Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tesco posts unprecedented profits

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not all students work there though, and while the price difference per product might not be all that much, it adds up. It's easy to say 'well there MUST have been a waitrose or M&S foodhall near you', but when you're living on sainsburys own brand and tesco value baked beans as it is...

So? Tesco and Sainsbury's don't have a monopoly when there's an M&S foodhall and a Waitrose nearby. It's irrelevant that they're a tad expensive.
  • Options
    That's how a monopoly works. Microsoft don't technically have a monopoly, there are other OS' and other providers of software, but 90% of the time it's not worth it. It's not worth shopping in M&S because the quality doesn't balance what I have to spend to get it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Not all students work there though, and while the price difference per product might not be all that much, it adds up. It's easy to say 'well there MUST have been a waitrose or M&S foodhall near you', but when you're living on sainsburys own brand and tesco value baked beans as it is...

my point is that where i was in london, thats all there was for about a half mile radius, sainsburys and tescos, not exactly fair
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's how a monopoly works. Microsoft don't technically have a monopoly, there are other OS' and other providers of software, but 90% of the time it's not worth it. It's not worth shopping in M&S because the quality doesn't balance what I have to spend to get it.

microsoft does have a monopoly, they have effectively tried stopping all competition from developing OSs from maturing into fully useful products, with its army of laywers protecting software patents

one reason why software patents are crap, cause you cant do the same effect, but more efficiently, as the patent is far too generic, protection should only cover the code

MS know people will use what gets bundled with their computers, why they put IE on as standard, to stop people needing to think "what browser will i get", or with media player too, and with firewalls now, as if i left my computer as it was by default and what they "recomend for stability" id be lumbered with IE, windows media player 10 and the windows firewall, none of which i use (i use wmp9 cause its less ram greedy and good for films)
  • Options
    But it's not an actual monopoly, just it's not worth the effort trying to get something different 90% of the time.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    But it's not an actual monopoly, just it's not worth the effort trying to get something different 90% of the time.

thats how they got into their position

they jumped on board with ibm who had a monopoly in the 80s, why all old pcs are "ibm compatibile" to get a monopoly, then ibm lost theirs through multiple hardware manfacturers, but ms was nicely in there ;)

unless you disagree with the eu and us courts ruling that microsoft abuses its position in order to kill competition

anyway food hasnt got the same compatibility issues ;)
  • Options
    No, but it's similar, it's not worth the cost to go to m&s and waitrose and it's not worth the effort to get away from MS 90% of the time.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, but it's similar, it's not worth the cost to go to m&s and waitrose and it's not worth the effort to get away from MS 90% of the time.

what kind of point is that? :confused:
  • Options
    It was from disillusioned saying Tescos didn't have a monopoly because there was bound to be a waitrose in the area. It doesn't make any difference if there's a waitrose if most people can't afford to shop there all the time.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Do you know how expensive M&S and waitrose are? I can't afford to buy food there week in week out, nor can I afford to travel out of town to get food from independent retailers. It'd be nice to have the freedom, but unfortunatly freedom costs money that most students don't have.
    Too bad then, you end up eating crap food!
    M&S and Waitrose food cost more but its good quality. I wouldn't eat a Chinese takeaway, I know someone who supplies chicken to quite a few around London, he imports the chicken breasts from Thailand - at least he thinks its chicken!!
  • Options

The food is from the same source.

It's packaged differently at the end of the process and marked up to gullible wealthy folk who can't tell the difference and don't bother checking.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The food is from the same source.

It's packaged differently at the end of the process and marked up to gullible wealthy folk who can't tell the difference and don't bother checking.
    Tell that fantasy tale to my local farmer or to Waitrose!!
  • Options
    Tell it to the factory I worked in a decade ago, numbnuts.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Details please.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

I'm genuinely interested in this. Were they using the same products, packaging them differently and selling them at different prices?
  • Options
    Go along to your local dairy crest or equivalent and watch them take the same cheeses and package them up differently. Go to your local chicken factory and see the truly appalling conditions there before they box up the eggs into different cartons for different customers.

All manufacturers do it - paint companies will put exactly the same paint into different tins because they know that rich people equate spending money with getting quality because they are dim. Whiskey makers use different botles for the same stuff for the same reason.

I am sure that you do something similar in your own business. What is your business by the way?
  • Options
    You're talking rubbish Klintock. My local farm produces the chickens and Waitrose get their chickens from specifically named farms.
    Have you ever heard of Trading Standards?
  • Options
    I didn't ask you to take my word for it, i said go along and see.

Up to you mate.

Ever heard of "powerful lobby"?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    M&S and Waitrose food cost more but its good quality. I wouldn't eat a Chinese takeaway, I know someone who supplies chicken to quite a few around London, he imports the chicken breasts from Thailand - at least he thinks its chicken!!

More slightly racist shite from our resident tory boy.

_220139_harry_enfield_tory_boy_300.jpg
  • Options
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=22493

IF THE Labour Party is returned to power on May 5th, with prudent chancellor Gordon Brown still sitting in the treasury like the Manx Cat in Alice in Wonderland, perhaps he should consider nationalising supermarket chain Tesco, which turned in a £2 billion plus profit yesterday.

At a stroke, a re-elected Labour Party could use the £2 billion profit to open endless numbers of ID card stations for the population at convenient locations on the High Street or at out of town locations on a motorway.

The numerous filling stations controlled by Tesco could be re-deployed using fantastic computerised technology to check on whether vehicles are properly licensed or not, while the supply of Senegalese mandarin oranges could be halted and replaced with juicy fruits from European Union partners Spain and Portugal.

After a few years, Tesco could be privatised, with a re-elected Labour Party reaping more boons from the sell off of the mega grocery. Are you thinking what we're thinking, Gordon?
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I didn't ask you to take my word for it, i said go along and see.

Up to you mate.

Ever heard of "powerful lobby"?
    Instead of bleating about what you witnessed why didn't you report it to the Trading Standards people?
  • Options
    Oh yes, of course. that would be my first inclination, to go running to the law. Have you read any of my other posts?

1) Nothing to do with me.

2) I was being paid from the money made by it.

3) I found the whole thing very amusing.

4) I see you admit I am right now. Thanks.

5) Who's "bleating"? You were talking shite. I pointed out why.
  • Options
    Klintock is right, I work in the offices of a food company on the weekends and we made stuff for Sainsbury's, Tesco's, ASDA, Co-op to name but a few. My mum who works for Sainsbury's once had a delivery of Kwik Save cherry bakewells - from the same firm and all that just with a Kwik Save label instead of Sainsbury's. The reason no-one goes to trading standards is that the products are different in terms of their packaging and sometimes there are small variations in the recipes but not a lot really.

In terms of supplier/supermarket relationships, where I work we deal with the supermarkets first hand and they are all much of a muchness - the bigger ones tend to be more demanding and awkward over deliveries but the smaller ones are more fiddly to process as they don't update their product lists very often or order regularly causing problems when we need to process their orders.
  • Options
    As a poor student i once got paid to remove labels from tins of beans (the labels were for a well know and expensive brand). My mate in another part of the factory got paid to put supermarket value labels on the same tins.

I've also worked in farms and I remember leeks, especially, being packaged depending upon where it ended up. Exactly the same product, up to 4 times as expensive depending on the supermarket.

To be honest; I thought everyone knew this, you always pay for packaging.

And as for prefering a waitrose ready meal to a chinese take away... if you think a take away might not be clean you've never worked the processing plants that produce ready meals.
  • Options
    Klintock is right

Jesus. That's a first.

:yippe:
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    As a poor student i once got paid to remove labels from tins of beans (the labels were for a well know and expensive brand). My mate in another part of the factory got paid to put supermarket value labels on the same tins.

I've also worked in farms and I remember leeks, especially, being packaged depending upon where it ended up. Exactly the same product, up to 4 times as expensive depending on the supermarket.

To be honest; I thought everyone knew this, you always pay for packaging.

And as for prefering a waitrose ready meal to a chinese take away... if you think a take away might not be clean you've never worked the processing plants that produce ready meals.

decent chinese take away wins over any ready meal :D no MSG and quite fresh and tasty :D

dont beat home cooking though

ready meals = yuck
  • Options
    decent chinese take away wins over any ready meal :D no MSG and quite fresh and tasty :D

dont beat home cooking though

ready meals = yuck

Chinese food is filled with MSG :/
  • Options
    Chinese food is filled with MSG :/

i said proper chinese food doesnt have MSG in it, well it does but from cooking with the ingredients that have it in trace, when its alright

most/dodgy chinese take away use msg that comes in big bags of salt, my local doesnt :D well if it does it doesnt use much cause it has so much more flavour :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh yes, of course. that would be my first inclination, to go running to the law. Have you read any of my other posts?
    So you're quite happy to see people ripped off? What a caring wonderful person you are, society is truly blessed to have you as a member! ;)