Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Look out for Labour tax rises!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote:
    I most certainly do :thumb: .Political labels seem to mean all things to all men.
    I find it helps to ask the user of any such phrase to tell me what it means to them then at least I have some idea as to what they are talking about.

e.g "Libertarian" :includes "removal of coercion" and "minimal interference in people`s lives".To me this is contradictory.Removal of coercion means NO interference in people`s lives.

That's the trouble with people - they're messy and not exact. But if you notice, I actually wrote "or" not "and".
    seeker wrote:
    "Free market" : "unregulated and free from interference" = "econonic coercion" ????????

The word voluntary has been used in recent posts(including by myself) and that word by itself has been misinterpreted.If I was to say "all relationships/agreements/transactions/trade should be voluntary",voluntary would mean free from coercion and the threat of violence before being entered into.No doubt some would read voluntary(as has happened here) to mean something else.

OK, lets analyse this further. How voluntary is it when people have no choice but to work for someone else and have that person expropriate part of the value of their labour, if they want to have a roof over their head, eat a meal, pay their bills etc? Not voluntary at all in fact, in fact they are very much coerced by necessity and economics.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's the trouble with people - they're messy and not exact. But if you notice, I actually wrote "or" not "and".

Yes I did notice.My "and" wasn`t quoting you.It was emphasised to show that the definition contained both those phrases thereby making it,let`s say "fuzzy"/"grey".

Blagsta wrote:
    OK, lets analyse this further. How voluntary is it when people have no choice but to work for someone else and have that person expropriate part of the value of their labour, if they want to have a roof over their head, eat a meal, pay their bills etc? Not voluntary at all in fact, in fact they are very much coerced by necessity and economics.

A simple answer could be "we always have a choice,even when coerced" but that would be lazy,wouldn`t it?

"work for someone else" = trading with someone else however unfavourable the conditions on one side of the trade.

The use of the word value seems meaningless unless it is applied to someone.e.g.I value my football "skills" at £1 million a game.If no-one else does I am unlikely to receive £1million.The "value" has to be mutually agreed.To take this further,say someone did agree and by trading with me and utilising those skills recouped £1.1 million.Have they expropriated part of my "labour value" ?

seeker
  • Options
    Leave all the theorising to one side and move into reality.

You can either work for someone else, offer them your skills and/or labour, and consign yourself to be a salary/wage slave, or you can strike out on your own with entrepreneurial zeal and build a successful business and make loads of dosh.
    The choice is there for everyone to make, some are braver than others!
  • Options
    Morning all.

Blagsta has already deconstructed Matadore's response from yesterday so I'm not going to go on a point-by-point answer. But what I'll do is reply to Matadore's request to provide more information regarding the state of the US healthcare system compared higher tax, public healthcare countries, and to even third world communist Cuba.

For your reading pleasure

So, Matadore, the US is the only country with private healthcare on that table. It's also the country with the WORST figures. Even ultra-poor, embargo-plagued, third world Cuba does better than your mighty USA and its low tax, private health system.

Very good eh?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    A simple answer could be "we always have a choice,even when coerced" but that would be lazy,wouldn`t it?

"work for someone else" = trading with someone else however unfavourable the conditions on one side of the trade.

The point is that we have material needs we have to satisfy in order to live. Under the system you favour, we have no choice but to sell our labour in order to satisfy those needs. Not really much of a choice is it?
    seeker wrote:
    The use of the word value seems meaningless unless it is applied to someone.e.g.I value my football "skills" at £1 million a game.If no-one else does I am unlikely to receive £1million.The "value" has to be mutually agreed.To take this further,say someone did agree and by trading with me and utilising those skills recouped £1.1 million.Have they expropriated part of my "labour value" ?

Short answer - yes. But its not really a very useful example is it? What is the likelihood of anyone paying you any money at all to play football, unless you are a professional. Lets look at the real world - people have to sell their labour in order to survive. Businesses then expropriate some of the value of that labour as profit. Say John works in a factory making widgets. He gets paid £50/day for making these widgets. Yet the amount of widgets he makes get sold for £100. The value of those widgets was £100 on the market, yet John who made them only gets paid half that. Not really a free voluntary exchange is it? (yes, I know this is an overly simplistic example, but you get my drift I hope).
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Say John works in a factory making widgets. He gets paid £50/day for making these widgets. Yet the amount of widgets he makes get sold for £100. The value of those widgets was £100 on the market, yet John who made them only gets paid half that. Not really a free voluntary exchange is it? (yes, I know this is an overly simplistic example, but you get my drift I hope).

What if the "market" valued the widgets at £40,would you say John should hand back £10 of the £50 he received?

seeker
  • Options
    John should be getting paid the full value of his labour, yes (assuming everyone gets paid the value of their labour and no one expropriates any). I know this simple model has a few complications, e.g. things are never the product of just one person, but this is why its absurd for capitalists to claim that they deserve the profit because of risk - a product is the result of many persons labour, its virtually impossible to break it down. Which is why a federation of co-ops might be a good model for society. I'm not claiming to have any definitive answers, but the system as I see it at the moment is inherently unfair and coercive.
  • Options
    Given that no one has ever been asked how our economic system should be organised, a consensus, by any reasonable defintion of the word, has never existed. Now you can talk about ideas of social contract if you like, but we both know its nonsense.

Noone has ever been asked? I do believe that the voters are asked every four years and the majority of people vote. It is only in the past few years that voting numbers have declined. YOu are nit-picking anyway, a consensus doesnt have to be unanimous, if you wanted one of those you would nevr get one. We both know that 40 million people are never going to agree on the same thing.
    If you think people are broadly content, I suggest you actually get out of your cosy middle class ghetto.

You want me to leave England? Its an affluent, middle class society with no absolute poverty, only relative poverty - which is a sham.

When I say broadly content I mean with the most basics of life. Accomodation, diet, entertainment, social networks.
    Turnouts are falling because no one believes politicians anymore. Go and ask some people down your local pub. Most people can't afford to buy a house, more and more proportion of wages goes on rent, job security is at an all time low. Politicians ain't gonna fix that.

I disagree, turnouts are falling becausr the government no longer has the influence it used to. Along with partisan dealignment, long periods of one party rule and a less deferential society. People believe politicians as much as they always have, but they simply dont have the compunction to vote anymore. Theres no point, why change a way of life with which the voting population broadly accepts.
    Well seeing as the Feb 03 anti-war protest was the largest ever seen in this country, I rather think that shows you to be talking crap. Most people have no confidence in collective action anymore however. Go talk to some people. Find out what people actually think. You'll be surprised.

750,000 march against war

Hardly a vast number in a country of 60 millions.
    I agree that union leadership wasn't always as accountable as it should have been, but having an organisation that represents the interests of the people that actually do the work is an excellent idea in principle. If you think that having a privilged minority in charge of government, one which only represents the interests of corporate business, then you haven't really a clue what democracy actually means.

Society must always have a ruling class. It prevents chaos.
    Hardly a democratic majority was it?

What you seek is impossible.
    I agree, local government is better. But what you propose and what Thatcherism has done is to replace democratically accountable organisations with undemocratic private ones. For someone who professes to be interested in democracy and the will of the people, I fail to see how private profit making companies are more representative than democratically elected publicly accountable organisations.

Where did I say I wanted private government?
    Is that a reason not to strive for it?

Short of the whole of humanity ascending to enlightenment, its never going to happen.
    I suggest you go and talk to some people down the pub. Find out what they really think. Get out of that cosy middle class life you lead.

I talk to plenty, thanks, and they broadly agree with me.
  • Options
    My god, you really do live in a world apart from the rest of us don't you? If you think there is no poverty, come and do my job for a bit, or my g/f's (in an EBD school) or indeed any social care job. You'll soon see the reality of life for a lot of people.

And no, no one has ever asked the people what system they want. Was the land enclosures act a democratic act? People can put a X every 4 years, to vote for capitalism, capitalism or capitalism. If you think that's democracy then you're fucked in the head.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    People can put a X every 4 years, to vote for capitalism, capitalism or capitalism. If you think that's democracy then you're fucked in the head.

in all fairness it's more like capatilism type A capatilism type B and capatalism type C...though point taken, things won't really be all that different...
  • Options
    Society must always have a ruling class. It prevents chaos.

That seems like a tacit endorsement of slavery :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

If that was a factual statement,then what prevents "chaos" amongst the ruling class?

seeker
  • Options
    Where did I say I wanted private government?.

You're in favour of privatising public services.
  • Options
    You're in favour of privatising public services.

Yes. Not the government itself. Very diffenert.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We want a low tax economy to provide incentives for entrepreneurship and financial endeavour, not just so Brown can hand out bigger benefits to the army of welfare scroungers. !

:lol::lol::lol:

you do make me laugh rich kid.
    their were fucking seven million of them scrounging bastards during 18 yrs of tory ruin.
    but now ...a mere handfull in comparrison.

please remember why new labour swept away that 18 years.
    becuase thatcher world almost destroyed the middle class ...the proffesionals ...mondeo man.
    along with their scholls hospitals and police force!

the mass house reposessions ...etc etc etc.

it scares me that not enough people on this board experienced the dark tory days of heartbreak and fear ...yes fear.
  • Options
    Yes. Not the government itself. Very diffenert.

Not really.
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

you do make me laugh rich kid.
    their were fucking seven million of them scrounging bastards during 18 yrs of tory ruin.
    but now ...a mere handfull in comparrison.

yea but that doesn't matter cos thstcher was the greatest prime minister since churchill and everyone loves her....shit was i being sarcastic there :chin: