Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crime, is it coming or going?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you think of this, most telling statistic Rich Kid:

"every 24% rise in prison numbers only cuts crime by 1%"

Clearly prison doesn't work. Clearly we have to look beyond the simplistic, and completely useless "lock 'em up and throw away the key" policy, because it will not cut crime.
  • Options
    One reason we need a lot more prisons.
  • Options
    What for? Because sure as hell it would not cut crime.

Unless that is you plan to imprison around 15-20 million people at least.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    One reason we need a lot more prisons.

Because thats working so well in the US isnt it.
  • Options
    The detection rates show that there were 1,071,000 undetected crimes last year. If we catch only a small percentage of them, as of course we should, and would, if Labour got off the Police's back, then we'll need more prisons.

I reckon the actual detection rate is hardly out of single figure which means many criminals are emboldened by the fact that they know theres little chance they'll be caught.

Low detection rates = more encouragement to criminals = more criminals
  • Options
    Why do you think people commit crimes Rich Kid?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do you think people commit crimes Rich Kid?
    Various reasons, drugs, just the fact they're low-life scum, can't be bothered to work, etc
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Various reasons, drugs, just the fact they're low-life scum, can't be bothered to work, etc
    With attitudes like that what chance there is of ever cutting down crime?

[/rethorical question] :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Various reasons, drugs,

Why do you think some people take drugs?
    Rich Kid wrote:
    just the fact they're low-life scum,

What do you mean by this? Do you think people are born bad?
    Rich Kid wrote:
    can't be bothered to work, etc

Why do you think some people can't be bothered to work?
  • Options
    I'm sure a boastful trust fund kiddie with everything handed to him on a silver platter can tell us firsthand about not having to work for a living.

I wonder if the Christ he claims to so ardently believe and follow would share his views on the disenfranchised being "scum". Hmm lets see now, he consorted with prostitutes and drunkards and condemned the rich and self righteous. The panel says ..... "NEXT contestant please!"

Guess we have yet further demonstration of RK's "phoneyness" shinining through bright and clear!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do you think some people take drugs?
    No idea. Got a self-destruct button? Thick & stupid? For Gods sake they know the result of drug taking, you'd have to be living your life in a bubble not to know what the end result is.
    What do you mean by this? Do you think people are born bad?
    We are all born with the stain of "Original Sin" on our souls, some people never get rid of it. Low-life scum are people who simply want to take and contribute nothing to society.
    Why do you think some people can't be bothered to work?
    Lazy? Prefer living on state handouts and do a bit of thieving on the side? Low-life scum?
  • Options
    Low-life scum are people who simply want to take and contribute nothing to society.

Actually that would be the obscenely wealthy and their avaricious corporate structures.
  • Options
    Actually that would be the obscenely wealthy and their avaricious corporate structures.
    Pray tell me what knowledge do you have to back up this far-fetched highly generalised misinformed statement?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Low detection rates = more encouragement to criminals = more criminals

Hello, do you really think that before someone commits a crime they look at the local detection rate for their local police force.

There are many reasons why people commit crimes and I'm pretty sure that most people don't plan on getting caught. If you want to reduce crime you've got to address the reason for it occuring. Ultra tough sentences were tried in the 1800's when you could be hung or transported for stealing food, vandalism of london bridge or for some strange reason, wrongly dressing as a Chelsea Pensioner. Crime however still occured.
  • Options
    According to the published figures of the NCRS:

Last year 1,071,000 crimes were not "detected".

The average rate of "detection" per Police officer is 10 per year.

Question: How many more Police officers do we therefore need to recruit to clear up these undetected crimes?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    According to the published figures of the NCRS:

Last year 1,071,000 crimes were not "detected".

The average rate of "detection" per Police officer is 10 per year.

Question: How many more Police officers do we therefore need to recruit to clear up these undetected crimes?
    perhaps its quality,not quantity that we need?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    perhaps its quality,not quantity that we need?
    You could be right Deano.
    I just think the average of 10 cases a year per officer is very very low. Its unacceptable.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You could be right Deano.
    I just think the average of 10 cases a year per officer is very very low. Its unacceptable.
    shocking statistics if they are to be believed.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No idea. Got a self-destruct button? Thick & stupid? For Gods sake they know the result of drug taking, you'd have to be living your life in a bubble not to know what the end result is.

Why do you think people might have a self-destruct button? Why do you think some people take drugs anyway, knowing what the end result might be?
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We are all born with the stain of "Original Sin" on our souls, some people never get rid of it. Low-life scum are people who simply want to take and contribute nothing to society.

Speak for yourself. I wasn't born with any original sin thanks. Why do you think some people only want to take and not give? (I presume you're not talking about bosses here)
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Lazy? Prefer living on state handouts and do a bit of thieving on the side? Low-life scum?

Why do you think that people might prefer living on state handouts? Its not an easy life.

You haven't really answered my questions. You've just said people act bad because they are bad. Its a circular argument.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Pray tell me what knowledge do you have to back up this far-fetched highly generalised misinformed statement?

Because thats how capitalism works.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Low-life scum are people who simply want to take and contribute nothing to society.

Your posts about New Labour and 'Phoney Blair' I'm not shocked by, your almost total lack of sources I can put up with but this really, deeply saddening.

I ask again, do you have any compassion for your fellow humans at all?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I ask again, do you have any compassion for your fellow humans at all?
    I am a very compassionate caring Christian person. I pray for many of you who post on this forum and continually abuse me, but I turn the other cheek and forgive you, for as Jesus said, "they know not what they do".
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I am a very compassionate caring Christian person. I pray for many of you who post on this forum and continually abuse me, but I turn the other cheek and forgive you, for as Jesus said, "they know not what they do".

Yet you are openly saying you think that there is a sub section of society which are 'scum'.

Are they redeemable in anyway? Or should we maybe just lock them up before they cause anymore trouble?
  • Options
    LOL> RK a "caring and compassionate" Christian, now I truly have heard everything.
  • Options
    Just like Dubya Clan, just like Dubya... :lol:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

troll.jpg