Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nits

2»

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Nah, that's just an old wives tale. Head Lice will go to any host whether they're clean or dirty.

And yeah, I feel all itchy too lol.

Ilora x

They will go on any hair, yes. But generally they *do* prefer clean hair as it is easier for them to cling onto it; it isn't as greasy.

However, yes ... anyone can get it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fish_food wrote:

when i had nits when i was younger i had them bad but we bought some shampoo stuff called full marks. we did as the packet said and after that one treatment they were gone so i'd definetly recommend that.
    Yeah, i used that too but it didn't work properly. also, there was a lot of stuff about that and the chemicals in it, saying it was cancerous and could make you lose all your hair and stuff, so my mum refused to use it again. also, i don't think that the stuff about the Full Marks mousse was unfounded cos it caused my hair to fall out in clumps. not nice.
  • Options
    i have tried every damned lotion and potion in my local chemists trying to get rid of my daughters nits. its driving me nuts. i spray her hair with watered down conditioner and comb it with a nit comb every night. this does get rid of them for a wee while, but like the proverbial bad penny, they always bloody turn up again!
    i was seriously considering getting her hair cut from half way down her back to jaw length, but then my son caught them and his hair is only just growing out from a crop!
    my mum has suggested washing her hair in VINEGAR, poor cow will smell like a fish supper!
    must go, i'm starting to itch!!
  • Options
    aaargh wrote:
    i have tried every damned lotion and potion in my local chemists trying to get rid of my daughters nits. its driving me nuts. i spray her hair with watered down conditioner and comb it with a nit comb every night. this does get rid of them for a wee while, but like the proverbial bad penny, they always bloody turn up again!
    i was seriously considering getting her hair cut from half way down her back to jaw length, but then my son caught them and his hair is only just growing out from a crop!
    my mum has suggested washing her hair in VINEGAR, poor cow will smell like a fish supper!
    must go, i'm starting to itch!!

Have you alerted the school? Because i think it is more probable that she is re-catching them.
    When i was at Primary school we would get a letter when someone had nits and everyone would check/get rid of them, that way it stops the spread of them, and there is no one to re-catch them off.
  • Options
    yeah i have told her class teacher every time i find headlice, but they just send out a slip of paper to all the parents asking them to be extra vigilant on the nit front, i know for a fact one of the mums has NEVER denitted her daughters hair says she wouldn't know what to look for!
    buuuuuulllsheeeeet, god i get annoyed sometimes :banghead: