Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tesco posts unprecedented profits

Supermarket giant Tesco has become the first UK retailer to unveil annual profits of more than £2bn.
The UK's biggest supermarket chain posted underlying pre-tax profits of £2.03bn ($3.83bn), up 20.5% on 2004.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4435339.stm

Funnily enough I was reading a study in the papers a few days ago and Tesco was considerably more expensive with many basic grocery products than high street independent traders.

Surely this can't be right? Where are such monster profits coming from? [/rethorical question :rolleyes: ]
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If people don't like it they can shop elsewhere.

Personally I'm a Sainsbury's shopper, though I sometimes go to Asda.
  • Options
    Are they doing anything wrong aladdin?
  • Options
    I shop at Waitrose or Marks & spencer, I shop for quality first, price second.
  • Options
    In terms of how they treat suppliers they are no more or less ethical than most of the other big players (with Waitrose as the exception) however their efforts with Tesco Metro are fairly nasty.

The total profit figure is really next to meaningless, what matters is how they have made it, there isnt any doubt they are well managed but my concern would be with domestic farmers who are getting fucked by all of the supermarkets.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    In terms of how they treat suppliers they are no more or less ethical than most of the other big players (with Waitrose as the exception) however their efforts with Tesco Metro are fairly nasty.

The total profit figure is really next to meaningless, what matters is how they have made it, there isnt any doubt they are well managed but my concern would be with domestic farmers who are getting fucked by all of the supermarkets.

the amount of convenience shop chains theyve brought up making them an effective monopoly in central london cant be one of them either :chin:

how they and the other supermarkets treat small producers absolutly shambolic

thankfully i have a local fruit and veg stall right outside my local highstreet sainburys thats like £1 for a bowl of bananas/apples/peppers etc which puts them to shame in price
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Are they doing anything wrong aladdin?
    Generally speaking, they're driving small traders out of business and drawing people out of their local communities and into out-of-town megastores.

Once all the independent traders are wiped out supermarkets like Tesco have no competition, and shoppers no choice.

And then it turns out that on many basic produce such as fruit, veg or meat Tesco was more expensive than local shops in the first place! Not to mention of inferior quality.

So the least they could do is to lower their prices. Given the incredible amount of profits they're making that should not be much of a problem.
  • Options
    Supermarkets are giving customers one-stop covenience shopping at prices they can afford. They're also introducing all sorts of new fruits and vegetables to people, all quality controlled within a easy shopping environment.
    In Tesco's if you want low-cost you've got their "value" label, if you want quality, premium priced food, you've got "Finest" - you pays your price and takes your choice!
  • Options
    There is an massive cost to those low prices though - in environmental terms due to aggressive industrialised agriculture, social due to the destruction of local communities and human due to the exploitation of workers to keep costs down.
    Not that I expect you actually give a fuck about anything other than your own shallow ego Rich Prick.
  • Options
    ASDA do make some (ok pretty lame) attempts to help out local small scale producers. A family friend has a farm that produces sausages for asda, part of asda for agriculture.

http://www.asda.co.uk/asda_corp/scripts/homePage.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0522336401.1113306460@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadddmefehlecfkfcfkjdgoodgjg.0&intCatOID=-8943&bodyNavPath=/scripts/allaboutasda/aaMainPage.jsp&imgName=http://graphics.asda.com/ASDA_Corp/topNavImages/but004_off.gif&imgWelcome=http://graphics.asda.com/ASDA_Corp/topNavImages/welcome005.gif&NotToCache=0

half way down the page, what a long link like!!

but yeah supermarkets will end up taking over all small producers if they continue to price them out of the market, which is sad
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    There is an massive cost to those low prices though - in environmental terms due to aggressive industrialised agriculture, social due to the destruction of local communities and human due to the exploitation of workers to keep costs down.
    Provide the evidence.
    Not that I expect you actually give a fuck about anything other than your own shallow ego Rich Prick.
    Don't be so rude Blagsta, I do care about my fellow man. He demands cheap food and then complains about the REAL cost of that cheap food - I think its called "having your cake and eating it"!
  • Options
    I'll stop being rude when you stop being an offensive excuse for a human being.
    Now I've got to go back to work.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

I send my butler shopping, the cook, cooks, and that's on the rare occasions i'm not dining in one of Londons most exclusive restaurants.
  • Options
    I send my butler shopping, the cook, cooks, and that's on the rare occasions i'm not dining in one of Londons most exclusive restaurants.

:D

thats the thing about london homes - too small, yesterday I couldn't even find the butler, it turned out he was helping with cleaning out the dungeon after the game keeper put those pesky trespassers in it.
  • Options
    aladdin

really should have said "illegal" except I knew the answer would be no. I'm just curious as to why you think it's wrong that a company is being so sucessful.
  • Options
    Its not the profit itself, or really the profit margin in of itself, it is Tesco and the others treatment of suppliers, and the locality in which their stores are based.
  • Options
    I don't deny that farmers suffer when there is such massive market control. The point is that everything tesco has done is simply business, and much better business than say microsoft.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I don't deny that farmers suffer when there is such massive market control. The point is that everything tesco has done is simply business, and much better business than say microsoft.

Are Microsoft forcing many hundreds of smaller producers to continually cut their prices leading to more industrial production methods?
  • Options
    Its the price of progress. Unfortunately in any improvement to the market system there are bound to be loosers. People's skills become outdated or they can longer charge enough to make a living. Its tough for these people.

But supermarkets have helped make shopping easier and cheaper for a lot of people.
  • Options
    FACT - Tescos are much worse than any other supermarket at screwing over suppliers, they have pleadged to price match Asda, but whilst Asda belive that making a lower profit margin on each product increases sales and maintians their overall profit, tescos ask suppliers to take the hit instead. Because they have such a large market share its hard for any supplier to refuse an order.

There are also numerous other ways in which supermarkets screw over suppliers just some of which are listed hear.

"The following is a list of techniques that buyers use, which result in the supplier bearing the risk of business transactions. Some may appear extreme, but they are all commonly used by British retailers.
    · Lowering price at the last moment
    · Only agreeing a price once the product has been delivered
    · Delaying payment
    · Shortening lead times (the time between placing the order and when product must be delivered)
    · Refusing to sign contracts
    · Changing the volumes required at short notice
    · Product promotions such as 2 for 1 offers, are actually funded by suppliers. (Often promotions are initiated by supermarkets to achieve their own sales targets. Suppliers keen to please their buyers reluctantly agree to fund such promotions even though they may make a loss. "

FACT - Current intensive farming practices are harming our environment and destroying traditional rural communities.

FACT - Tescos are also screwing over you - they probably mark up each item they sell by around 50% - some of this goes on overheads but most of it goes directly towards thier profits.

If you want any substantial proof I suggest that you click on one of these links below

UK Food Group
    Corporate Watch
    Action Aid
  • Options
    The problem in my view is not about a company making big profits. The problem is making a profit in an such an industry as supermarkets. Because not all is well in the industry. As bong has pointed out, the treatment of suppliers is a big issue. Chicken farmers are said to be making as little as 3p per chicken sold. Egg, milk and lamb farmers don't have much more favourable conditions either.

Everyone is harmed by such situation. Farmers are being treated unjustly; animals are kept in poor conditions (battery chickens for instance) and fed cheap rubbish in order to minimise costs, etc etc.

And with all those extra creamy profits Tesco (and others) make from exploiting farmers and using their power and influence, the company can continue its expansion, buying smaller supermarket chains and pricing independent traders out of the high street.

It's a vicious circle of profit that feeds itself and self-grows.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You'll get a shock when you're living off a student loan!
  • Options
    Stop whingeing some of you! If you want cheap food then you've got to expect market forces to operate, this means retailer squeezing supplier so that the customer ends up with a competitive price.

The only trouble with this is that as Tesco becomes more dominant what happens?

We all saw excellent retailer/supplier relationships in Marks & Spencer but they ain't there now because competition doesn't allow for such cosy closeness any longer - if you can't produce at "x cost", then the retailers goes elsewhere, perhaps abroad. Thats life in business today!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And with all those extra creamy profits Tesco (and others) make from exploiting farmers and using their power and influence, the company can continue its expansion, buying smaller supermarket chains and pricing independent traders out of the high street.
    Interestingly there's been a big row in a town near me over a new Tesco being built. There are already a few small chain supermarkets in the town but it's obvious that the Tesco will harm the remaining independent retailers (and indeed the small chains). Of course, they got planning permission anyway...
  • Options
    I do tend to agree with Rich Kid. Supermarkets provide cheap food and only make any profit because people want to shop there. If you worry about the plight of farmers (and to be fair I suspect some actually fon't give a flying slang term for sexual intercourse about them) go and buy direct from them or from small shops who sell organic food. If you care about small shops buy from them and the supermarkets will either have to change or die.

It seems hypocritical to complain about a business doing well, when the main reason it does well is that people want to buy cheap food from them rather than more expensive food from a local butcher.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Its the price of progress. Unfortunately in any improvement to the market system there are bound to be loosers. People's skills become outdated or they can longer charge enough to make a living. Its tough for these people.

But supermarkets have helped make shopping easier and cheaper for a lot of people.

In what way is it an improvement to the market system???

Oh wait yes its all those millions of pounds of tax payers money going to subsidise cheap agriculture for us all - woooo

Or maybe its the fact that one family still get a major proportion of all the profits from tescos... I wonder how many of them are living in tax havens, therefore evading tax that might go towards services for all of us....
  • Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has ever sat down to examine the effect supermarkets are having on the retail sector as a whole.
    There was a time when supermarkets really just sold food, then they extended into clothing, toys, furniture, garden euipment, music & dvd, electrical goods, newspapers and magazines, personal finance and credit cards, the list goes on ...
    This has got to hurt the small independents and indeed town centres and concentrate too much power into the hands of a few very large businesses.
    Is it good for the consumer ultimately?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not sure if anyone has ever sat down to examine the effect supermarkets are having on the retail sector as a whole.
    There was a time when supermarkets really just sold food, then they extended into clothing, toys, furniture, garden euipment, music & dvd, electrical goods, newspapers and magazines, personal finance and credit cards, the list goes on ...
    This has got to hurt the small independents and indeed town centres and concentrate too much power into the hands of a few very large businesses.
    Is it good for the consumer ultimately?

No because you as the consumer get less choice....
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    No because you as the consumer get less choice....
    b
    but what is choice for the average Joe?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Are Microsoft forcing many hundreds of smaller producers to continually cut their prices leading to more industrial production methods?
    they were convicted of corperate monopoly weren't they?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    they were convicted of corperate monopoly weren't they?

As far a i remember it was in the process of happening but MS threatened to pull out of the U.S. and the charges went away or lessened to nothing worth noting.