Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

tonight 7.15 channel 5, Feminism

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think advertising these desires, especially for someone who has such a high public profile, should be dealt with / frowned on / something like that.
    She didnt say she fancied children.
    completely misinterpreted by the anti feminist right wing tabloids, and then people here jump on the bandwagon, just because they already found her irritating.
    Come on, you dont have to like her, but surely you can see labling her some sort of paedo is completely OTT and undermining what paedophilia actually is.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

She does sometimes raise some good points, but for the most part I'd put her in the same shallow grave as Julie Burchill.
    :lol: Just read that.
    I actually quite like Julie Burchill too. Not as much as greer though.
  • Options
    She didnt say she fancied children.
    completely misinterpreted by the anti feminist right wing tabloids, and then people here jump on the bandwagon, just because they already found her irritating.
    Come on, you dont have to like her, but surely you can see labling her some sort of paedo is completely OTT and undermining what paedophilia actually is.

I wasn't saying she actually did :p just responding to Aladdin's comment that if she did, then it's not a crime. I don't actually know really anything about her, I just love P&D!
  • Options
    Didn't she say that she found them artistically pleasing or something (much like the classical Greek statues)? Which isn't the same as saying she wanted to have sex with young boys.

I think people see Greer as a publicity seeker (which she is now) and forget her importance in the 60s in publicising and promoting equality. Its the tragedy of more than one of the great figures that they don't die in their prime, but live onto to become a caricature of themselves.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Didn't she say that she found them artistically pleasing or something (much like the classical Greek statues)? Which isn't the same as saying she wanted to have sex with young boys.

I think people see Greer as a publicity seeker (which she is now) and forget her importance in the 60s in publicising and promoting equality. Its the tragedy of more than one of the great figures that they don't die in their prime, but live onto to become a caricature of themselves.
    That is a perfect post.
  • Options
    I have never liked her, I will be quite honest. I think she did a lot of good in putting feminism on the agenda, but that was a long time ago and now she is just an irritating pastiche of herself. Instead of setting the agenda, she seems to feel that she is the agenda, and she seems to have been consumed by her own publicity. Julie Burchill is exactly the same.

There's a difference between being confident- which is good- and being a boring, repetitive self-aggrandizing old bat. Burchill, again, is the same, and its a fate that seems to await most tabloid journalists. The Hitchens brothers (especially Chris) have done it more than most.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Instead of setting the agenda, she seems to feel that she is the agenda
    See, I dont get that impression from her at all.
    Its interesting how one person saying something, can be interpreted so differently depending on what the listener wants to think.
  • Options
    If everyone thought that everyone was great then life would be boring, I guess.

And I also suppose it becomes a circle. I dislike her because she seems so far up her own backside she can lick her tonsils clean, which means that every time she opens her gob I think she's patronising and sanctimonious, etc etc.

I have a lot of time for a lot of feminists, Greer isn't one of them. She does raise some good points, and always has done, just not enough to ever be able to tolerate her. I always see her as the feminist equivalent of morons like Peter Tatchell.
  • Options
    I like you Kermit,
    I like the fact that even when I disagree with you often I can still see where youre coming from and get the feeling that its mutual. Your wife is the same. I think youll do well together.
    (off topic)
  • Options
    I like you Kermit,
    I like the fact that even when I disagree with you often I can still see where youre coming from and get the feeling that its mutual. Your wife is the same. I think youll do well together.
    (off topic)

That was random:p

If everyone agreed it'd be boring.
  • Options
  • Options
    I like you Kermit,
    (off topic)

That's possibly the nicest thing I've ever read on these boards.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    She's such a misrable bitch.
    She's so obvioulsy in need of a good old shag.

:lol: lol you first skive........you hit the nail on the head tho, she's just another old prune and epitomises everything i hate about 'feminism', she's more masculine than feminine for a start........how she can be regarded so highly by some amazes me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If everyone thought that everyone was great then life would be boring, I guess.

And I also suppose it becomes a circle. I dislike her because she seems so far up her own backside she can lick her tonsils clean, which means that every time she opens her gob I think she's patronising and sanctimonious, etc etc.

I have a lot of time for a lot of feminists, Greer isn't one of them. She does raise some good points, and always has done, just not enough to ever be able to tolerate her. I always see her as the feminist equivalent of morons like Peter Tatchell.
    One thing that irritates me and sounds quite odd is that being a cold academic is something you'd associate with a man, the way in which she presents herself is quite masculine in my opinion. She seems to lack a certain warmth...

Do women need to be cold academics to match up to men? Must we imitate them to sit on their level?
  • Options
    why is it irritating that a woman should have masculine traits. Maybe people dont like her because shes `got ideas above her station`. Ive noticed in general that a lot of people seemed quite threatened by high intelligence, competitiveness and assertiveness in women, whereas they would be quite accepting of the same qualities in a man, even think they were desirable.
  • Options
    No, I don't like her 'cos she's a reactionary old bigot
  • Options
    Reactionary????
    Shes anything BUT reactionary.
    are we using the same definition of the word???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionary
  • Options
    Yes, I know what reactionary means thanks. I can't give you any examples, but whenever I've seen her on telly or read an interview in the paper, I've thought "reactionary old bigot"
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, I know what reactionary means thanks. I can't give you any examples, but whenever I've seen her on telly or read an interview in the paper, I've thought "reactionary old bigot"

Are we talking about the same Germain Greer? At best she's late middle age and whilst I'd struggle to describe mytself as a fan she's never struck me as reactionary or bigotted? The opposite in fact.
  • Options
  • Options
    That's possibly the nicest thing I've ever read on these boards.

Seconded. Made me smile in a happy and wistful kind of way. Cheers. :thumb:
  • Options
    :blush:
  • Options
    :)

It was a pleasant thing to say. Most people just call me a twat :lol:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I just don't like her for the reason Blagsta stated. She's a reactionary bigoted old fool, and I feel that one of my curry-induced guffs has more intelligent comments to make on female rights.

Indeed...she suffers from a seriously closed mind and an even worse chip on her shoulder.

I remember watching her on BBC News 24, think it was Hardtalk, she was discussing Australian national identity...can't say I was very impressed at all.
  • Options
    why is it irritating that a woman should have masculine traits. Maybe people dont like her because shes `got ideas above her station`. Ive noticed in general that a lot of people seemed quite threatened by high intelligence, competitiveness and assertiveness in women, whereas they would be quite accepting of the same qualities in a man, even think they were desirable.

Really? I don't know many people who are threatened by intelligent or assertive women - unless, of course, they are a certain type of self-proclaimed feminist. Something which carries with it some very undesirable characteristics/attitudes in the view of men.