Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

tonight 7.15 channel 5, Feminism

Germaine Greer talks about feminism, the history behind it and why it is still as relevant today as it was 100 years ago.

I thought some of you on here might be interested.
Ill be watching.
I :heart: Germaine Greer.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanx you for this information. Have a nice relaxing evening, john.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm... Could be interesting.
  • Options
    Germaine Greer is a horrible reactionary arse IMO.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

agree
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    tsk tsk,
    You just dont understand her like I do.
    shes fabulous.
    More militant than I am, but then again I think you need the militants to get the message across and then we can compromise.
  • Options
    I've met her. She wasn't very pleasant. I find it's easier to get people to listen to your message if you're pleasant. She was actually very, very rude.
  • Options
    tsk tsk,
    You just dont understand her like I do.
    shes fabulous.
    More militant than I am, but then again I think you need the militants to get the message across and then we can compromise.

She's horribly conservative and reactionary, not radical at all IMO.
  • Options
    I can't pick up channel five in my halls.
  • Options
    Germaine Greer is a self-confessed paedophile, and should be treated accordingly.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Germaine Greer is a self-confessed paedophile, and should be treated accordingly.
    wtf?
  • Options
    I :heart: Germaine Greer.
    She's Ok, I've seen her talk in Wrexham before, felt like she talked down to me because I work in a bar.. Well geeze, we can't all go to Oxbridge can we :p.

She's an academic and that's understandable, but at the same time personally I find she comes across as cold and not personally the sort of feminist that I'd find endearing. However, she's an intelligent woman and has inspired many people, she should be recognised as a feminist icon.

I still :heart: Ani DiFranco and anybody who's read her poetry or heard her music would probably agree with me.
  • Options
    wtf?
    She has openly commented before about the "erotic nature" of naked pre-pubescent boys.

I think that qualifies as making her a nonce, tbh.
  • Options
    Wierd
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    She has openly commented before about the "erotic nature" of naked pre-pubescent boys.

I think that qualifies as making her a nonce, tbh.
    I always thought she said it was a non sexual beauty.

I dont think theres any evidence shes actually a paedophile is there? Has anyone ever accused her of it in real life, or is this a statement bandied around too flippantly yet again?
  • Options
    I dont think theres any evidence shes actually a paedophile is there?

If she was a bloke it'd be enough to at least have a police investigation.

She admitted liking naked little boys, and it was noted at the time, but- alas- only by the right-wing media.

I just don't like her for the reason Blagsta stated. She's a reactionary bigoted old fool, and I feel that one of my curry-induced guffs has more intelligent comments to make on female rights.
  • Options
    Kermit, you would make a FANTASTIC tabloid journalist. You are greatly skilled in making something out of nothing.
    The Germaine Greer is a paedophile thing, is to do with her book `the boy` which features artistic pictures of young men and boys.
    http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1059174,00.html
  • Options
    Kermit, you would make a FANTASTIC tabloid journalist.

True that. You say it as if it's a bad thing.
    The Germaine Greer is a paedophile thing, is to do with her book `the boy` which features artistic pictures of young men and boys.
    http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1059174,00.html

...as well as her comments advertising the book at the said time.

If it was someone worth respecting I wouldn't have even commented on her comments. But she isn't.
  • Options
    well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    I think shes brilliant. Eccentric and contraversial, intelligent, charismatic and has done loads for the feminist movement.
  • Options
    I think she's definitely "controversial", mostly because she' so self-aggrandizing.

And I think she actually moves the feminist movement further away from real success, because people can just point at her, and everyone can see she's a nutcase.

She does sometimes raise some good points, but for the most part I'd put her in the same shallow grave as Julie Burchill.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    She's such a misrable bitch.
    She's so obvioulsy in need of a good old shag.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think she's definitely "controversial", mostly because she' so self-aggrandizing.

how awful to see a woman who actually has self confidence and actually LIKES herself. She isnt afraid to say what she thinks and although some of it is bound to be bullshit, just like some of what you say is bullshit, it doesnt mean everything about her is bad. She made a book about boys - the right wing tabloids jumped on her calling her a paedophile (which is only ok if its about young girls - countdowns to their 16th birthdays when they are `legal` etc)
    Tell me Kermit, did you like her BEFORE, and then when this happened, you went off her, or did you dislike her all along, and then decide that the tabloids were actually right, just because it was someone you didnt like.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    She's such a misrable bitch.
    She's so obvioulsy in need of a good old shag.

Yeah, thatd sort her out :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shes annoying as hell, my mums done more for feminism that her for christ's sake - actually my mum has
  • Options
    I could stomach her until she did the Big Brother thing.

After all she had said about the show... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    how awful to see a woman who actually has self confidence and actually LIKES herself. She isnt afraid to say what she thinks and although some of it is bound to be bullshit, just like some of what you say is bullshit, it doesnt mean everything about her is bad. She made a book about boys - the right wing tabloids jumped on her calling her a paedophile (which is only ok if its about young girls - countdowns to their 16th birthdays when they are `legal` etc)
    Tell me Kermit, did you like her BEFORE, and then when this happened, you went off her, or did you dislike her all along, and then decide that the tabloids were actually right, just because it was someone you didnt like.
    I'm a feminist and don't really count her as one of the great feminist icons personally... Sure she has power, but there are women out there from less privilidged backgrounds who have put their life on the line for such causes, have been tortured and women who have been intimidated.

Still, she's a'right.
  • Options
    my mums done more for feminism that her for christ's sake - actually my mum has
    Thats brilliant. What did your mum do?
    Whats her name? Will I have heard of her?
  • Options
    I'm a feminist and don't really count her as one of the great feminist icons personally... Sure she has power, but there are women out there from less privilidged backgrounds who have put their life on the line for such causes, have been tortured and women who have been intimidated.

Still, she's a'right.
    shes certainly not the only feminist icon and she certainly has her faults,
    I guess not all feminists have to like the same people.
  • Options
    She's good for the feminist movement in making it popular / advertising it. She's bad in that to a lot of people she might give it a bad reputation because she's a bit eccentric. Traditionally, feminists have been stereotyped as militant women who hate men and go around screaming and protesting at everything, etc. etc. and I don't think she really helps this much.

Feminism is for both genders anyway, why's it always about women? :p What about a male feminist icon? I think Kermit would do fine!
  • Options
    For what's worth it Kermit, and so much as I think she's a twat, having sexual desires towards minors is not actually a crime at all. It's only acting upon those desires that might land you in hot water.

But anyway, she's a boring, irritating twat.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    having sexual desires towards minors is not actually a crime at all. It's only acting upon those desires that might land you in hot water.

I think advertising these desires, especially for someone who has such a high public profile, should be dealt with / frowned on / something like that.