No. I was wondering how you've "always found that employers tend to want the best person for the job whether there name is John Smith or Tariq Ahmed." if you're not a recruitment consultant. Is your name Tariq Ahmed?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No. I was wondering how you've "always found that employers tend to want the best person for the job whether there name is John Smith or Tariq Ahmed." if you're not a recruitment consultant. Is your name Tariq Ahmed?

I could rephrase to add 'In my experience' which has involved employing lots of people (both permanent and casual) and 'names' have never come into it, as well as dealing with lots of organisations which also employ people. And whilst I'm sure in a few cases people are not employed because of their names, most employers do want to get the best person for the job.
  • Options
    Do you think it unfair to blame businessmen for not wanting to employ a person with such an un British, foreign name?

Yes.

Why should someone's name make any difference?
    I say fair play to making the effort of changing your name and showing some respect to the country you want to live in.

Huh? I don't understand this logic. How is changing your name a way of showing "respect" for a country?

The name "John Wayne" is suitable for what precisely?

I think this just whole post just highlights a racist nature...
  • Options
    Where did Born Slippy mention the word darkie? :confused: Am I blind or was it edited out or something?

Of course its unfair of employers to judge on the basis of names. Mr Ahmed has shown desperate times calls for desperate measures. There are people who will conform to employers ridiculous prejiduce but no way should they have to resort to doing this.

Why "fair play" to him? It's his bloody birth name, it's not like a shirt he can exhange for something that fits better. And alot of repsect Britain has shown Mr Ahmed in return eh?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, that just shows how far Britain has to go, if a guy has to change his name to get a job.

Hmm. If we were all to have British names, there would be a very limited scope. Bear in mind alot of names are not British. Like mine, William, is not.

So, John Smythe is my new name.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    My name is not British, should I change it to Morris or Miller to show respect? No, why should I, it is my family name and I am proud of it. Nobody should have to change their name.

Are you asking me out pussycat? :naughty:
  • Options
    I could never date someone with such a common English name as Morris. :razz: