Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How can you tell if you have nits? I was around children yesterday & a few hours afterwards my head started itching & hasn't stopped since.

Comments

• Options
    Wash you hair normally with shampoo and then use conditioner, leave the conditioner on and run a nit comb through your hair. If you have any thei will not be able to grip your hair and you will find them on your comb.

If you have any, go to your pharmacist and get a treatment. Have used Derbac on my kids before. Also used Teatree Oil/Shampoo to keep them away...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Wash you hair normally with shampoo and then use conditioner, leave the conditioner on and run a nit comb through your hair. If you have any thei will not be able to grip your hair and you will find them on your comb.

If you have any, go to your pharmacist and get a treatment. Have used Derbac on my kids before. Also used Teatree Oil/Shampoo to keep them away...

Tea Tree oil is a wonderful thing.

Also, paranoia about headlice can make you itch. If you had children round yesterday then maybe the first thing you should do is find out if they have nits. If they don't then you are just being paranoid. If they do then I would suggest getting treated/checking you hair.
  • Options
    the more you think about it the more you will itch. do as MoK says, then when you know you can treat!
  • Options
    I don't have a nit comb, but a fine one & did it but can't see anything. I am not imagining it though, it's driving me nuts.
  • Options
    Because you are thinking about it! Wash your hair normally and dry it very thoroughly, using a normal comb, comb your hair over a pieve of white paper/sheet or similar, if you see tiny wee specs these are the headlouse egg a.k.a."nits". If there are go to the pharmacist and get a treatment as there will probably ba a head louse infestation.

Question: Did you come inn direct contact between you and the kids hair?
  • Options
    I was cuddling a little girl so yeah i did. I have washed my hair & used a fine comb.
    I must have it what else could be causing my head to itch so much?
  • Options
    the fact you keep thinking about it.
  • Options
    I don't i woke up not even thinking about it & it started itching again. It stopped for about an hour now so far.

I know what you are saying but its not that.
  • Options
    well if its really bothering you go and get a nit kit anyway. it could be an allergic reaction though - changed shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/any product/ colour lately? and even if you havent the manufactorer may have....
  • Options
    Nope sam old stuff. I think i will buy it anyway.
  • Options
    Lost wrote:
    I was cuddling a little girl so yeah i did. I have washed my hair & used a fine comb.
    I must have it what else could be causing my head to itch so much?

Firstly, do you know for sure that the kids had nits? If they didn't then stop panicking. If they did then get a nit comb.

Secondly, the reason your head could be itching is because the thought of nits is now on your mind. Paranoia makes you itch too. I am itching just thinking about it. So yes, your mind is on it a lot which will be making you itch.

Go and buy a nit comb. They ain't expensive and most chemists will have one. There is no point treating your hair without checking firstly. A nit comb is sooo much cheaper than the treatment.
  • Options
    I have got them :(
  • Options
    Lost wrote:
    I have got them :(
    bless you, its nothing to be ashamed of its not dirty or anything like that, just a fact of life that happens to most people

get yourself down the pharmasist sweetie they'll be able to give you the best treatments
  • Options
    you can buy this cream from chemist to put in hair to kill the nits.
    when i used to go primary school some kids had nits and you could see them walking in her hair! No body used to play with that girl either!! felt sorry for her in a way..
  • Options
    if you are going to be in regular contact with children its worth using a tea tree shampoo and conditioner from now on - also let the childs parents know so they can be treated too!
  • Options
    Tea tree oil shampoo is useless!

Firstly, the ability for even pure tea tree oil to fight infestation is not scientifically grounded, so diluted shampoo has even less of a chance.

Remember you only have to use treatments if you have an ACTIVE infestation, i.e. living lice! Nits [the lice eggs] can be combed out with conditioner and a 'nit comb'.

Insecticides from the Pharmacy is the only thing that can kill the wee blighters!!

**why does your head start to itch, thinking about them????**
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Tea tree oil shampoo is useless!

Firstly, the ability for even pure tea tree oil to fight infestation is not scientifically grounded, so diluted shampoo has even less of a chance.

TeaTree Oil is not a cure, it is a prevention measure. No-one (that I can see) is saying "use teatree oil to get rid of them" as you are right, it doesn't work. However, I find that using a teatree oil shampoo means I am less likely to get them as there is something in the shampoo that the lice don't like the smell of.
  • Options
    Well i used some conditioner stuff last night, so lets hope they have gone.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Insecticides from the Pharmacy is the only thing that can kill the wee blighters!!

Not Necessarily. I caught them at school from my best friends little sister, and used the conditioner method. Every time I washed my hair, I'd slap loads of conditioner on and comb it out with a nit comb. I'd also use a nit comb in between. Only took a week or so in the end, and I didn't have to use any nasty chemicals. Think i read somewhere that that method works because you're forcing most of them out with the conditioner, and breaking the legs of the rest because of the nit comb.
  • Options
    ive heard that is the best solution too...you are breaking the cycle. plus alot of the pharmacy preparations are expensive and headlice seem immune to them when you use them - they dont work.

teatree oil shampoo is the only way we managed to stop them from coming back. my sister had them for two years and everything we tried didnt work. SUPER-NITS!! although the electronic nit comb is supposed to be ok - it electrocutes them.
  • Options
    If you read my post correctly I said "KILL the wee blighters" not snapping their legs or combing them out. Actually killing them.

"using a tea tree shampoo and conditioner from now on - also let the childs parents know so they can be treated too"

From that post it is inferring that tea-tree oil is a treatment.

:)
  • Options
    and if you had read the part of the sentence before you can see it was in the context of preventative measures.

pharmacy insecticides dont always kill the blighters mr panthro!
  • Options
    hey its no big deal although i know i would not be too chuffed if i had them myself. i work in a nursery and the few times that a kid has been found to have nits all the adults start scratching there heads in paranoia! fingers crossed i wont get them but working in a nursery im bound to at some point. its just one of those things.
  • Options
    and if you had read the part of the sentence before you can see it was in the context of preventative measures.

pharmacy insecticides dont always kill the blighters mr panthro!

Lord Panthro of Airdrie, actually!! :p
  • Options
    I used to have nits, it;s was bloody horrible. mind you, i gave them to my sister and mum as well, so at least i didn't have to suffer alone. the worst part was that i have thick long hair. try getting a nit comb through all your hair in under an hour when you've got hair like that. eurrgh....
  • Options
    I had them when I was younger and god, the smell of the shampoo stuff was horrible!! I could hardly breathe when my mum was putting it on me!! It was gross! I'm sure it's changed a bit now though! Nits prefer clean hair apparently so anyone that has them can at least remember that!!

p.s. - my head starting itching as soon as I started reading these posts!!!
  • Options
    no decent advice here i just wanted to tell you that this post has made me itch!
  • Options
    dtpcz wrote:
    Nits prefer clean hair apparently so anyone that has them can at least remember that!!

p.s. - my head starting itching as soon as I started reading these posts!!!
    Nah, that's just an old wives tale. Head Lice will go to any host whether they're clean or dirty.

And yeah, I feel all itchy too lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Are you sure they go to any hair? I really thought that was true! Maybe it's just that they can stick to clean hair better...?
  • Options
    not sure if this is too late but i'll post it anyway....

when i had nits when i was younger i had them bad but we bought some shampoo stuff called full marks. we did as the packet said and after that one treatment they were gone so i'd definetly recommend that.