Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Amsterdam

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah i got lost everyday, all those canals look the same and when your stoned off your tits it gets a bit tricky.........all good fun tho, i would recommend the damrak hotel if ur on a budget, cheap and cheerful, 50 euros for 3 nights if i recall correctly........and you can book online, bonus...........

the weed is a bit pricey but worth it, ak-47 is the shit, and top 44 from bulldog........the solid is good but it's a bit too intense and harsh to smoke all day........hmmm walking round red light district on truffles is definitely an experience, that place is pretty crazy you see several ppl queueing for one ho, it's not really my thing but whilst tripping i was slightly tempted, you just have to think the fitter they are, the more old men have been there, done that..........eughhhh........so many good cafes but somehow can't recall most of the names.......bluebird is nice, they have a huge book of weed and these leather sofas you can't get up off........i could rave about dam all day, if your a stoner and you ain't been you really must.

no real rush to go back, its a bit of a mecca for stoners so glad i went..........only thing i didn't like is you get asked/forced to buy drinks in a lot of bars/cafes, and the dodgy dealers out at nite but if you have a few mates it's alrite, all adds to the adventure..........and watch out for tramp tax.
  • Options
    50 euro for 3 nights,is that only accomadation or is breakfast included in it? good price

I'd say walking around the Dam on truffles would be quite an experience.

In general though, is it a nice city?
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    50 euro for 3 nights,is that only accomadation or is breakfast included in it? good price

I'd say walking around the Dam on truffles would be quite an experience.

In general though, is it a nice city?

incl. breakfast but you have to be up damn early, i only managed it once to find they were serving cheerios, no kidding lol..........but there's a nice cafe just adjacent, they do english meals as well........damrak is good tho cos its really central, and pretty close to train station........the city itself is pretty nice, surprisingly small and quaint, there are plenty of museums and the like but tbh i only really saw the place while i was lost, spent most of the time in and out of cafes..........daytime its very friendly, night time you might not feel awful safe on your own, but there is a definite police presence, they ride round on bikes and are very friendly........not worth staying much longer than 4 days, i was ready to come home my brain was mashed.......i spent about 200 quid in total (incl. flights) and most of that was on weed, so if you don't go overboard it's a nice cheap getaway.........

ETA: this might help.........lol the rooms are decent but dont look as nice as in the photos btw.......
  • Options
    Yeh Shogun it's a nice place to walk around. Me and my mate got mashed and walked all around the dam square area. All them the canals and the flower markets trippy :razz:
  • Options
    Dosen't sound too expensive overall, alot cheaper than somewhere in Spain.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    that place is pretty crazy you see several ppl queueing for one ho, it's not really my thing but whilst tripping i was slightly tempted, you just have to think the fitter they are, the more old men have been there, done that..........

reminds me of when shogun got a blo job off a morrocan in a back alley in barcelona for 20 euro :o
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    reminds me of when shogun got a blo job off a morrocan in a back alley in barcelona for 20 euro :o
    did she do a runner with your wallet as well shogun? they are big horrible fuckers, you must of been jam rolled
  • Options
    Nah she never did a runner with my wallet and yes i was messed up.
  • Options
    3 nights b&b (the flying pig palace:D)

That's where I stayed when I went the 2nd time. The 1st time I stayed at the flying pig beach hostel which isnt actually in Amsterdam itself, about half an hour by train. The Palace is way better though, cos you can smoke weed inside, whereas at the beach one, theres a little balcony to smoke on, but i went in august and it was still pretty chilly out there! As far as coffeeshops go I can recommend the Dolphin cafe, it's well cool inside and sells quite a large range of cannabis (solid and weed). Don't ask me where it was though....I spent most of the time in a haze....:D
    Amsterdam's fucking wicked IF you're a stoner, I dont know if I'd go back now, since I gave up smoking weed over a year ago. And no matter how stoned you get here in England, NOTHING compares to Amsterdam.....
  • Options
    If you are going make sure you go into a Brown Bar, they are proper old locals and always serve tip top lovey beers.
  • Options
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and I thought the cafes were pretty shitty. I'd generally just bought my stuff and sat at the main square, go for a walk or else sit on a bench by a canal. There was one time when I stayed in a cafe to talk to some Ghanans about the football that'd been on, but that was it.

I tried to get a room in the flying pig palace, but it was fully booked, looked pretty good though. Can't recommend any other hostels because the ones I stayed in were pretty piss poor.

Some of the bars were pretty good, never met any non-Brits or Irish in them though and you REALLY have to like Heineken or Amstel.

Amsterdam is great for walking around, I was getting lost every day and finding my way back in the evening, it's easy enough. Watch out for the bikes btw, they come outta nowhere.

Red Light District is good if you like prostitution and it's something you're not going to see anywhere else, but it's pretty depressing generally.

I was there for a week because I was meant to go on to Berlin but couldn't afford it in the end, so after 4 days I was getting sick of it all. If I were you, I wouldn't do it longer than that.

Also, I got my flights for £60 out of Aldergrove, booked a couple of months in advance.
  • Options
    Some of the bars were pretty good, never met any non-Brits or Irish in them though and you REALLY have to like Heineken or Amstel.

Thats why the Brown Bars are good, they are sort of the Dutch version of the old British local, slightly dirty and dark but they serve excellent lagers.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Thats why the Brown Bars are good, they are sort of the Dutch version of the old British local, slightly dirty and dark but they serve excellent lagers.

I'd heard about these places, but had no idea how to look for them or where they might be. I found one place about 2 canals east from the red light district where I heard no English and seemed to be the only bar in Amsterdam that didn't do Heineken. That was pretty good, no idea if it was a brown bar though.
  • Options
    Basically if its slightly dirty, dark and dank with only locals in it, then its a Brown Bar, so called because the walls are normally coated from loads of smoking.

They serve the best beer and they are cheaper.
  • Options
    Ahh probably was, although I've no idea how cheap the beer was, what with all the euro and measures converting in my head... I reckon it was cheap enough.
  • Options
    Its always best to drink where the locals do anyway, that way you not only avoid the dicks from back home, but also get the best beer at the best price.
  • Options
    Aye, I noticed that quite a lot when I was in Europe last summer. Particularly in Bucharest because there was hardly any tourist trade compared to everywhere else. We were paying pennies for the beers.
  • Options
    It works the same way for the coffee shops too, dont go to the Bulldog or any of the chain ones, find the ones further out from the centre, the serving people will be better, know more and have better prices.