Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Schools: trainers more important than failing exams

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The qualification shows that you were able to interact with other people well enough to reach the stage where you were able to take an exam to gain a qualification. Education on mass needs to have guidelines there so that everyone is given a level playing field and order can be kept. The qualifications aren't given out on your ability to conform and become a nice complacent citizen. You need to look else where to draw Orwellian comparisons.

Nice description of 'breeding conformity' there :D

Cheers
    I'm sorry if the schools you attended didn't encourage you to partake in thinking, but i assure you they're not all like that. Believe it or not I was actively encouraged to think as part of my education.

Firstly, as I didn't go go through the British schooling system, my educational experience is irrelevant. Secondly, as I said "for many", as opposed to "for all", so is yours.........

BTW your assertion that "everyone is given a level playing field" is absurd.

:p
  • Options
    Nice description of 'breeding conformity' there :D

Cheers

The ability to interact with people i don't see as "conformity". Your interpretation of conformity firstly seems to have negative connotations, and secondly seems to be applied to anyone abiding by rules and laws. If you want to live in an anarchical state then there are plenty of places around the world that can meet those needs. A level of conformity is necessary for civilised society to exist. I think the your view on it is resonant of an A-Level philosophy book. Huxley and Orwell talk about real breading of conformity, not a necessity required for educating people on mass.

Firstly, as I didn't go go through the British schooling system, my educational experience is irrelevant. Secondly, as I said "for many", as opposed to "for all", so is yours.........

BTW your assertion that "everyone is given a level playing field" is absurd.

:p

One sentence refuting of my points doesn't really show any level of debating ability.

Which ever educational system you went through makes no difference to my point.

The rules that British schools try to uphold i think do a pretty good job as far as they can by making sure that students are able to interact with each other equally.
  • Options
    That is ridiculous. My school used to be strict on uniform but no one in my school comes in totally casually dressed. I wear dark jeans and the first time i got pulled up was yesterday, by a teacher in a tracksuit :| (She *teaches* PE and by teaches I mean uses the excuse that she has arthritus so she doesn't really do anything.)

Although my school has a sensible footwear policy it only bans high heels etc. We.ve never been pulled up for wearing trainers and the school would never jeapordise someone's exam for a problem as mundane as that.

The only thing that boy has done wrong is actually buying those particular trainers - they're awful.
  • Options
    The ability to interact with people i don't see as "conformity". Your interpretation of conformity firstly seems to have negative connotations, and secondly seems to be applied to anyone abiding by rules and laws. If you want to live in an anarchical state then there are plenty of places around the world that can meet those needs. A level of conformity is necessary for civilised society to exist. I think the your view on it is resonant of an A-Level philosophy book. Huxley and Orwell talk about real breading of conformity, not a necessity required for educating people on mass.

One sentence refuting of my points doesn't really show any level of debating ability.

Which ever educational system you went through makes no difference to my point.

The rules that British schools try to uphold i think do a pretty good job as far as they can by making sure that students are able to interact with each other equally.

Yes, so obviously the trainers are more important than the exam - it all makes perfect sense..........

I'm interested in all these places in the world which practice anarchism.

Can you name them please.......

Thank you.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Funny thing is, I always though Miss Francis was alright - although she had a rather funny temper on her!

The word you're looking for is "psychopath" to describe her. Though she always seemed to like me so I escaped the random moods.
    Baeda on this great day we greet thee...

wye-aye!
  • Options
    Are you refuting your gross generalisation or the lack of consistency in your opinion?

I did say most, I was hardly denying the existence of a generalisation. What's your point?

There is no lack of consistency. Look up the meaning of "poetic license". And it could very well be argued that the fact that the qualificvation is so important is a form of conformity too.

But I will ask again, why is the dress code more important than the qualification>
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I did say most, I was hardly denying the existence of a generalisation. What's your point?

There is no lack of consistency. Look up the meaning of "poetic license". And it could very well be argued that the fact that the qualificvation is so important is a form of conformity too.

But I will ask again, why is the dress code more important than the qualification>

Are you for real?

Utter tosh.

I've never stated anywhere dress code is more important than a qualification, even in your nice black and white world. What i did say was that the child was an arse. He was offered an alternative and refused. He would have known full well he couldn't get home and back in time, yet still decided to have a go to be an awkward prat. He knew the rules from day one, he just had gone un-noticed for X amount of time. When he got pulled up he threw his toys out of his pram.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I haven't used anything I was taught at school, it just wasted MY time.

Aren't you reading and writing as you do this very activity?
  • Options
    He was offered an alternative and refused. He would have known full well he couldn't get home and back in time, yet still decided to have a go to be an awkward prat. He knew the rules from day one, he just had gone un-noticed for X amount of time. When he got pulled up he threw his toys out of his pram.

Was it a viable alternative?

Was it a reasonable alternative?

The very mention of "alternatives" implies that you feel the rule to be more important than the examination.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Was it a viable alternative?

Was it a reasonable alternative?

The very mention of "alternatives" implies that you feel the rule to be more important than the examination.

I don't see where the implication lies at all. If they couldn't offer him shoes that fitted him, and then sent him home to change, that i would see as the school taking rules more seriously than a qualification / examination. Offering the kid shoes and him refusing just seems to me that he views his exams as less important than wearing a pair of school shoes.
  • Options
    I don't see where the implication lies at all. If they couldn't offer him shoes that fitted him, and then sent him home to change

Then you are a halfwit.

The teachers have made a false and stupid link between his shoes and his ability to perform in an exam. Clearly fucking stupid, because he could wear roped up bit's of carpet on his feet and would still have the same knowledge about whatever subject.

The teachers have fuck all to lose on this, and the poor bastard, who while not behaving in the most effective way, I admit, has a lot at stake. Possibly (probably?) he was a bit flustered at the point of doing his exams, so when faced with this authoritarian bullshit he reacted badly. He's in a position of pressure laready, why give him more crap to deal with?

BAD TEACHING THAT BENEFITTED NOBODY!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Then you are a halfwit.

The teachers have made a false and stupid link between his shoes and his ability to perform in an exam. Clearly fucking stupid, because he could wear roped up bit's of carpet on his feet and would still have the same knowledge about whatever subject.

The teachers have fuck all to lose on this, and the poor bastard, who while not behaving in the most effective way, I admit, has a lot at stake. Possibly (probably?) he was a bit flustered at the point of doing his exams, so when faced with this authoritarian bullshit he reacted badly. He's in a position of pressure laready, why give him more crap to deal with?

BAD TEACHING THAT BENEFITTED NOBODY!

Since we're in the P&D forum as opposed to the throwing insults forum, if you could permit my halfwitted self to attempt to respond to your obviously fullwitted retort then i'll humbly have a go.

There was no mention or implication of a link between his ability to perform in the said exam and the shoes he was wearing, anywhere.

Flustered my arse. If the kid couldn't work out that his exam was in 5 minutes time and it would be a 30 minute round to his house then he really shouldn't be taking an exam of any description. The kid new the rules, he broke the rules and then proceeded to fuck himself over by refusing the alternative that was offered to him. If i'd have been the kid and i saw that the teacher was obviously going to refuse to budge on the situation, no matter how unfair i thought the situation was, i'd have taken the alternative shoes, done the exam, then made complaints at the end about it. The kid was nothing short of retarded in the actions he took. He's spent 5 years of high school working towards that exam, why shoot yourself in the foot at the final hurdle?
  • Options
    But you still miss the crucial point: by not allowing him to sit the examination as was, the school have valued a petty rule ahead of his examination.

Why should he be forced to wear somebody else's shoes, it is grossly unhygienic. Would the school be liable if he contracted athlete's foot?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But you still miss the crucial point: by not allowing him to sit the examination as was, the school have valued a petty rule ahead of his examination.

Why should he be forced to wear somebody else's shoes, it is grossly unhygienic. Would the school be liable if he contracted athlete's foot?

I understand where you're coming from, but by not allowing him so sit the exam in trainers they subjected the kid to the same rules as everyone else. Every other kid managed to obey the rule with out any issues.

Personaly myself, i would have warned the child. This time you're going in, next time your not. If you go soft on kids in school though they run amock. If a teacher is seen to be ignoring or bending one rule then kids will start to think what else can i push them on. It draws a line for what is acceptable and unacceptable in the school environment. Rules that you think are pednatic and silly i think provide a stable framework that everyone being educated there can adhere to. A school environment needs to be productive and in doing so there have to be stead fast rules. They may seem unfair or unwaivering but if every childs indivudual issues with each rule were addressed then no teaching would get done.