Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Id cards

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm very happy with it. I see it in a positive light, it'll catch the scum who infect society, that I see as a big plus.

But it's reactive. Sure the criminal may get caught, but the crime has already been comitted. Considering the amount of money invested in these schemes, wouldn't it be better to invest in crime prevention?
    But its not just CCTV. CCTV is often used in conjunction with radio's to monitor people without them realising it. You can scan for phone messages, you can install mini-cameras with a lenses not much bigger than a pin head, the technology out there is breath-taking.

..and that is something you should be scared of, not revel in.

The fact that any Govt may have the power to watch over you so closely goes against the basic concepts of freedom. My Govt should not feel it necessary to watch me, as I go about lawful business and I should have the right to go about my daily life without being under suspicion.

And I still haven't heard any explanation as to how ID cards will prevent terrorist attacks or crime.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not part of the scum that infects our society

Hang on, I thought you said you were a tory? :confused:
  • Options
    I don't see any problem with ID cards. I also don't think that they will particularly solve any crime, but if I can just have one card instead of carrying around a driving licence, passport, whatever else, then I'm all for it.
  • Options
    The fact that any Govt may have the power to watch over you so closely goes against the basic concepts of freedom.
    Whats freedom? Have you ever had freedom? We've got a war to fight, its to the death, and we must win, so in my view its gloves off and anything goes to defeat the threat.
    My Govt should not feel it necessary to watch me, as I go about lawful business and I should have the right to go about my daily life without being under suspicion.
    Why? What have you got to hide?
  • Options
    What war's that? :confused:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

What gives the Government the right to spy on people's private lives?
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Whats freedom? Have you ever had freedom? We've got a war to fight, its to the death, and we must win, so in my view its gloves off and anything goes to defeat the threat.

So, you're not really in favour of a small state at all?

:nervous:
  • Options
    So, you're not really in favour of a small state at all?
    :nervous:
    Small State, Big Surveillance - nothing wrong in that, it offers protection to the honest hard-working citizen and fear to the infectious scum.
  • Options
    Small State, Big Surveillance - nothing wrong in that, it offers protection to the honest hard-working citizen and fear to the infectious scum.

How?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Hmmmmm............. Well, fortunately for us, there are peers who can see the dangers of going down the road of BIG SURVEILLANCE ...........

Your line seems inconsistent - if you trust the state to co-ordinate that amount of information, then they must be up to the job of running schools and hospitals.

In fact Rich Kid, you are incapable of consistency.

Why is that?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We've got a war to fight

But it's not against me, is it?

I have nothing to hide, so why is the Govt interested in what I do, why do they need a biometric scan and my details on a database..?
  • Options

If only. The "government" aren't that stupid. They know that the ID card won't do anything they claim it will. Yet they continue with it regardless.

It seems to me that the purpose of the card is to spy on the population. It must be because that's the only thing it will actiually be any good at.
    I have nothing to hide, so why is the Govt interested in what I do, why do they need a biometric scan and my details on a database..?

Because theres no way to rule innocent men?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If only. The "government" aren't that stupid. They know that the ID card won't do anything they claim it will. Yet they continue with it regardless.

It seems to me that the purpose of the card is to spy on the population. It must be because that's the only thing it will actiually be any good at.

Indeed. There's no real benefit to the citizen (unless they like the idea of being tagged, numbered, treated like a piece of meat, stripped of personal privacy and being ripped off into the bargain).
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Infectious scum? Maybe you need to clean your bath more often

che-cif.jpg
  • Options
    Oh how naive can you be? I feel pity for you in your ignorance.
  • Options
    Your line seems inconsistent - if you trust the state to co-ordinate that amount of information, then they must be up to the job of running schools and hospitals.
    Not necessarily. The Army and Police function well despite tight resources, meanwhile Labour throw money at the NHS hoping it will solve the problems - we all know it won't.
    In fact Rich Kid, you are incapable of consistency.
    Why is that?
    Since when has the world and what happens in it been consistent? We're in a constant state of chaos and need to be pragmatic and flexible in our responses. In contrast you seem weighed down by dogma, slow reactions, and an inability to recognise fast changing situations, both of a positive or negative nature.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm very happy with it. I see it in a positive light, it'll catch the scum who infect society, that I see as a big plus.

So in answer to my question you would be happy for all the members of a police force to have access to footage of your every move, hearing every word you ever said, perhaps taking a few urine samples from you, maybe a bit of blood.

And, taking another point you said this 'war' we are in is to the death, the death of whom exactly, who are we fighting again?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So in answer to my question you would be happy for all the members of a police force to have access to footage of your every move, hearing every word you ever said, perhaps taking a few urine samples from you, maybe a bit of blood.
    Yes most definitely. In fact I think everyone should provide a DNA sample so that this can be held on central Police & Government records. It would help detect fraud and other serious crimes.
    And, taking another point you said this 'war' we are in is to the death, the death of whom exactly, who are we fighting again?
    Thw war against international terrorism that is out to destroy Western values and democratic societies, and domestically, the criminal underclass who infect our society with their activities.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Thw war against international terrorism that is out to destroy Western values and democratic societies

In that case, the politicians are doing the terrorists' work for them then - CCA, PTA, etc.
  • Options
    Thw war against international terrorism that is out to destroy Western values and democratic societies,

Whilst your probably correct taking away all our civil liberties achieves the same aim. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Yes most definitely. In fact I think everyone should provide a DNA sample so that this can be held on central Police & Government records. It would help detect fraud and other serious crimes.

Luckily most normal people dont trust the government enough for efforts like this.

And I ask again who we are at 'war' with International Terrorists is a nice term, but who are they and where are they? And more to the point why do they suddenly hate us so much?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Luckily most normal people dont trust the government enough for efforts like this.
    Yet.
    And I ask again who we are at 'war' with International Terrorists is a nice term, but who are they and where are they? And more to the point why do they suddenly hate us so much?
    If you're that ignorant then I'm not going to be the one to awaken you from your slumbers. Dream on believing there are no threats, no terrorists, no-one out who want to destroy us and our values. There is no "suddenly" about it, if you had yourv eyes and ears open you'd have kept up to speed on this one.
    Goodnight, sweet dreams bonga.
  • Options
    If you're that ignorant then I'm not going to be the one to awaken you from your slumbers. Dream on believing there are no threats, no terrorists, no-one out who want to destroy us and our values. There is no "suddenly" about it, if you had yourv eyes and ears open you'd have kept up to speed on this one.

Proof of terrorists causing or able to cause any permanent damage in the Uk please.

"Our values" or "your" values?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Such threats as there are pose little long-term danger. Meanwhile, one of the 'values' I prize is freedom from being spied on by government: it seems that that particular 'British value' is one you're more than happy to see disposed of.

Tolerance, free speech, freedom of movement and freedom from surveillance don't matter to you. Basically, you just want to keep the 'values' that you agree with, don't you?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Did I say there was no terrorists? Strange, I dont think I did.

What I am suggesting, and many others are too is that we should look at this 'war on terror' objectively and find out what threat we are actually under and how to deal with it.

And bringing in a rash of measures that curtail freedoms will NOT help preserve 'british' values.
  • Options
    Why did John Reid claim on News 24 that Michael Howard had "voted against" ID cards when in fact he hadn't?

LIES, LIES, LIES.
  • Options
    Well, while we are being irrelevant -

Why, Dr Zhivago! A melon! And so purple too! I must find a shoebox for my salad turkey and his friend Lucille Ball.

Get a grip RK.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    get a grip RK.
    The topic is about ID cards.
  • Options
    The topic is about ID cards.

And not about alleged lies on news 24.

Get a grip RK.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    And not about alleged lies on news 24.

Get a grip RK.
    But John Reid was talking about ID cards. Geddit?