Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pills and depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started doing pills in Feb again and my last one was about a month ago...it was about a month ago that my parents split up n during the first two weeks of the Easter break (i am a uni student) I have never felt so depressed in my life...I went to the doctor about the depression and he referred me to a counsellor...ne way, is the depletion of serotonin by MDMA a definite cause of this depression...I dont feel like I should have been this depressed about a family break up at this age (19)

Comments

• Options
    i'm not 100% sure about the whole chemical stuff related to MDMA and how it effects behavior and emotion but certainly it could be a factor in your depression, maybe it's a combination of things, other things in your life thats bothering you, the actual guilt of taking drugs at the time of the break up could also be a factor...anyway, i wouldn't recommend you do pills for a while yet, it will give you a few hours high but a lot more low...
  • Options
    well, I started to notice that the comedowns became worse and worse i.e a few days or more...dont know is that's any help

I wanna take some MDMA in a month of so (i.e the powder - I know a good source for this) would this be OK? I feel like I am fighting this depression at the minute n the way I am doing that is by having a good time.

The last few times Ive done pills they have been so shit that I dont think its worth the bother any more...they seem to be so loaded with ketamine nowadays that I cant even move on them...yet at the same time, what MDMA is in them seems to make me happy...argh.. :banghead: I know I shouldn't even tempt myself into doing them again but I know its gonna happen
  • Options
    aye i know it's so hard to resist them...but just keep reminding yourself that they're not really that good once the magic starts wearing off...not really sure if you'd be alright, try going to that councellor a few times to see what your condition is like and if you yourself feel you could take it without having any problems then why not?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Pills make me depressed sometimes - usually when I can't get none. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    To start with, MDMA definitely makes your brain use up serotonin, and has been linked to depression.
    Jim_b wrote:
    well, I started to notice that the comedowns became worse and worse i.e a few days or more

You may find that the bouts of depression are worse during the middle of the week - known as the 'Midweek Blues'. This is because the effect of the depletion of serotonin in the brain usually peaks around this time. After that, the brain starts to make more, and the blues tend to subside.
    I wanna take some MDMA in a month of so (i.e the powder - I know a good source for this) would this be OK?

As a rule, it's never a good idea to take illegal (eg unprescribed) drugs if you're not in a stable state of mind. The aftereffects of MDMA/pills (the depression/spaceyness) can be felt for months after. Give yourself a rest in between sessions - ideally a month or two.
    The last few times Ive done pills they have been so shit that I dont think its worth the bother any more...they seem to be so loaded with ketamine nowadays that I cant even move on them

This is because pills can be loaded with anything, not just ket. Variants of MDMA, speed, and other crap may be used to 'fill out' the pill. It's these unknown chemicals that pose an added risk.

Overall, taking drugs whilst in an unhealthy mental state is asking for trouble.

Incidentally, if you must take MDMA, the powder is easily cut with other stuff. Try and get crystal - harder for dealers to mix in crap and get away with it.
  • Options
    its all mental .. only you yourself will know if they'll do anything for you or not ... if you've got the right mindset .. 'these are going to be good and im going to enjoy myself' then you're more likely to get a good buzz

if you're thinking negatively along the lines of 'these pills are shit' or 'im not the mood' or whatever then you'll most likely get a shit buzz

and then all those other mentioned factors....

id definatly go for the pure mdma opposed to pills if you are going to take it again
  • Options
    That's not 100% accurate though, to be fair. Saying it's all in your head is wrong. These substances have an effect on your brain and it's chemical balance.

Substances like MDMA merely release feelings and sensations which are usually locked in check by the brain.

I really don't want to come across as a pedant, but still...

I see what you're saying though. The frame of mind does have a bearing, but at the end of the day, if you've got crap pills, you've got crap pills. And my personal definition of a pill is crap.

Stick with MDMA crystal: it kicks the shit out of any other drug.
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    its all mental .. only you yourself will know if they'll do anything for you or not ... if you've got the right mindset .. 'these are going to be good and im going to enjoy myself' then you're more likely to get a good buzz

if you're thinking negatively along the lines of 'these pills are shit' or 'im not the mood' or whatever then you'll most likely get a shit buzz

id definatly go for the pure mdma opposed to pills if you are going to take it again

i specifically put that there because i knew someone would come off with a reply like that .. well done
  • Options
    What did you expect then? Don't post things which are misleading.

State of mind is far more relevant when taking classically psychadelic substances, not pills and the like.
  • Options
    i didnt post anything that was misleading ... i even emphasised the part where i said you have to take all the other things into consideration and you still refuse to take notice

even with good gear if you arent thinking the right way you'll end up with a shittier buzz

the reason i said this is because it is totally relevant to the orignal post

fair enough you know your stuff about ecstasy ... doesn't mean you have to look for something in every post to pick out in some sort of attempt at showing your "superior knowledge" ...
  • Options
    Chill - I never intended to make out I know more than anyone: I don't know what people on these boards do in real life, yourself included. I'm not personally attacking anyone. If that's the way it seemed, sorry.

All I try and post are facts, that's all. I'm a great believer in information and education over the scare tactics and bullshit that the media and government put out. That's why it may seem like I tend to jump on people who make statements which aren't correct: just trying to set the record straight.

That's all.
  • Options
    ok

but you still fail to realise i didn't post any false information .. it wasn't incorrect

i also thought that someone would take the 'its all mental' part as meaning that was the only thing that mattered ... so I added in that line ... how many times do i need to point this out ?
  • Options
    Ok, not incorrect, I concur. However, to be fair, the original question was to do with MDMA & depression, rather than the buzz/effect from pills and such.

Sorry. Born pedant.

ANYWAY: I've been out tonight, and me head's squirly, so I'm off to bed. Can't be having with message board debates at 3:20am. :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    In the 9 year I've been doing pills I've only ever come across a few containing ketamine and they were often sold as 'ketamine' pills.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    State of mind is far more relevant when taking classically psychadelic substances, not pills and the like

:no: State of mind is crucial because it is indicative of the Chemical and biological states already at play before the substane is introduced.

Should also state that the euphoric and empathic effects of E (those derrived from the serotonin agonist) will not work if you are taking SSRI antidepressants such as Fluoxitine Hydrochloride (Prozac). :)
  • Options
    I meant in terms of immediate effects, not long term.

I've tried to supress the effects of MDMA before (one situation involving bouncers and police), and it's nigh on impossible. You may think you've done it, but the chemical is still doing the work.
  • Options
    I meant in terms of immediate effects, not long term.

so did i. mental state can be indicative of chemical action within the brain, thus dictating the base conditions under which the chemical will be introduced. The parameters within which it is working will be a variational factor in the effects produced, in the immediate sense.
  • Options
    well have u tried testing pills, u'd be amazed...I've done ketamine and theres be many times on pills where, even tho I could feel some effect of the MDMA, the whole dissociative, completely stoned feeling that I get with Ket was there
  • Options
    In reply to Chemlab's comment about pills with speed....I often find these to be the best, the speed tends to complement the MDMA, rather than counteract it...especially good if u drop to drum n bass
  • Options
    Bashir, I've heard that taking anti-ds and MDMA at the same time can actually kill you
  • Options
    Jim_B: this is true of MAOI antidepressants, which are not commonly prescribed anymore and an older form than SSRIs.

MAOI effects are less subtle than those of SSRIs as they merely prevent reuptake of serotonin rather than regulate uptake selectively.

Taking a serotonin agonist such as MDMA/E with MAOI antidepressants can likely result in a serious condition called serotonin syndrome where there is an excess of serotonin being produced that the brain simply cannot cope with. Serotonin syndrome is a very serious condition that can be fatal.
  • Options
    sorry it just be me being drunk but you're all talking scientific chemical shite...everyone knows you take pills...chew your jaw...have a clah time and have your head stuck up your hole for a few days afterwards...it's just plain fucking simple... :thumb:
  • Options
    I went through a stage a couple of years ago where I went out and took pills every weekend or so. In the end the 'Midweek Blues' became pretty harsh. Decided to calm down a bit. Now a may take pills once a month, if that.

Less is more :thumb:
  • Options
    sorry it just be me being drunk but you're all talking scientific chemical shite...everyone knows you take pills...chew your jaw...have a clah time and have your head stuck up your hole for a few days afterwards...it's just plain fucking simple...

Oh my dear boy come back and tell me that when you havent imbibed half a tank of buckfast :D
  • Options
    Jim_b wrote:
    In reply to Chemlab's comment about pills with speed....I often find these to be the best, the speed tends to complement the MDMA, rather than counteract it...especially good if u drop to drum n bass

My personal favourite combination is MDMA crystal and Base, so I know what you mean. :)
  • Options
    Oh my dear boy come back and tell me that when you havent imbibed half a tank of buckfast :D

point taken... :blush:
  • Options
    MDMA and Base...

I can see that but god, how hyper do you wanna be?

This is an intersting point though, the tailoring of drug combinations to fit with social situations and different sensory experiences, music for example.

I must confess i have a guilty desire to get on some good quality MDMA and spend the night in the 'Jenkins Lane 88-90 Reunion' arena @ Raindance. I've been listening to old Acid house tunes (i've got one very good Colin Favor set from the Hacienda 1989) and i've been reading 'Altered State' by Matthew Collin :D.

I just fancy the idea of having that warm empathic aura type feeling without over the top stimulation, the vibe of the sets just seems alot more rhythmic and sensual rather than the frantic hardcore im used to. Floating around with that wonderful empathic feeling, but like not too fast...sounds nice :)

...that said after i saw 'The Football Factory' i also wanted to go and hit people, i just seem to be sooo impressionable...
  • Options
    Absolutely: tailoring the combination's is a good way of using less of each drug, but then it involves mixing drugs which isn't usually such a great idea. But hey.

I remember when I first overdid it on on pills, and was looking to try something slightly different whilst not doing so many. I found that a few dabs of speed and a single pill was the most amazing combo, and kept me bouncing all night :)
  • Options
    If Blaggy's around i wonder if he's willing to regale us with any Acid related tales of late 80's hedonism :D
  • Options
    z01 wrote:

Paranoia is main mood-related problem with E, although I believe a very low dosage can also be a factor...i.e. you're "high" to an extent, but not enough to completely lift your mood, which leaves a nice little niche for Mister Paranoia.