Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

a question on asylum seekrs specifically

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I just let it ride because I'm a big boy!

so you've learned how to use the potty...well done...you'll be getting pubes in no time :thumb:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Who says it's bothering me?
    :):):)
  • Options
    How old are you?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Doncha just luv it! I do! I don't need a reaction. Anyway if you can't stand the heat you shouldn't be in the kitchen and all that .... I'm called all sorts of names on here but I don't complain, I just let it ride because I'm a big boy!

_40033793_tory_boy%5B1%5D.jpg
  • Options
    Right, I suggest people try to debate the topics in question. If people are refusing to do that then just ignore their posts and continue with the main thread of the debate.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I question the figures quoted and would offer an alternative take on this, with particular reference to "Overall Economic Benefit" - point 16.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/frameset.asp?menu=publications&page=publications.asp

They have some interesting points but are rather selective when it comes to going into detail and they don'y prove there is any economic harm from immigration even if they have some evidence that the benfits are not as great as some would think.

They still have to fall back on their bullshit 'culture' arguments.........
  • Options
    Britain is the second most crowded place in europe next to the netherlands
  • Options
    So?
  • Options
    The UK’s population is projected to rise by 6.1 million from 2003 to 2031, 5.2 million (84%) of this rise is due to immigration. That’s equivalent to a city the size of Portsmouth every year, or 5 cities the size of Birmingham over the 28 year period, needing to be built because of immigration.

We'd better start building!!!! Goodbye greenfields!!!

ps must buy some shares in house-building firms! Could make a fortune!
  • Options
    got a source for that have you?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    got a source for that have you?

Mystic Meg by the sound of it...
  • Options
    Again the arguement for asylum and immigration get tied together.

Immigration is different.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    needing to be built because of immigration.
    Hardly, when you consider our free falling birth rate. We need and should not object to immigration.

Although I agree with the investing in house building advice. :yes:
  • Options
    Though actually if you look at the big house building companies their share growth is never dramatic, its a too slow and capital intensive business to make quick good returns.
  • Options
    Slow and steady wins the race, bong. :)
  • Options
    I've nothing against controlled immigration but as the population increases it will put increasing pressure on our pleasant green fields. As long as they don't build around the Chalfonts I'm relaxed about it. In fact it will push up land prices, presenting a good opportunity to buy up some cheap land that will later be used for housing, I smell the pound notes already!!!! :)
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I've nothing against controlled immigration but as the population increases it will put increasing pressure on our pleasant green fields. As long as they don't build around the Chalfonts I'm relaxed about it. In fact it will push up land prices, presenting a good opportunity to buy up some cheap land that will later be used for housing, I smell the pound notes already!!!! :)

The greenfield arguments is the lamest one i've heard yet.

OMG any more little brown people coming into the country and we'll either:

a) Sink
    b) Have to start building housing for them all over the lake district
    c) Increase tax 50% to accommodate all the ones that scrounge of the state
    d) Insert generic Daily Mail scare story here
    e) Offer up all our virgin daughters to respect their religion
  • Options
    The greenfield arguments is the lamest one i've heard yet.

a) Sink
    Again my friend you grossly exaggerate in order to build your case.
    Forget all the things you've listed above - they are simply "red herrings", and total rubbish!
    We already have a need for more housing, particularly in the South-East, and all I'm saying is that this need will increase, so don't go all "drama queen" on me Capt!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    After we've gotten to know you so well, do you think anyone is going to fall for such blatant wind-up attempt? :D
  • Options
    South East can't take more homes
    13 April 2005

Countryside campaigners who fear green fields will be concreted over by new housing estates have called for the environment and rural issues to be at the heart of planning in the South East of England.

They also want a stronger focus on meeting local needs.

The Campaign to Protect Rural England issued its appeal with just two days left for the public to comment on the Government's draft plan for the region.

It sets out how the South East will develop over the next 20 years and covers housing, transport, leisure and economic development.

Edward Dawson, CPRE's south east regional director, said: "While there are some good policies in this Plan these are undermined by other policies and a disproportionate emphasis given to economic growth.

"Whole sections of the Plan seem to have been drawn up in ignorance of other sections so it is not surprising if some policies appear to contradict one another. The countryside and the wider environment risk being sidelined as a result.

"We recognise there is a shortage of affordable housing in parts of the South East. The Plan needs to ensure that the housing proposed really will meet those needs. But we fear that much of the new housing proposed will simply add to the supply of expensive market housing out of reach of many local people, stoking demand from elsewhere."

The CPRE welcomed the decision by the Regional Assembly not to proceed with the higher level of housing initially proposed.

Nevertheless they said up to 32,000 houses may be built in the South East every year for the next 20 years.

CPRE said it believed that this level of building is unsustainable and will place huge pressures on transport, water supply and public services and destroy large areas of countryside.
  • Options
    Plenty of room up north.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Plenty of room up north.
    Trouble is everyone wants to live down south! :) And who can blame them! :)
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Again my friend you grossly exaggerate in order to build your case.
    Forget all the things you've listed above - they are simply "red herrings", and total rubbish!
    We already have a need for more housing, particularly in the South-East, and all I'm saying is that this need will increase, so don't go all "drama queen" on me Capt!

Of course i'm exaggerating. Scary thing is ... not all that much.
  • Options
    Of course i'm exaggerating. Scary thing is ... not all that much.
    I think you grossly exaggerate my friend:

You said:

a) Sink
    NO - stupid remark
    NO - nonsense
    NO - rubbish
    NO - stupid remark
    NO - rubbish

GROSS EXAGGERATION!!!!
  • Options
    a) understand irony?!
    NO!

really man, try to relax a little and stay away from the !
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The Campaign to Protect Rural England issued its appeal with just two days left for the public to comment on the Government's draft plan for the region.

Nevertheless they said up to 32,000 houses may be built in the South East every year for the next 20 years.

If they were so bothered why didnt they campaign earlier?

And 32,000 over 20 years isnt all that many.

And there are already moves in the London area to use brown field sites first.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And 32,000 over 20 years isnt all that many.
    This is what Prescott has to say on the subject:

"In the London and the South East, there's a different set of challenges. We're faced with a huge shortage of homes that has built up over decades. House prices have been rising much faster than wages, and the market has failed to deliver.
    That's why we are building 200,000 extra homes in the Thames Gateway - the largest brownfield site in Western Europe - and the other 3 Growth Areas.
    And it's why we are providing resources for an extra 10,000 social rented homes a year by 2008 - a 50% increase compared with today.
    Indeed, over the next 3 years, we will provide over 115,000 new affordable homes for rent and low cost homeownership.
    We're beginning to make an impact. The number of affordable homes is at last increasing again. With the 4 new Growth Areas - and our additional investment in housing - we will increase the supply of new homes from 146,000 a year to 175,000.
    But that is at the lower end of Kate Barker's recommendations. She said that, in order to create equilibrium and stability in the market, we might need as many as 100,000 more houses each year on top of that!"

From John Prescott's speech to the National Housing Federation Annual Conference
  • Options
    traditionally, one LINKS to a source, why should we believe you?
  • Options
    Yes, brown field, thats what he said.

And, lets face it, farming in parts of the South East is totally moribond anyway, so you might as well use the land more effectively.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    traditionally, one LINKS to a source, why should we believe you?
    Up to you my friend, I quoted where it came from. I hope you're not implying I made it up!