Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Engagement Ring

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend.

She's been going on about it for a good year now.. I've nearly done it a few times before, valentines day, xmas day etc.. but I didn't really feel like it.. Also it's a bit weird that mine and my boys name are different to hers ya know?

Anyway, I'm looking to get a ring for about £100 (I'm a cheap bastard I know..) - She likes gold rings, the style with a single diamond..

Can anyone recommend some nice ones?

If I do it we are staying engaged for at least 5 years.. lol, I dunno if it's the right thing to do yet but hey we'll see..

Comments

• Options
    oooo love is in the air :heart:

sorry useless post....but i wouldnt be much help all the way on the other side of the world
  • Options
    don't know much about rings but go for it and just buy a nice looking one...where've you been anyway this past while?
  • Options
    Yeah I probably will just pick a nice looking one, har har.

I've been busy irl.. well not just busy, but also lacking an internet connection !!

My broadband 12 month contract isn't up until 18th June at my old house (where my dad lives) so I've left it on there until then, when the contract is up, I will get broadband installed at my new address and BOOM I aint going anywhere again ;)

It's gutting actually I've got so many pics of my little boy now, he's coming along great.. he's 7 months old in two weeks !! :eek2:

Crazy!

How you been man?
  • Options
    How you been man?

ah just the usual, floating about here and trying to do some work at school, off the drugs too now which is a surprise but for the better in general...
  • Options
    I'm off them most of the time ;)

I don't even know why I'm thinking about getting engaged, I want too, but I spent a week thinking about should we break up, I just dunno anymore ! sniff sniff
  • Options
    I'm off them most of the time ;)

I don't even know why I'm thinking about getting engaged, I want too, but I spent a week thinking about should we break up, I just dunno anymore ! sniff sniff

you probably just have the fear...marriage seems like a long term commitment....i bet there's that teenager in you that still thinks that there's loads of parties and sex with various women left in your life and marriage just takes that away i think...though if you truly love her, then go for it....
  • Options
    can i be the killjoy here? hate to spoil it and all, but you know...

i don't think you should propose to someone until you are 100% sure you are happy to stay with them, and only them, for the rest of your life. if you're not positive, don't do it. forever is a really long time.

and if you're not planning to get married for at least 5 years, what's the point of proposing now? just because you're not engaged doesn't mean you can't or won't stay together. her name won't change until you marry, so it's neither here nor there, imo.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    can i be the killjoy here? hate to spoil it and all, but you know...

i don't think you should propose to someone until you are 100% sure you are happy to stay with them, and only them, for the rest of your life. if you're not positive, don't do it. forever is a really long time.

and if you're not planning to get married for at least 5 years, what's the point of proposing now? just because you're not engaged doesn't mean you can't or won't stay together. her name won't change until you marry, so it's neither here nor there, imo.

:yes:

Agreed. There's nothing worse than being proposed to by someone who doesn't really want to be getting engaged. If she's harping on about it and you're not ready you should really really talk to her about that rather than give in. I've had the experience of cancelling an engagement including a HUGE engagement party and trust me, it isn't nice. :no:
  • Options
    I do try talking to her about it, and she says she understands, but I can tell she just thinks I don't love her and/or want to be with her. The post natal depression isn't helping..

Also, when I try to explain why we shouldn't get engaged, it comes out wrong, and I can hardly say oh I'm not 100% sure I want to be with you forever can I !!

I think I may just have the fear, because yes I am only just out of my teenage years and I suppose settling down is a weird thought.. but I do love her to bits, we are def two peas in a pod, arg I dunno.. !
  • Options
    I do try talking to her about it, and she says she understands, but I can tell she just thinks I don't love her and/or want to be with her. The post natal depression isn't helping..

you are with her though. and when all is said and done, a ring on one finger makes no difference at all.

i can only speak for myself, but if i got proposed to, i would hate to think that his main reason for doing it was to shut me up nagging.
  • Options
    http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=3098192&categoryId=40004

I like this one, although I would like it in white gold. I think it's simple and stylish and within your budget.
  • Options
    is it one months wages or two that an engagement ring is traditionally supposed to cost?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I've never seen people wear gold engagement rings but hey if thats what she likes. I want a white gold diamond ring. I think they are lovely.

Eh? What else are they supposed to wear? You even said you want a gold engagement ring :eek2:

Anyway, I don't think you should get engaged just to make her happy. Contrary to popular belief it is quite a big commitment and a big deal. And if you are not comfortable with the way the relationship is at the moment (what with thinking about breaking up and worrying about the post natal depression) then engagement is the last thing you should do.

Hope it all works out for you.
  • Options
    Sorry, should of made it clearer, I meant I've never seen people wear yellow gold engagement rings, I've always seen people wear white gold engagement rings. It doesn't matter what type it is really.

Hmmm. I think white gold engagement rings have only become popular in the last 10 years or so.

Oh, and my engagement ring is yellow gold.
  • Options
    It may sound odd, but antique shops can sell some really nice jewellery at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    The 3 people i know that are engaged all have yellow gold rings, i thought that was quite normal? Although i dont like/wear yellow gold at all so if and when i got engaged it would be, erm white gold :p

And as some above posted H Samuel do fairly in expenensive nice diamond rings for around the £100-£200 mark.

And that 2 months wages thing is stupid that wpuld mean that my boyfriend would have to spend £1600 on a ring, for that much i'd rather have a car! :p Seriously whats the point the amount spent does = the amount of love behind it.
  • Options
    I wasn't saying people shouldn't have yellow gold engagement rings, I've just not seen them around much. I bet your ring is lovely :)

It is :p

I think that the whole white gold thing is the new thing at the moment. I don't know if I like it as it reminds me too much of silver. Each to their own :p
  • Options
    Ya see I prefer Silver, so White Gold would be for me if a guy wanted to buy me an engagement ring. haha

But as for the thread itself.
    Please whatever you do not propose unless you truly want to be with her and not just to keep her happy.
  • Options
    Thanks milky way, that ring is lovely, I'll keep looking on H Samuel...

My girlfriend only likes yellow gold, so that's what she'll be having...

I'm still not 100% decided I'm going to do it, I do want to commit though - We'll see, I've got to pay for a holiday this month so we'll see if I've got the funds.

As for spending a months wages, that would be a ring for about 3K+ lmao, no thanks !!

No chance anyway with my new mortgage etc..
  • Options
    Nah my girlfriend doesn't like silver, and yeah I thought engagement rings were supposed to be diamond ?? :confused:
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    Can you have a silver engagement ring if you want? And does it have to be a diamond? Just wondering.

You can have anything you want. Yes, there are traditions but these days traditions have fallen by the wayside, and rightly so I think.

I don't like gold jewellery, ever, it looks cheap and nasty on me regardless of how expensive it is, so I always wear silver. When I was engaged I had gold engagement ring with a diamond. I think that very fact should have alerted me to something, lol.

It doesn't have to be a diamond either, my grandmother has a red stone, ruby I think.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nah my girlfriend doesn't like silver, and yeah I thought engagement rings were supposed to be diamond ?? :confused:

Not if you don't want it to be. If you and your girly likes, for example, sapphire, there is nothing stopping you having a sapphire engagement ring.

One of the prettiest engagement rings I have ever seen is my grandmothers and it isn't diamond, it is a gorgeous blue sapphire ring.
  • Options
    Platinum :thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    I would spend more but she's already wearing about £600 worth of jewellry from me !! lol
  • Options
    A platinum ring for under £100? :lol:

ebay, tbh. ;)
  • Options
    i wasnt saying he had to, just that someone told me once that traditionally it was Xmonths wages and i couldnt remember what. i know tisn't realistic if you have to live at the same time - just wondered if anyone else knew?
  • Options
    i wasnt saying he had to, just that someone told me once that traditionally it was Xmonths wages and i couldnt remember what. i know tisn't realistic if you have to live at the same time - just wondered if anyone else knew?

I am sure it is one months wages that is the tradition.
  • Options
    is it one months wages or two that an engagement ring is traditionally supposed to cost?

my future fiance will get off lucky, i want my great grannies ring.
    ....and i dont want a big wedding, just gunna go to the town hall.

wow, talk about a cheap date :)