Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pills and depression

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim_b wrote:
    I started doing pills in Feb again and my last one was about a month ago...it was about a month ago that my parents split up n during the first two weeks of the Easter break (i am a uni student) I have never felt so depressed in my life...I went to the doctor about the depression and he referred me to a counsellor...ne way, is the depletion of serotonin by MDMA a definite cause of this depression...I dont feel like I should have been this depressed about a family break up at this age (19)

It's probably the pills.

Can be very pyschologically weakening. I feel absolutely fucking shattered from them. Haven't even been meaning to take them for 2/3 months, but social situations usually dictate whether i do or don't. Doesn't help when most of your social circle are getting into them just as i'm wanting to stay clear of the little bastards.

It's sometimes difficult to identify what's causing your depression - your situation or your drug use? Probably both. Even after the noticable comedown wears off, you're still left with a kind of depressive lethargy...see the worst in everything sort of thing.
  • Options
    I can't say I've ever experienced paranoia on pills....I guess I'm lucky in that respect!
  • Options
    :yes: paranoia is a very common factor, particularly in anything to do with amphetamines, with MDMA you've got the added 'bonus' of serotonin depletion as an issue (there is no indication that it is the 'most common').

This may seem very pedantic but mental health issues have got such variation in symptoms its very hard to pin down. Anxiety is another one that gets people, hallucenations are not uncommon in conditions of severe serotonin depletion. Mood is indicative of existing mental health before taking E, so if you are feeling particularly down or anxious for prolonged periods before taking E it doesnt start you off on a good footing.

What Spliffie is describing (and what others over the years have described to similar effect on here) is something that i and alot of other people have gone through in and after periods of prolonged E use.

While there is little evidence for MDMA in isolation creating any long term problems in and of itself (except in cases of regular and chronic use), all drugs in the amphetamine family can exaccerbate or provoke latant or existing mental health problems. If you have any history in the family of hereditary depressive illness or schiezophrenia you need to think very carefully about your drug use.
  • Options
    well I find that pills can make me kinda edgy when I am buzzing...for example, some guy pushed me up to the wall in the End for no reason n I couldnt stop thinking about it for two hours...normally I wouldnt give a toss...cos ur senses seem to become sharper, I also tend to make big things out of little things...like a guy sniffing his nose might make me think he is taking the mick cos he thinks I am coked up...when he could JUST be sniffing...mind u, I have left some powder on my nose when I have snorted em....n other little things bother me too...like me dancin like a maniac..so I see ppl pointing and I think, do they think I am pilled up tosser etc.
  • Options
    This isnt uncommon in regular users, but neither is it a good sign. As people have said it is almost impossible to discern what the pills are doing to you and what is happening independant of them. One thing we can be pretty sure of is that this isnt what you want when you take them.

Please consider your drug use; if i were you i would knock the pills on the head for a while, and try to at least cut down caining anything else: if you feel the need a trip to your GP would be advisable. Getting a bit of exercise regularly can boost the levels of serotonin produced in the brain. I found it helped when i was going through my 'troubles'.

Take care of yourself man :)
  • Options
    Yeah I know I should give it up for a while...its just I was kind of too anxious to do it one more time at Homelands, which is after my exams...Ill see how I am doing then...but I know I wont do it for the rest of the summer...I dont no why, but pills seem to be an escapist thing for me...perhaps to help me thru the depressing winter months n I only really started them up again cos my ex was doing them n I just got tempted...

I know I am probably gonna do some draw every now n then after exams n I dont really have ne problems with it.
    As for Coke, I dont really touch it- waste of time.

Ne how, I went thru some real soul searching yesterday - started seeing a counsellor about my issues - and kinda felt like my life was making a new start - hopefully, drugs wont be an issue in it.
  • Options
    Jim_b wrote:
    kinda felt like my life was making a new start - hopefully, drugs wont be an issue in it.

Good to hear. If you're not in a decent frame/state of mind, drugs ain't a good idea: they can aggravate any latent or present issues.

Good luck with the counselling.
  • Options
    Certainly if you are having mental health issues then its probably not wise to be taking hallucinogens.

As for whether outside factors or the drugs or a combination of the two are causing your problems no one will know.

I would be reluctant to pin someones depression purely onto MDMA, there is normally a background issue first.

As for MDMA and base Martin its not very uncommon, and its not inherantly really dangerous. The one big issue is the strain on the heart, that and the heat issue. You body will get warmer and therefore neuron damage might be worse. However its not as bad as the mix of MDMA and meth, which as people who have taken Mitzi-Triangles will tell you can feel rather good.
  • Options
    i didnt say it was either Bong, must i make this :D face everytime im being sarcastic. Read it in the context of the rest of the post and it will become clear i was only plank-yanking in the first incidence.
  • Options
    Fair enough, I didnt pick up on that. And no you most certainly do not need to use those stupid 'smilies' all the time, they are loathsome.
  • Options
    smilies let me project my aura of happiness to the world :D
  • Options
    What by making me angry at how the youth of today is turning out.
  • Options
    :):):) Aciiieeed! :D
  • Options
    Sometimes this place really confirms my feeling that we are all doomed, that this batch of young people really is the worst of the lot.
  • Options
    10 pillz for a fiyva? Dat'll do me 4 tunite
  • Options
    That and a bottle of 'buckie'.
  • Options
    oh ta be sure
  • Options
    Dont be mean Martin, its not nice to make fun of someone like that.
  • Options
    give up winding up LJ and i'll stop cheeking the Murphia
  • Options
    LadyJade and I have an adult and professional relationship, except the beatings, they are rather personal.
  • Options
    ok carol...
  • Options
    Her AV is actually her, I took that photo.
  • Options
    and how DID you get that macleans fresh smile in yours...keep telling us you're an 'old man' ....you're not even a man at all...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    LadyJade and I have an adult and professional relationship, except the beatings, they are rather personal.
    I've told you about mentioning that here, I'm going to have to mete out an appropriate punishment this time...
  • Options
    While you're at it could you possibly mete out a reply to my PM LJ....
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Maybe....
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I've told you about mentioning that here, I'm going to have to mete out an appropriate punishment this time...

Sorry miss, I'll do better next time.
  • Options
    dunno if this is relevant guys and gals,but i used to do a lot of Everythin!, and i noticed that after a few yers the buzz just wasnt that good, it was usually speed and stuff, but what was mentioned earlier bout pills using up the serotonin supply seemed pretty bang on to me, i used to suffer the most allmighty comedowns to the point where taking speed was making me feel almost suicidal!!! im glad it did to be honest, otherwise i dont think i come have come off it! eventually every bloody drug i took made me ill and i have panic attacks all the bloody time now! dont get me wrong im aint banging on bout how drugs r bad ect, i just reckon that with me over the period of time theyve messed with my head!!!!! soz bout the long thread guys!!! blah blah.xxxx :chin: :crazyeyes :chin:
  • Options
    Amphetamines will not affect your seritonin levels greatly, obviously if you are using amphetamine while depressed its not going to help, but unlike MDMA it does not work directly on the seritonin system.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Sometimes this place really confirms my feeling that we are all doomed, that this batch of young people really is the worst of the lot.

don't worry bong, i've paid the price...better now :)

martin's a limey chav... ;)