Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Id cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
violation of human rights or a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    A stupidly expensive waste of time.

People can forge passports now they will be able to fake any ID card that is brought in.

I fail to see how this will prevent any terrorist attacks or any crime at all except perhaps credit card fraud.
  • Options

A good idea ONLY IF you need to ask yourself "Who the fuck am I ?" and can`t answer. Looks like you know the answer ;)

seeker
  • Options

Probably both. The real aim of them is the removal of the "black" market.

It depends who you are in relation to the government and the banks. I can see the removal of paper money and coins from the system not too long after their introduction.

I personally will be refusing to get one, just on general principles.
  • Options
    Better than ID cards, I'd like to see a chip inserted into everyone so we could easily monitor where are, what they do, and they are who they say they are.
    It could help reduce crime, reduce the risk of terrorism, and help eliminate benefit fraud.
  • Options
    Better than ID cards, I'd like to see a chip inserted into everyone so we could easily monitor where are, what they do, and they are who they say they are.

By "we" who do you mean?

Perhaps it could also give us electric shocks when we swear. >Goddamn it<

At least you don't think it's already happened. I kind of put you in the David Icke mold.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    It could help reduce crime, reduce the risk of terrorism, and help eliminate benefit fraud.

lol, how about on the forehead or right hand, with a handy 666 inscription? you call yourself a christian but i don't think you've actually read the bible mate.......
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    lol, how about on the forehead or right head, with a handy 666 inscription? you call yourself a christian but i don't think you've actually read the bible mate.......
    Don't exaggerate apollo_69 and why bring the bible into this?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

The famous bit of Revelations? Mark of the devil? Are these ringing any bells with you?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

:shocking: you really are a moron.
  • Options
  • Options
    I would have no problem with a low-tech, strictly optional, limited-in-scope ID card for access to certain public services. But this is not what is being offered.

To anyone who still thinks they are a good idea: I suggest you visit this website.

They will be expensive, invasive, excessively authoritarian and interfering and will be a waste of time. It will pool many different schemes into one card: a recipe for disaster. Do you want to be tracked for everything you do and everything you buy and everyone you see for the rest of your life by this Government - or a less honest (ha ha) Government?

This cards will benefit no-one except a Government who wish to monitor the private lives of its citizens.

We are sliding very rapidly into a surveillance state.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    :shocking: you really are a moron.

What a Christian comment. Isn't Pride a sin apollo_69?
  • Options
    The biblical end of the world is not coming, if you think it is, seek help now.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Please tell me you're taking the piss. :eek:

I agree with completely with tequila's comments. ID cards are an authoritarian waste of time - the pet project of a frighteningly controlling government. Thankfully, it looks as if the scheme's being quietly abandoned, which'll save us the trouble of sending it the same way as the Poll Tax...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What a Christian comment. Isn't Pride a sin apollo_69?

so is lying, i'm just telling the truth........i'm not proud of the fact i've read the bible and you haven't, what are you on about?

and regardless of whether the world is or isn't about to end, there are some scary similarities between i.d. chips and the mark of the beast..........one thing is for sure, 1984 here we come.......
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Please tell me you're taking the piss. :eek:

I agree with completely with tequila's comments. ID cards are an authoritarian waste of time - the pet project of a frighteningly controlling government. Thankfully, it looks as if the scheme's being quietly abandoned, which'll save us the trouble of sending it the same way as the Poll Tax...

Don't bet on it: it's in 'New' Labour's manifesto and Government puppets - sorry, a Metropolitan Police Commissioner - has spoken out in favour. The best hope we realistically have is if the public come out massively against or Labour's Commons majority is significantly reduced.
  • Options
    Tequila wrote:
    Don't bet on it: it's in 'New' Labour's manifesto and Government puppets - sorry, a Metropolitan Police Commissioner - has spoken out in favour. The best hope we realistically have is if the public come out massively against or Labour's Commons majority is significantly reduced.

Oh bugger. I thought that they were going to drop the idea if they didn't manage to force it through in the last few weeks of the last Parliament. :( That was rather naive of me, underestimating the government's anti-democratic bent.

It didn't come as much of a surprise to hear a Metropolitan Police Commissioner come out in favour of the scheme. The police love every idea that lets them keep a close eye on people. Their commitment to democracy and civil liberties is about as strong as the government's.

I think a lot of people - not a majority, but a large minority - are very uneasy about ID cards. There was a swing in favour of them a while ago, partly IMO because of the Soham murder case, but I think people now realise that ID cards are little help against a random psycho like Huntley, and that they don't do much to combat terrorism or organised crime. Most of the major acts of terrorism over the last few years (911 excepted) have taken place in countries with ID cards (Spain) and, in many cases, far less democratic governments than this. Besides, although some people think ID cards are a good idea in theory, I doubt many people will be happy about forking out 80 quid for them. I'd love to see them go the same way as the Poll Tax - brought down, along with the government, in a wave of protests. I can dream, I suppose...
  • Options
    I just dont trust a government to operate a multi-billion pound computer system without it going WAY over budget and not doing what its supposed to.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    .........one thing is for sure, 1984 here we come.......
    You're a bit slow on the uptake my dear friend, much of Orwells vision has arrived.
    I'm not afraid of monitoring people, if they're going about their lawful daily business wheres the problem?
    We need to tackle yobs, criminals, drug dealers, and terrorists, find them and deal appropriately with them and this could be a great help.
    We should encourage people to take a chip by offering them attractive tax breaks and make it mandatory for all children born after a specified date to have one inserted. Soon those without chips will be viewed suspiciously by the majority until eventually most of them are forced to change their minds and have a chip inserted. All people sent to prison should, as part of their sentence, be forced to have a chip inserted.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not afraid of monitoring people, if they're going about their lawful daily business wheres the problem?

A closer reading of history might give you an inkling.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not afraid of monitoring people, if they're going about their lawful daily business wheres the problem?.

So you'd be happy for every person on your local police force to watch constant video of you, your every move, go through your rubbish to listen to every word you said on the phone etc?
  • Options
    WoW. How many laws do you break a day Rk?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you'd be happy for every person on your local police force to watch constant video of you, your every move, go through your rubbish to listen to every word you said on the phone etc?
    You missed the point bonga, its happening already. If you go out you'll be caught on CCTV many many times. If you drive your car, cameras have now got registration number recognition. You are being monitored when you shop, have a drink in a pub or restaurant, go to the gym, etc etc.
    Big Brother is here. I don't mind because I'm not breaking any laws, I'm not part of the scum that infects our society, its them we need to mindful of.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You missed the point bonga, its happening already. If you go out you'll be caught on CCTV many many times. If you drive your car, cameras have now got registration number recognition. You are being monitored when you shop, have a drink in a pub or restaurant, go to the gym, etc etc.
    Big Brother is here. I don't mind because I'm not breaking any laws, I'm not part of the scum that infects our society, its them we need to mindful of.

Thats not actually an answer to my question.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Thats not actually an answer to my question.
    I said you're being monitored, how much more clearly can I say that?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I said you're being monitored, how much more clearly can I say that?

But the question was "are you happy", not whether it happens.

Just because CCTV invades so many places doesn't mean that it is a solution to anything.
  • Options
    can i just ask? is he joking? at first i thought he was but now i'm not so sure
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I just dont trust a government to operate a multi-billion pound computer system without it going WAY over budget and not doing what its supposed to.

thats teh IT sectore in general, not just a specific govt thing
  • Options
    But the question was "are you happy", not whether it happens.
    I'm very happy with it. I see it in a positive light, it'll catch the scum who infect society, that I see as a big plus.
    Just because CCTV invades so many places doesn't mean that it is a solution to anything.
    But its not just CCTV. CCTV is often used in conjunction with radio's to monitor people without them realising it. You can scan for phone messages, you can install mini-cameras with a lenses not much bigger than a pin head, the technology out there is breath-taking.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    ID cards are an authoritarian waste of time - the pet project of a frighteningly controlling government.
    Yeah... We already have the Sun and the Mail to scare us, we already have that stupid new terrorist law that violates the Human Rights Act... Why do we need to be scared in to behaving ourselves?

It's a shame that the government feels so unsucessful that it has to go to these measures. The people in power are smoke screening us with terrorism threats to cover up corrupt company dealings, war crimes and class inequality (a rift that could end up growing again).