Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Champions League Final

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hee hee! Thieving scouser! When will they learn?
  • Options
    Please explain what relevance that has to Liverpool winning the Champions League final?

Which part doesn't relate to Liverpool winning??

The comment about when Grob put players off taking penalties - as Dudek did. In each case Liverpool won.

Or the part about how the outcome of a Final prevented Everton playing in the following years tournament - something which could happen this year. IN this instance because Liverpool have won.
  • Options
    I personally think it would be tragic if Liverpool can't defend the trophy, I don't believe Everton should miss out because you can;t change it half way through the season when Everton were basically playing for the 4th spot all along and Moyes got manager of year for achieving it. But UEFA should find a way of letting Liverpool in aswell as the other 5 English clubs, OR ... they could tell Man U they can't play in it because I say so :p
  • Options
    But if they let Liverpool in a team somewhere has to lose out. Be it Man U, Everton, Barcelona, or AFC n00bTeam from Outer Mongolia.

I did hear that the league champs of the Welsh league (I think) have requested that they have a home/away tie with Liverpool and if Liverpool win they can have their spot in Europe. Good money spinner for the minnow team.

:)
  • Options
    Liverpool failed to qualify. It's a simple as that. Winning the tournament isn't good enough, the rules have been there for some time now.

There is also precedence. Real Madrid got a place at the expense of another Spanish team - Sociedad (?) - when they failed to qualify but won it.
  • Options
    Liverpool failed to qualify. It's a simple as that. Winning the tournament isn't good enough, the rules have been there for some time now.

whats your big deal with liverpool anyway...they done british football proud by showing strength and determination to actually win the thing, just like united against bayern munich, don't you think it's time to forget about rivalries and actually hope liverpool do get back and defend the thing...
  • Options
    I think that, equally, it is unfair that if Liverpool were, say, German, then they would be allowed to qualify.

If Liverpool were Italian or German then something would be wangled, but because they are English then nothing will be. UEFA have a habit of shafting English sides (the ban after Heysel was, IMHO, understandable but unfair, because Italian teams were not booted out).
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    whats your big deal with liverpool anyway...they done british football proud by showing strength and determination to actually win the thing, just like united against bayern munich, don't you think it's time to forget about rivalries and actually hope liverpool do get back and defend the thing...

It not because it's Liverpool. It's because they didn't qualify.

I don't dispute how well they played, I don't dispute that they did Engalnd (and Spain ;) ) proud.

They still didn't qualify for next year's tournament. The rules are there at the beginning of the season, this isn't a surprise.

Perhaps if the team had put that much effort into other games then they would have finished fourth.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think that, equally, it is unfair that if Liverpool were, say, German, then they would be allowed to qualify.

Just to note.

This has happened before, and it was to Real Madrid. The Spanish FA resolved it but stopping another team from entering.

If the English really do feel that Liverpool's win means that they should defend the trophy they should do the same.

Personally, I think that would be very unfair on Everton.
  • Options
    Perhaps the FA is a bit to blame, for not making things perfectly clear back in August...

It is tough on Liverpool, but the rules are the rules... Another different argument is why winning a competition does not give the winner automatic qualification for the next tournament. They have just removed that right in the World Cup, but was it always like this in the CL? I thought champions used to qualify automatically as well in the past...

And for what is worth, I think the team that wins the trophy has a bigger moral claim to qualifying for the next one than a team that finishes 4th in the league. Or 3rd. Or 2nd. They should at least have the decency of changing the name of the competition. Because "Champions" League it ain't.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is tough on Liverpool, but the rules are the rules... Another different argument is why winning a competition does not give the winner automatic qualification for the next tournament. They have just removed that right in the World Cup, but was it always like this in the CL? I thought champions used to qualify automatically as well in the past...

I'm not sure about the CL but regarding the world cup, the winner's right to qualification was removed after France's poor performance at WC 2002. Many blamed their early exit on the fact that they had no competitive qualifying and this had an adverse effect on their team as they basically entered the tournament having only played a few non-significant friendlies together.

It seems strange though that CL winners can't defend their trophy and I agree with those who believe Liverpool should have that priviledge. However, that is for Uefa to discuss and make changes so such things don't happen again in the future. But as many have said, rules are rules, and you can't just make exceptions, as much as that may seem like the right thing to do, it will end up being very harsh on another club (in this case, Everton more than likely).

It would be a travesty to Everton F.C. if they missed out and all the hard work of their players and manager was undone due to factors beyond their control. If the FA (or whoever) decided to go down that line, I would expect Everton to receive considerable compensation and I wouldn't like to see Liverpool unfairly reap the full financial benefits of CL football at Everton's expense.

It is a complex matter and while Liverpool have achieved something remarkable, it is fair to say they just haven't been good enough this season to warrant a place. Despite their heroics you can't just turn on the performances when you want. A truly great side performs well throughout an entire season. And to be fair, Everton are closer to that description than Liverpool.

Would be very interesting if Liverpool managed to blag the fourth spot from Everton, then crashed out in the qualifiers. Such an uproar there would be. :chin:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    was it always like this in the CL? I thought champions used to qualify automatically as well in the past...

When it was extended, the rights to automatic qualification were removed.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. What Liverpool did in the final, and the competition as a whole, was impressive, exciting and truly remarkable.

Sadly, they didn't qualify because they didn't finish in the top four and the FA shifting the load onto UEFA doesn't change that fact.
  • Options
    I do suspect that if it wasn't Everton is 4th then Liverpool would have been given the place, mind.