Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

yobs trash graveyard.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do they get out of trashing a childrens graveyard ...what do we do to punish them?
no link at the mo as i only just saw it on the news.
a grave yard for children has been smashed to bits ...even tried digging one grave up.
the upset this has caused the parents is obviously indescribable.

personaly i would trash everything these kids own ...and beat them severely.

Comments

• Options
    I would allow them to fix the graveyard and meet the families involved.

I would allow them to meet some of the brave children with not long left and the families of those who will be soon lying quiet.

I would allow them the oppurtunity to tend the graves for a year or so barehanded.

First, of course, I would take them to one of their own family members graves and allow them the fun of desecrating that.
  • Options
    what exactly are yobs?
  • Options
    what exactly are yobs?
    very badly behaved young people. mostly out of control and don't give a toss type of young people.
  • Options
    I think this is absolutely disgusting. They have no respect for anything or anyone. I hope they get badly punished.
  • Options
    These are the "scum" that inhabit normal decent society.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I would allow them to fix the graveyard and meet the families involved.

I would allow them to meet some of the brave children with not long left and the families of those who will be soon lying quiet.

I would allow them the oppurtunity to tend the graves for a year or so barehanded.

First, of course, I would take them to one of their own family members graves and allow them the fun of desecrating that.

I agree with all of that, except that I'd replace the word 'allow' with the word 'make' or 'coerce.' Force them to face up to the consequences of their actions.

Wasn't the word 'yob' originally an acronym, btw?
  • Options
    i'd have them publicly flogged ...seriously.
    it's time to stop all this nonsense about corporal punishment being bad.
    there is a whole heap of truth in the biblical stance ...'spare the rod you spoil the child'.
  • Options
    i'd have them publicly flogged ...seriously.

Well, it might work on some and not on others. It also doesn't fix the graveyard, which is what needs to be done first and foremost, I would say.
    it's time to stop all this nonsense about corporal punishment being bad.

For some it works, for ome it doesn't, I guess it depends on what sort of person you are dealing with. I don't think there is any real harm in getting a clout so you know what it's like when you piss someone off, but I am not convinced there is any great benefit to it either. Again, it's going to depend on circumstances.
    I agree with all of that, except that I'd replace the word 'allow' with the word 'make' or 'coerce.' Force them to face up to the consequences of their actions.

I would offer choices, it gets folk to think about things and makes them responsible, which is what we are aiming for. Using force just creates someone who is dependant on having a bigger bully around to make them behave.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

someone who is dependant on having a bigger bully around to make them behave.
    if it makes them behave ...fine.
  • Options
    My Gran lives there. It's truly unbelievable.
  • Options
    it's time we gave in to the demands of these truly barbaric idiots.
    they want violence disrespect and destruction ...lets give it to them.
  • Options
    it's time we gave in to the demands of these truly barbaric idiots.
    they want violence disrespect and destruction ...lets give it to them.

They also want your weed...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I would offer choices, it gets folk to think about things and makes them responsible, which is what we are aiming for. Using force just creates someone who is dependant on having a bigger bully around to make them behave.

Usually I'd agree completely with that, but to be honest the idea of offering a 'choice' to someone who's just smashed up a graveyard sticks in my throat a bit. They've got to face up to the consequences of their actions somehow, haven't they?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I would offer choices
    Why am I not surprise. Perhaps a day at the sea-side or a trip abroad for the really serious yobs .... :)

I know what I'd do with this scum, they're the vermin of normal decent society and need to be dealt with as such.
  • Options
    They also want your weed...
    not sure where your coming from but yes ...it might calm them down a bit.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I know what I'd do with this scum, they're the vermin of normal decent society and need to be dealt with as such.

So you would cull them?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you would cull them?
    he didn't suggest that.
  • Options
    not sure where your coming from but yes ...it might calm them down a bit.

Public floggings, violence, disrespect, destruction for punishment and warning to others, and chemical coercion to conformity. :chin:
  • Options
    he didn't suggest that.

He was refering to them as 'vermin' what do you usually do with vermin?
  • Options
    he didn't suggest that.
    Quite right morrocan roll, I didn't, its bonga just trying to be provocative in a rather nasty manner.

By the way you've really posted some excellent things on this and other threads recently.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Quite right morrocan roll, I didn't, its bonga just trying to be provocative in a rather nasty manner.

By the way you've really posted some excellent things on this and other threads recently.

So what exactly is your idea then?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So what exactly is your idea then?
    You mean your idea, obviously you were jumping ahead to all sorts of conclusions, (probably inaccurate as usual), following my comment.
  • Options
    I agree with what Klintock suggested but I hate it when shitty papers use words like yobs, hooligans, thugs for young people.
  • Options
    Public floggings, violence, disrespect, destruction for punishment and warning to others, and chemical coercion to conformity. :chin:
    i did say i wasn't sure where you were coming from with the chemical bit.
    the dope bit was a little tongue in cheek morris.
    it would be wasted on them ...like fine wine ...like throwing pearls to swine ...

what would you suggest then ...three months probation?
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I hate it when shitty papers use words like yobs, hooligans, thugs for young people.
    for certain young people ...and even not so young.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You mean your idea, obviously you were jumping ahead to all sorts of conclusions, (probably inaccurate as usual), following my comment.

You're getting quite tiresome now.

You said they (the offenders) were 'vermin' and that they should be treated as such, what is your idea for how we should treat them?
  • Options
    Mostly young people I've noticed. No wonder so many old folk are afraid of us. Hardly positive projection from today's media.
  • Options
    I hate it when shitty papers use words like yobs, hooligans, thugs for young people.

I agree, they are misunderstood and care should be thrown towards them. I mean they only vandalised a graveyard, its only a bit of fun.

Like Rick Kid said maybe a holiday or a trip to a theme park should sort them out.

Its always been like this, 20 years ago kids vandalised graveyards, honest they did, i swearrrr. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Mostly young people I've noticed. No wonder so many old folk are afraid of us. Hardly positive projection from today's media.
    i think the vast majority of people of any age know what a yob is and why they deserve the tag.
    not all young people are as paranoid as you ...i know ...i have loads of them in my family.
  • Options
    I'm not condoning their actions Tommo =/

-One in three articles about young people are about crime (Young People and the Media, Mori). 26 per cent of young people in school admit to committing a crime but only seven per cent of that group have committed crimes leading to police involvement (Mori/ YJB)
    -71 per cent of press stories about young people are negative and only 14 per cent are positive (Young People and the Media, Mori)
    -Young people are only quoted in eight per cent of stories about them (Young People and the Media, Mori)
    -Two-thirds of 11-18 year olds would not trust a journalist to tell them the truth (Mori/ Nestle Family Monitor 2003)
    -Young people see the press as finger-wagging and authoritarian, telling them what they “should and shouldn’t be doing” They also see journalists as prone to exaggeration. “They’ll get anything to put in there if they’re short of something to write. They don’t care if it hurts someone’s reputation.” said one young person
    -90 per cent of youth workers believe that tabloid newspapers give a negative impression or very negative impression of young people. 69.2 per cent believe local papers are negative or very negative, and 61.5 per cent think broadsheets are negative or very negative. (Young People Now reader survey 2004)
    -93 per cent of youth workers believe that youth groups should be more proactive in promoting positive stories about young people, while 41 per cent say that young people should be taught media literacy and campaigning. (Young People Now reader survey 2004)
    -Young people were referred to as thugs 26 times and yobs 21 times in a survey of 74 tabloid and broadsheet articles about young people and crime. Other descriptors included evil, lout, monsters, brutes, scum, menace, heartless, sick, menacing and inhuman. (Shape the Debate campaign, 2002 - 2003)

Source: www.ypnmagazine.com