Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Skunk may be reclassified

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Link here to an article in today's Guardian - Drug experts will begin debating today whether stronger "skunk" varieties of cannabis should carry higher penalties for possession.

So what do you smokers think? Is skunk that much stronger than run of the mill grass that it deserves to be differentiated? Would you rather see skunk as class B and everything else cannabis related left at C?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People in the media keep saying these things and they have next to know idea what the words actually mean that are coming out of their mouths.

Cannabis is cannabis, you can easily get just as stonned on weak weed as you can strong, you just use more.

Stong hashish will ALWAYS have a higher THC content than even the strongest 'skunk'.
  • Options
    But this isn't just the media, this is part of the debate by The Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs, which includes looking at the reclassification of cannabis to class B. This will affect legislation.

The article states that although cannabis in the UK has remained at about 6% THC, strains of cannabis in Holland have been reported at 16% THC. That seems to me like a big difference. I know what you are saying Bong, but do you really want this to be the norm?
  • Options
    First of all a massive chunk of the UK market is from the UK not Holland or Eastern Europe anymore, its not worth the hassle of smuggling it.

The question we have to ask is are people wanting to get a lot more stonned than in the past? And if so, why?

This is an educational issue, any law change will make the issue regarding cannabis even more confused and will not in anyway act as a deterant. Instead it will brand more young people with a pointless and damaging criminal record, tie up our court with futile cases and waste police time.
  • Options
    going into varitities of cannabis like that and saying that one is stronger than the other - therefore it should carry a higher penalty - is pure stupidity.

these drug experts would have to be very regular smokers to be able to classify different types of cannabis - and i doubt they are. whio are they going to get to classify this?

even if you could somehow get away with this - how do you enforce it? does a cop on the street know skunk from plain old weed? does he know a mind blowing sativa when he sees one? no way. does a judge know? i doubt it too. so you would be back to relying on these experts for their opinions of what it is you got caught with. this involves more time, more money - another cog would be added to the already cramped legal mechanism.

skunk is not that much stronger than "normal" weed - its just a popular strain. if they are going to do this, what about the solids? if i get caught with some crappy soapbar, and my friend gets caught with the same amount of pollen - should he get a higher penalty? this would be a travesty.

in the eyes of the law - weed should be weed. can you imagine how many unfortunates would be screwed if they happened to be sold skunk instead of regular weed? " but i didnt know it was skunk"......crazy shit. hope it never happens anywhere. it just goes to show how little these experts know - and their opinions will be filtered out to parents, teachers, other gov officials etc - so skunk will be viewed as some sort of mad shit - when it's not really. kids will be attracted to it because if you make it more illegal than other types - it will become even more popular.
  • Options
    The only way you could enforce this would be to arrest everyone caught with cannabis, then send their sample off to a lab, wait for the test results for the % of THC, then bring them back in to be cautioned or charged with a more serious crime.

Its pointlessly complex and would be massively expencive to do.

I personally have a terrible feeling cannabis is going back up, though I will be fighting it.
  • Options
    so hash oil will end up as class 'a? ...
  • Options
    It is already.
  • Options
    Indeed. Keep up Rolly.....
  • Options
    Though why I have no idea.
  • Options
    I'd support reclassification

I'd support reclassification - especially as this would mean that there would then be more "lightweight" stuff available - much more enjoyable to smoke!
  • Options
    They wont move just 'skunk' they, I think, will move the whole lot. The conservative swing has started.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    Though why I have no idea.

Cos apparently it's injectable - thoug I wouldn't want to.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I dont think making stronger strains like skunk class B serves much purpose. Isnt that somewhat the equivilent of keeping the drinking age for beer 18 while highering the drinking age for vodka to 21?? seems pointless to me.
  • Options
    How is your average cop going to determine if your cannabis is strong weed or not? The government are just trying to look as if their doing something. So because i'm smoking this soapbar and one of my friends is smoking skunk one will get into more trouble. What a load of bollocks.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    SOPH1A wrote:
    I dont think making stronger strains like skunk class B serves much purpose. Isnt that somewhat the equivilent of keeping the drinking age for beer 18 while highering the drinking age for vodka to 21?? seems pointless to me.

I agree with that.

This is jsut stupid. Its the same thing at the end of the day, just a different strain.

It'll serve no purpose and I daresay cops on the street will just confiscate it as usual. I doubt they'll bother... or they'll arrest you regardless.
  • Options
    mike.sh wrote:
    I'd support reclassification - especially as this would mean that there would then be more "lightweight" stuff available - much more enjoyable to smoke!

Who are you? some pussy smoker anyway

High grade cannabis with no chemicals or added shit is much better than contamanated soapbar.

:impissed:
  • Options
    Unless you know your weed is organically grown Shogun, I wouldnt say something like that.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Cos apparently it's injectable - thoug I wouldn't want to.

But its an oil, you couldnt possibly put it in your vien.
  • Options
    i wouldn't inject myself with hash oil for money. basically suicide. too thick to go in there and not cause problems. but i would never inject myself with any drug. anyway - do people still use hash oil? i though it was for emergency use only!! - i.e. when you have nothing else to smoke. havent even seen it in a year or two.

everything you smoke, if you aren't 100% sure it was grown organically, is going to contain toxins - most of them bulking up toxins - not there to harm you, but just there to bulk the hash up. even "high grade weed" is going to usually contain traces of chemicals used in the growing process. you would be hard pushed to find very clean drugs anywhere on the market - in ireland anyway. everything you take has been bastardised with god knows what. its best not to think about it too much....... so soapbar, even being the foulest of the foul, isn't a million miles away from the weed you'd buy in terms of cleanliness / lack of. the really good shit isn't sold on these markets - its normally grown by small farmers who keep it for themselves and friends. they may sell a few ounces - but usually only enough to cover their costs and line their pockets with a few quid - they don't sell on a big scale in most cases. it's too risky. weed being grown for selling will not receive as much care as weed being grown for personal use - so the stuff you buy will not have been flushed properly, and probably loaded with bio grows to get maximum yield as opposed to maxium quality. so even though it gets you stoned better and quicker - who knows how clean it is?

Originally Posted by mike.sh

i didn't get this at first but i understand now - yes i know plenty of people who wont go near strong weed - it fucks them up. these people just want a nice buzz - not a mad trip. can't argue with that.

but in all fairness, if you reclassify skunk - another strain that these experts have never even heard of will emerge onto the streets and be at least as strong as skunk - reclassification wont change anything - except the name of the shit in your pocket. it won't remove anything from the market place -as the demand will still exist - so the supply will still exist, albeit a slightly different product. the governments do what they can i suppose, but in most cases their efforts are wasted. better to concentrate on treatment and education as opposed to trying to prosecute people who just want to smoke a joint - even a joint filled with the deadly, venomnous, soul destroying skunk variety of weed! and this whole THC testing idea - man, that is not gong to work. there are strains out there with low THC, such as Durban Posion - but smoke two big spliffs of it and good luck. but if this reclassification came in, the only way to enforce it is with drug testing. this stuff would probably pass the test, i.e. be classified lower than skunk, yet it still gets you very stoned. so many reasons for this whole idea being completely impossible. in fact, i doubt it will ever happen. too much room for error & wrongful arrest / prosecution.

BTW - what is crack-cocaine made up of? How does it compare to heroin in terms of addiction? And how much is an ounce of decent weed going for in London these days?
  • Options
    Crack is freebase cocaine, i.e, cocaine without the hydrochloride salt. Washing coke into rocks removes a lot of impurities and turns it into a smokeable form, providing a faster more intense hit. Its not physically addictive in the way that heroin is, but it is intensely psychologically addictive. People will smoke rocks for days at a time until the money runs out - its not unheard of for people to be spending up to a grand a week.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    its not unheard of for people to be spending up to a grand a week.

and i bet they don't earn a grand a week either...
  • Options
    bananaman wrote:
    BTW - what is crack-cocaine made up of? How does it compare to heroin in terms of addiction? And how much is an ounce of decent weed going for in London these days?

Crack is just the base form of cocaine, you remove the 'salt' though thats salt in the chemical term, not table variety. This changes its melting and vapourising temperature which means you can smoke it, something you can not do with cocaine powder.

Its very different from heroin in terms of addiction, it is not physically addictive like heroin. It is however stupidly habit forming and very addictive.

An ounce of weed, erm, I dont know, it has stayed stable at about £20 an 1/8th I think for ages.
  • Options
    Oh, and I was wrong!

Cannabis oil is Class C, so we could be in the wierd situation of 'skunk' at 16% THC being class B and oil at 70% THC being class C.

Who says the government dont know what they are doing!!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    People will smoke rocks for days at a time until the money runs out - its not unheard of for people to be spending up to a grand a week.

Which is why many think it a more damaging addiction to heroin, there is a limit of sorts, to the amount of heroin you can physically consume.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Oh, and I was wrong!

Cannabis oil is Class C, so we could be in the wierd situation of 'skunk' at 16% THC being class B and oil at 70% THC being class C.

Who says the government dont know what they are doing!!

Is it? It used to be class A
  • Options
    Thats what I thought, but I was talking to someone about it this afternoon and they said that it was all changed down to Class C. Given he does this sort of thing for a living I'm taking his word for it because I cant find any details on the Home Office website.
  • Options
    Neither could I , everything on google said it was class A so we are all behind the times...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    so we are all behind the times...
    :eek:
  • Options
    quality, so everyones gonna start getting absoloutley shitfaced on oils!

its just too potent to smoke all the time, id have to plan my day around it
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Unless you know your weed is organically grown Shogun, I wouldnt say something like that.

I wouldn't say something like that if i didn't know it.