Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Engagement Ring

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its supposed to be one months wages. I think that this was the tradition because it not only showed that you had enough money to support the person you were going to marry - but also buy the cost of a ring being so much it showed that you were also making a serious commitment to them.

If your not going to get married for years and years don't buy a ring yet - save up some money and buy a nicer one closer to the time.

I know your going to all think i am stupidly stuck up but i'd personally be really offended if I found out my wedding ring came from H Samuel - you might as well get her one from Argos - they are both cheap and tacky - your better off going to a jewllers and buy a nice antique (not second hand) one.

But don't propose because she is nagging you to do so - you have to be happy with the decision as well.

I want to see more pictures of your baby its too cute.......
  • Options
    There's also ernest jones, http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=3004&goToPage=1

but the cheapest ones are more around the £200/300.

As everyone else has said though i would feel really upset if i found out that my boyfriend only proposed because i had been nagging him, not because he did infact want to be with me forever/marry me.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I know your going to all think i am stupidly stuck up but i'd personally be really offended if I found out my wedding ring came from H Samuel - you might as well get her one from Argos - they are both cheap and tacky - your better off going to a jewllers and buy a nice antique (not second hand)

it's each to their own, i reckon. i personally wouldn't mind in the slightest having a ring from lizzy duke or h samuel, as long as it was pretty-looking, but would HATE to buy an antique ring, cause i'd have it in my head that it was cursed (why isn't the original owner still wearing it?) and feel dead uneasy all the time.

i also know how much loose diamonds cost, and i'll be bejiggered if i let my future husband pay £1000 ernest jones/beaverbrooks prices for a ring that just isn't worth that much. i'd rather he paid £50 for one from argos and spent the £950 left over on something useful and/or fun. i'd only injure myself with a huge expensive diamond, anyway.

everyone always looks at me in horror when i say that, like i should be expected to milk my husband for all he's worth. but it would be our engagement and my ring, and if we're happy with argos, we're happy. the strength of the marriage bears no relation to the size of the ring :p
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    would HATE to buy an antique ring, cause i'd have it in my head that it was cursed (why isn't the original owner still wearing it?) and feel dead uneasy all the time.

i also know how much loose diamonds cost, and i'll be bejiggered if i let my future husband pay £1000 ernest jones/beaverbrooks prices for a ring that just isn't worth that much. i'd rather he paid £50 for one from argos and spent the £950 left over on something useful and/or fun. i'd only injure myself with a huge expensive diamond, anyway.

Lol thats why I said antique not second hand - the second hand ones always give me the creaps but antique ones are often sold of as part of bigger estates and collections.

You could always buy a cheap loose diamond and get someone to make it into a ring for you - that way its cheap and personal and probably better quality than a cheap shop bought one. Or you could use the extra cash to fly to bangkok to buy a nice one from there - err though i'm not sure thats really very cost effective.

Having said that I was going to buy my wedding rings from argos because at the end of the day they are all just plain gold bands and cost pretty much the same from whereever you get them - but then i went into tiffany's and got totally seduced by the little blue boxes.......... (thought it wasn't really that more expensive)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Lol thats why I said antique not second hand - the second hand ones always give me the creaps but antique ones are often sold of as part of bigger estates and collections.

i think i would just like to know exactly where it's been. i'm funny about stuff like that.

argos isn't bad quality, for what you get. it's just their immense buying power than brings down the prices. we have the same thing at work. we stock furniture by the same suppliers as them, but they can afford to sell it so much cheaper cause of their bulk discounts :(

or :D if you're buying and it saves you £100.

but then, engagement rings are a dead personal thing, and i think people should get what they want, and not listen to tradition or other people, or any other such silliness.
  • Options
    Rightttttt, well I might save up for a more expensive ring, but I need a holiday, and so does she.. and since she's a kept lady I'll have to make an executive decision..

I get a lot of stuff cheap, I know people ;) I'll see what I can sort out and let you know..

I got videos of my boy as well now, it's great, got him babbling and all sorts, i'll try and post a vid :)

He's 7 months old in about 2 weeks !!