Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

yobs trash graveyard.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rachael wrote:
    I'm not condoning their actions Tommo =/

-One in three articles about young people are about crime (Young People and the Media, Mori). 26 per cent of young people in school admit to committing a crime but only seven per cent of that group have committed crimes leading to police involvement (Mori/ YJB)
    -71 per cent of press stories about young people are negative and only 14 per cent are positive (Young People and the Media, Mori)
    -Young people are only quoted in eight per cent of stories about them (Young People and the Media, Mori)
    -Two-thirds of 11-18 year olds would not trust a journalist to tell them the truth (Mori/ Nestle Family Monitor 2003)
    -Young people see the press as finger-wagging and authoritarian, telling them what they “should and shouldn’t be doing” They also see journalists as prone to exaggeration. “They’ll get anything to put in there if they’re short of something to write. They don’t care if it hurts someone’s reputation.” said one young person
    -90 per cent of youth workers believe that tabloid newspapers give a negative impression or very negative impression of young people. 69.2 per cent believe local papers are negative or very negative, and 61.5 per cent think broadsheets are negative or very negative. (Young People Now reader survey 2004)
    -93 per cent of youth workers believe that youth groups should be more proactive in promoting positive stories about young people, while 41 per cent say that young people should be taught media literacy and campaigning. (Young People Now reader survey 2004)
    -Young people were referred to as thugs 26 times and yobs 21 times in a survey of 74 tabloid and broadsheet articles about young people and crime. Other descriptors included evil, lout, monsters, brutes, scum, menace, heartless, sick, menacing and inhuman. (Shape the Debate campaign, 2002 - 2003)

Source: www.ypnmagazine.com
    ...and?
  • Options
    Two-thirds of 11-18 year olds would not trust a journalist to tell them the truth (Mori/ Nestle Family Monitor 2003)

And with 19 year olds and older the figure had shot up to 99% not trusting journos.

People who wreck graves are yobs whether they're off playing truant from school or on the run from the old folks home, nothing to do with their age.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Have 'em shot. In the kneecaps.
  • Options
    This is sick something seriously has to be done, yobs are getting more and more out of hand
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    This is sick something seriously has to be done, yobs are getting more and more out of hand
    2what is that something though?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I would allow them to fix the graveyard and meet the families involved.
    QUOTE]

No thanks cos then id be up for murder.

Pure bastards thats all they are.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    . I mean they only vandalised a graveyard, its only a bit of fun.

tommo NO its not just a bit of fun at all !!!
  • Options
    I know it's tabloidy crap but was flicking through and saw that Trevor McDonald thing last night and it was about firefighters being attacked...Just couldn't understand it. Don't excuse it but I can sort of understand why people would attack the police...But when scum attack firemen and paramedics there's just no justification at all and they deserve to be punished harshly.

Same with whoever did this, it's disgusting and sick.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I agree, they are misunderstood and care should be thrown towards them.

Ah, a kneejerk response to somehing, why am I not surprised?

There was no sympathy towards these individuals, more a comment about the media portrayal of teens.
    I mean they only vandalised a graveyard, its only a bit of fun.

Sadly, to the people who did it, that's exactly what is it.

Address that, and you will resolve the problem.
    Its always been like this, 20 years ago kids vandalised graveyards, honest they did, i swearrrr. :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that people of my generation (for I was a teen 20 years ago) were much better behaved?

From experience I can assure you that we weren't - and neither were my parents generation.
  • Options
    Perhaps cutting their hands off would help?

Hey, if this was Saudi Arabia, thats what would happen.
  • Options
    You want all Saudi laws Mat, or just some?
  • Options
    Or maybe some slave labour? That'd shut the bastards up.

TBH, When they attack firefighters, I think the firefighters should be able to set them on fire... Or maybe just give them a good kicking.
  • Options
    I don't really...understand the mentality behind something like that. I remember walking through a childs grave yard...it was heartbreaking - there were teddies, child trickets and toys, beautiful messages which just oozed pain and heartache. And I could feel that, I was almost moved to tears...but to disturb their graves, ruin all that...is disgusting. I can't even step on graves and each and everytime I have, I've apologised.

I don't know what you can do to punish them really - you can lock them up in cushy juvenille...things (sorry, I'm not sure what they're called - detention centres?), where they're plied with treats, day trips and privileges, you can get them to tend the graves, meet the families...but then again...they did it in the first place shows their lack of respect and compassion. I wonder how they feel? To me it feels like they must just be numb.

Sorry, this doesn't toss up much in the way of discussion. It's just disgusting.
  • Options
    what we need to do its bring back the Death penality, flogging in the town square and be like america and their criminal justice ways ie. nick a car = a year in jail
  • Options
    that really is absoutely dispicable and disgusting, they should deffinately be forced to repair the grave yard, and be forced to meet the families of those who have relatives there, and most deffinately be locked away for a while.

of course, if it was one of my siblings, or in the future, my kids, and I knew who was responsible, I would want to beat the shit out of them. but that makes me worse now, doesnt it? :banghead:
  • Options
    what we need to do its bring back the Death penality, flogging in the town square and be like america and their criminal justice ways ie. nick a car = a year in jail

Death? To easy for them.

They need to suffer for that. Forced Labour would stop it, a couple of years working hard, on just enough food to survive. Doing something useful. Like Mining salt.
  • Options
    I know somebody of 19 who was proud once of when he woke up from being unconscious due to excess alcohol, going to attack the nurse that was trying to care for him.
  • Options
    I don't know what you can do to punish them really - you can lock them up in cushy juvenille...things (sorry, I'm not sure what they're called - detention centres?), where they're plied with treats, day trips and privileges, you can get them to tend the graves, meet the families...but then again...they did it in the first place shows their lack of respect and compassion. I wonder how they feel? To me it feels like they must just be numb.

Cushy you mean like Feltum Young Offender Institution, the one which is consistantly near the bottom of the list in the prison league tables, where there are alligations that the guards put two kids they know will fight into cells together and bet on who comes out on top, that kind of cushy?

I'm surprised and saddened by the large number of you who are advocating lynching them, the crime is aborant certainly, but the death penalty or public beatings?
  • Options
    Public beatings are extreme, at least we should allow them the dignity of being beaten in private. So Feltham's seems pretty appropriate...
  • Options
    I think its wrong to classify yobs as always being "young people", they're not, yobbism is rife among a few 20/30 or even 40 year olds.

In my view yobs who resort to the base levels of mindless violence and destruction we're read about recently, should be dealt with harshly.

I'd have no compunction in putting them in stocks in town squares encouraging people to torment & humiliate them. For a second offence they should be tied to whipping posts in the same squares and given a good thrashing until their backs turned into shredded flesh.

I think after a few examples of this type of punishment we'd see a sharp reduction in yob behaviour. :)

Mind you our left-wing mamby-pamby's would be up in arms "apologising" for the yobs by blaming their social environment, upbringing, and every other weak excuse they could muster
  • Options
    Normally I'd have a measured response. In this case though, because I'm too upset and incensed, I think a suitable measure would be to torture them. Then mutilate them. I know it's out of character for me because I normally preach forgiveness rather than punishment but sometimes we all lose our standards. I wish I could sit these people down with the families of the peoplem in the graveyard and tie them to a chair and force them to answer for what they have done (with words).
  • Options
    You're right Shy, the yobs should be made to meet their "victims" face-to-face if thats what the "victims" would like.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'd have no compunction in putting them in stocks in town squares encouraging people to torment & humiliate them. For a second offence they should be tied to whipping posts in the same squares and given a good thrashing until their backs turned into shredded flesh.

Because Britain was a much better place when we had punishments like this, wasnt it?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Because Britain was a much better place when we had punishments like this, wasnt it?
    Saudi Arabia, and other Moslem states don't suffer from yobbism as we do - lesons to be learnt perhaps?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Saudi Arabia, and other Moslem states don't suffer from yobbism as we do - lesons to be learnt perhaps?

No they dont, why dont you emigrate.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No they dont, why dont you emigrate.
    Why should I? Thats not a very friendly response bonga, you'd miss me anyway wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why should I? Thats not a very friendly response bonga, you'd miss me anyway wouldn't you?

No, I doubt anyone on here would miss you, you are possibly the dullest poster I've had experience of.

Comparisons with the Arab world are pointless anyway, unless of course you are suggesting there isnt any culture difference and ideas that work there will definately work here.
  • Options
    What I'm implying, if you had but the slightest intellectual capacity to realise the fact, is that religion can, and does form the social cohesiveness for many "yob-free" states, and that as we've discarded religion in this country so has crime, selfishness, and yobbery increased. We need to return to God's teachings. Social liberalism has got much to answer for.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Jesus sure will be 'proud' of people like you claiming to follow his teachings...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What I'm implying, if you had but the slightest intellectual capacity to realise the fact, is that religion can, and does form the social cohesiveness for many "yob-free" states, and that as we've discarded religion in this country so has crime, selfishness, and yobbery increased. We need to return to God's teachings. Social liberalism has got much to answer for.

When were we a 'God fearing nation without crime'?