Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

One tyrannical dictatorship you won't hear the neocons complain about

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i tihnk my dad was in the IRA, i found a letter from the police to him about his criminal record, stuff like GBH and possesion of firearms and explosives, i was well shocked but it didn't really come as a surprise, i suppose he's an alright man when ya get to know him...
  • Options
    As long as youre not occupying his country, bombing his city into rubble and killing his family and neighbours in the process (or breaking in their doors in the middle of the night to drag them away because some asshole with a grudge (or some friendly despot we ARE supporting)) doesn't like their politics and/or has "said" they are "terrorists", then there is no reason he or anyone like him should scare you.

The best way to cut through the media fed BS about "terrorists" is do what they don't bother doing and contextualise the situation without double standards. If you could honestly say you wouldn't BE that man in the picture if it were your own country occupied by a foreign force, your own family dead because of them and their phoney claim to be "liberating" you (whilst selling off your nation's wealth the crony corporate interests of the foreign leaders), then I would say any claim of love for your nation, your family or your own self determined future is completely hollow.

The real terrorists are those who proclaimed the self appointed right of unilateralist attack in the first place and I suspect youd have a greater chance of meeting any number of them or their subordinates out on the town than you ever would those currently being mislabelled constantly by a compliant mainstream press and media.
  • Options
    As long as youre not occupying his country, bombing his city into rubble and killing his family and neighbours in the process (or breaking in their doors in the middle of the night to drag them away because some asshole with a grudge (or some friendly despot we ARE supporting)) doesn't like their politics and/or has "said" they are "terrorists", then there is no reason he or anyone like him should scare you.

The best way to cut through the media fed BS about "terrorists" is do what they don't bother doing and contextualise the situation without double standards. If you could honestly say you wouldn't BE that man in the picture if it were your own country occupied by a foreign force, your own family dead because of them and their phoney claim to be "liberating" you (whilst selling off your nation's wealth the crony corporate interests of the foreign leaders), then I would say any claim of love for your nation, your family or your own self determined future is completely hollow.

The real terrorists of those who proclaimed the self appointed of unilateralist attack in the first place and I suspect youd have a greater chance of meeting any number of them or their subordinates out on the town than you ever would those currently being mislabelled constantly by a compliant mainstream press and media.

got it in one clan :thumb:

fucking sures i'd be out in the front line if my country was invaded...even now i throw stones at passing british army patrols around here
  • Options

The real terrorists of those who proclaimed the self appointed of unilateralist attack in the first place and I suspect youd have a greater chance of meeting any number of them or their subordinates out on the town than you ever would those currently being mislabelled constantly by a compliant mainstream press and media.

well put. :)
  • Options
    Sorry, twas late when I posted that and ive had to make some minor editorial corrections to the last paragraph. Just the addition of a missed or incorrect word in a couple of spots, the meaning and intent remain as originally posted.
  • Options
    So you deny that pragmatism is necessary in foreign policy?
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. In the case of Uzbekistan (and indeed Iraq) pragmatism doesn't apply.

FACT: During the 80s Saddam was the US government's best friend and the Americans not only happily provided WMDs to him but actually didn't give a flying fuck about the thousands of Kurds he gassed.

It is therefore an exercise in supreme hypocrisy for the US government to go on about human right abuses and killings in Iraq as a justification for going to war on Iraq later.

FACT: President Karimov is a monster no better than Saddam (I daresay even worse) who might have not killed as many people (yet) but who makes up for the lack of numbers with appalling cruelty.

It is therefore even more hypocritical of the chimp to speak about Saddam being a brutal dictator and mistreating his own people while at the same time shaking hands with a similar brutal dictator no better than him.

FACT: When the US government has no further use for the current regime in Uzbekistan it will suddenly denounce the catalogue of atrocities that have been going on there (with a straight face as well) and use it as a justification for embarking in further illegal wars, and people like YOU will actually try to lecture us about how something must be done to stop the appalling human right abuses :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Of course in international politics you sometimes have to deal with people who have lower standards than yourself, otherwise we'd be talking to a short list of countries.

But there is a clear difference between diplomatic relations and support for regimes who are nasty.

What annoys me is the stupid short sighted nature of this, when has this tactic not turned round and bitten us in the arse?!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    fucking sures i'd be out in the front line if my country was invaded...even now i throw stones at passing british army patrols around here
    Why?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why?

I presume you have seen a map recently? Northern Ireland happens to be part of another country, one we invaded, rape, pillaged and basically ruled over horribly for years.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why?

what bong said...also if you look out of one of windows you'll see a british army base directly above my house on a mountain, there's another one on another mountain to the east of my house...not exactly the nicest thing to look at every day...
  • Options
    rich kid wrote:
    as I've said recently we have many posters who criticise foreign governments, including the Americans, for all sorts of human abuses, yet right on our doorstep, as part of "Great Britain", we have such abuses yet no-one seems to bother posting about it. I suppose far off distant places are more "sexy", particularly if the Americans are involved the all the anti-Amerrican bile can be unleashed.
    I love how people are so ready to unleash their anti-American bile at the drop of a hat yet we are members of a nation that has a long and unsavoury record of human abuse and aggression against many, many weaker nations around the world.
    Right on our own doorstep we've still got the Irish problem, but further away in the Indian Ocean we aren't scared of doing a bit of ethnic cleansing when it suits us. I'm talking about the forced removal of the population off the small island of Diego Garcia, part of the British Indian Ocean Territory, which was then turned over to the Americans to be used as a military base.
    Although this island still remains technically a British dependency, we no longer have any control over it, its been "leased" to the Americans who use it as a military base and a home for its B-1 & B-52 bombers who carry out bombing raids on Afghanistan & Iraq. Its also used to house a number of Al Qaeda suspects and Riduan Isamuddin, leader of Jemaah Islamiyah, who carried out the Bali bombing is imprisoned there.

Has Parliament ever approved all of this? When it comes to human abuse and aggression, the Americans have got to go a long way to catch up with Britains appalling record. Perhaps they learnt it from us?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Ireland has always been badly treated by the British, and since the 1920's Northern Ireland, that artifical state created by the British, has been particularly badly treated.

Granted, and I would really like to see the political situation there change, though its a tough one.

I should also point out that although its not perfect human rights abuses there are not anywhere near as bad as they used to be.

And, as for us not criticising the government, erm, take a look at our comments about internment or terrorist trials, I think you will find us just as vocal on that as American affairs.

I should also point out that Northern Ireland citizens have over £8,000 spent on them per year by the government compared to £5,500 of Londoners.
  • Options
    the situation has improved vastly...but it's only been since the good friday agreement that things really started to change...the government has been very keen to give us lots of money to start up new projects and whatnot, especially cross community one's, it's worked to a degree but it's still very much a segregated society...
  • Options
    In part I agree with your post above RK, oddly enough as that is. However my agreement relates to the task of every citizen to take their own government to task before pointing the finger at other nations and leaders toward whom our respective leaderships constantly endeavour to divert our gaze.

That said, I do chide you once again for employing the term "anti-American" (another fraudulent term created by my own unaccountable leaders) as a reference for rightful criticism of Washington's misdeeds. Rarely, if ever at all, have I noted any condemnation of the American people or the country, geographically speaking, by any poster here.

The truest patriot is one one who loves his country to such an extent that he/she will not shirk from decrying its wrongs both domestically and within the international community of nations.
  • Options
    The truest patriot is one one who loves his country to such an extent that he/she will not shirk from decrying its wrongs both domestically and within the international community of nations.

reminds me off a quote from the film "the american president" with micael douglas, i think it's particularly relevant in todays society

"You want to claim this land as the land of the free, then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising
    his right to burn that flag in protest."
  • Options
    Yes I recall that line from the film and true it is. Sadly the current ruling cabal is doing all it can step by step to erode every last civil liberty and Constitutional safeguard until our founding principles wont be worth the paper they were printed upon.
  • Options
    A very considered and interesting piece Clan.
    I visit the States regularly having friends and business interests over there, and one thing that always strikes me is how patriotic the Americans are. Its is not a simple low-key thin veneer of a patriotism but is a full-blown in your face variety that demonstrates quite clearly that they treasure Country & Flag and "support their boys overseas". They have large "stars & stripes" flying in their gardens and business premises have some of the largest flags I've ever seen. In my experience they do not take kindly to criticism and in many ways cannot understand why we Europeans are like we are.
    In some ways, and I don't mean this to sound insulting, they are child-like in their understanding of global issues. But don't underestimate their patriotism. We in this country don't get anywhere near it.
  • Options
    I think one of the most symbolic things I ever saw in the US was just after the 11th September.

We were driving along and got to a cross roads, there was two teenage girls there dressed up in American flags and painted faces with signs saying 'Honk if you love America'

I didnt understand it then and I still dont now.
  • Options
    I just found this article on the internet. Jack Straw criticises Uzbekistan actions.
  • Options
    If only Mr Tony could apologise to the sacked ambassador now... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RK, that is not patriotism. That is blind unquestioning hyper-nationalism (aka jingoism) and it is indeed essentially ignorant of what our government is up to outisde our borders as much as it is ignorant and unmindful of the true concept and demands of civic duty (i.e. holding one's leaders fully accountable for their misdeeds and abuses of power without regard to partisan nonsense).

"My country right or wrong" is a path straight to rogue nationhood.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    RK, that is not patriotism. That is blind unquestioning hyper-nationalism (aka jingoism) and it is indeed essentially ignorant of what our government is up to outisde our borders as much as it is ignorant and unmindful of the true concept and demands of civic duty (i.e. holding one's leaders fully accountable for their misdeeds and abuses of power without regard to partisan nonsense).

"My country right or wrong" is a path straight to rogue nationhood.

Yes, I get the feeling the Americans don't actually know what they are standing for, its mass Ignorance... I would be unwilling to support my country if I really disagreed with the Leadership, e.g: If we were a Facist state. I would be fighting for revolution.

I can see your point with the British Army thing there. Your country has been treated like shit by us for a fair while, although sadly there seems little chance of peace unti lthe Catholics and Protestants can get along together. Why do you guys disagree? Its both Christianity, right?

I would at the moment myself stand up for hte UK if we were occupied. The picture was a bit of a joke on my part, sorry, but sparked an intersting debate. If I were in Iraq, i'd be fighting the Yanks for so many lies and a false "liberation" bullshit pile. Yeah, we're so free now we don't get power or water anymore. Even Saddam could do that...
  • Options
    I didnt understand it then and I still dont now.

Why not? The US had been under direct attack from foreign invaders. Its like the patriotism seen in the UK during the Blitz.
    Yes, I get the feeling the Americans don't actually know what they are standing for, its mass Ignorance... I would be unwilling to support my country if I really disagreed with the Leadership, e.g: If we were a Facist state. I would be fighting for revolution.

The US public know perfectly well what their government is doing - they voted for it in the Election. Thank God for their persistence.
    Why do you guys disagree? Its both Christianity, right?

Its not just about differing branches of Christianity.
    If I were in Iraq, i'd be fighting the Yanks for so many lies and a false "liberation" bullshit pile.

Sure you would. The Fact is that the vast majority of atrocities and suicide bombings now happening in Iraq arent carried out by Iraqis, but rather by foreign operatives seeking to destabalize Democratic reform in the Arab world.
  • Options
    Why not? The US had been under direct attack from foreign invaders. Its like the patriotism seen in the UK during the Blitz.

children-patriotism...you must be joking...children like sweets and playing...these children where probably swept up under the juggernaught of nationalim felt by the nation as a whole and used as a ploy to strengthen their cause...
  • Options
    children-patriotism...you must be joking...children like sweets and playing...these children where probably swept up under the juggernaught of nationalim felt by the nation as a whole and used as a ploy to strengthen their cause...

Are you saying that patriotism is a bad thing?

Children are often much more patriotic than their elders. Just look at the Hitler Youth. (Not that I am comparing that in any way to Americas current Patriotic mood - which I admire and respect and wish we had over here.)
  • Options

All irrational belief in fction is a bad thing.
  • Options

Children are often much more patriotic than their elders. Just look at the Hitler Youth. (Not that I am comparing that in any way to Americas current Patriotic mood - which I admire and respect and wish we had over here.)

no i'm not saying patriotism is a bad thing, i'm pretty patriotic myself, but use it in a different way, i.e. speak my own language and play my own irish sports, thats how i use my patriotism

hitler youth :confused: like they really volunteered for it...the current Pope was in it ffs...patriotic children are like racist children, they hear from parents and follow suit, though totally oblivious to what they're talking about or advocating
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    All irrational belief in fction is a bad thing.

well i would disagree, the people of my land, i.e this island, spoke the irish language for thousands of years, played all our sports, i have a close affinity to what my ancestors did and i feel proud that i'm following in their footsteps to a degree, though at the same time doing my bit for tomorows generation, not harkening on too much about the history of my land...it's a good thing if you do it properly...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    maybe not but it did so much damage to hitlers eastern front that the rest was just a shambles and that was the start of the demise of his empire...

not at all. hitler called off the battle because the allies invaded europe. he wanted his best divisions in italy. Hitlers generals were furious he called it off as they could have won the battle with a little perseverance. look up the casualty statistics some time.
  • Options

Well it is nationalism and nationalism has caused a lot of bloodshed and conflict especially in this century. The First World War comes to mind as an example of how nationalism can lead to bloody wars. It can be argued and has been argued by many historians that nationalism is the "biggest political shame of the 20th century"

The problem with this extreme patriotism which America has and had throughout its history at certain times is that it can kill any form of constructive criticism with labels such as Un-American. It can blind people and stop them from questioning policies which can be dubious at best

However I will admit nationalism patriotism etc can forge a common identity which can give a community a sense of belonging, American in a way highlights the positive as well as the negative. But it is wrong to deny the inherent dangers of nationalism