Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Amsterdam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Thinking of going this year, flights costing £100 or so return, how much spending money would you need roughly for when your there, like is the place expensive, is the weed expensive? what's the best time of year to go? what's the weather like?

Girl runner- Your the most recent person I know of whos been in the place, how was it?

Comments

• Options
    weather is similar to UK. i went in about May time and it was very hot, but i just got lucky. Amsterdam is quite expensive in general, slightly cheaper than london i would say
  • Options
    Most expensive thing is getting the munchies 5 times a day and having 5 takeaways/resteraunt meals :D
  • Options
    Price of weed?
  • Options
    information would be sound, im interested also.
  • Options
    I was hoping to go somewhere in Spain but it's looking to be too expensive, especially with Oxygen in July and I don't want to sell my ticket like some of my other friends are planning to do.
  • Options
    oxygen?

ive always wanted to go to Amsterdam, for various reasons and for the past few years, not so obvious ones! :chin:

bubblefunk? yes!
  • Options
    i love how 'Amsterdam' is listed under 'Drugs' instead of 'Travel' :D
  • Options
    i love how 'Amsterdam' is listed under 'Drugs' instead of 'Travel' :D

:D

You'd get a better response in here from some who might not visit the travel boards...

Oxygen is a 2 day festival with many bands and acts, you go down on the friday and the acts are on the saturday and sunday.

Greenday, Neworder, Foo Fighters, Prodigy, The Frames, Audioslave, Queens of the stone age, The Streets, The Killers, Deep Dish, Keane, Beautiful South, Razorlight, Kasabian, Ian Brown, James Brown, Erik Morillo, Slam, Black Strobe, Sillicione Soul, Death in Vegas.

There' also a dance area with alot of less known names but probably stomping music being played.
  • Options
    oh man enjoy the Prodigy they are the tits live :hyper:
  • Options
    well thats only some of my most favourite bands, shiiit.

prodigy were the reason i started listening to music.
  • Options
    What, Lurks, In The Hearts of men :D
  • Options
    All their wierd noises and sounds...with pure darkness and then flashing silvery lights..with thousands and thousands of other people..it's a pity shrooms are gonna be illegal...hold on actually..they are not going to be made illegal down South, so they might be selling them at it or else somewhere down in Dublin.

Looking forward to Greenday too, they should be good.

You never been to Amsterdam martin?
  • Options
    nah, had about 3 planned but they've all gone tits up.
  • Options
    The Dam is ok, its an attractive city certainly but quite small, there really isnt a massive amount to do there.

The art galleries are fantastic, real gems and well worth a visit, but that might not be your bag.

The puff is a bit expencive, but then its very high strength, so probably about what you would pay per gram here, but for better stuff.

Go with the solid, the green is ok, but its virtually the same to whats on the market here.

Of course theres the Red Light District if you're wanting it, but I found it all a bit nasty, the women arent what you'd call 'lookers' as such.

You must be able to get Easyjet or Ryan Air for less than £100.
  • Options
    have a look at thomson site for your flights
  • Options
    is it just me that thinks it could all be a bit expensive for a trip that amounts to going to a fine european city in order to smoke green SO UNBELIEVABLY strong that it just fucks you over and all you want to do is mong or sleep?

I still think we should all jack up MDMA :D <joke>
  • Options
    I went to Utrecht in February but popped into Amsderdam on my way home - but i've been 3 times before....

I used to really like it and wanted to live there but after visiting utrecht which was lovely i'm not so sure - but also it was cold and i mainly stayed in the red light district.

Anyway i guess it depends how much you want to spend really - you could stay in a 5* hotel, eat out all the time and go clubbing etc or you could doss it in a youth hostel.

Anyway i wasn't in AMS but i spent about €250 on 4 days away, which was just on some meals out, drinking quite a bit, taxis etc, tbh i wasn't expecting it to be so much i'd budgetted about £100 or €140 for the whole weekend and i was a bit shocked how expensive it was. But i gess no more expensive than London

In terms of the drugs i didn't really buy that much as i dont' smoke loads and was sharing with a friend who smoked even less, but most of the shops seemed to sell bags in price brackets like €10 for 0.8g or 0.7g depending on the quality etc
  • Options
    i was in amsterdam last easter. great place. not a whole lot to do so if you're going other than to sample the drugs - i would go elsewhere.

the weed is fantastic. white widow, northern lights etc being my favourites. they cost about 10 euro per bag, which is about a gram as far as i remember - but there was just so much of it going around that no body knew who owned what etc. cause its so strong you dont need so much so it doesnt really cost that much to smoke over there.

best cafes are ROKERIJ's - all over the city and DAMPKRING & DA KUL. the guys who sell the stuff ( at seperate bars to the main bar) can tell you all you need to know about the stuff - they obviously know what they're talking about.

one thing you don't hear much of from the Damage are the baggies. find a cafe with a vapourizer and they can vapourize some of your weed into a bag plastic bag with a nozzle on it. it was mind blowing but in saying that one of the lads who doesnt smoke much had to go home after a blast off a baggie of white widow. its free aswell!

the hash was very good too - AK47 and SUPER AFGHAN were my favourites and i found that for long smoking sessions, those who smoked the hash lasted longer. pretty much the same price as the weed i think.

it real dodgy at night - tons of hairy looking bastards hanging around street corners trying to sell you pills and " coca". they are almost all rip off merchants - two of my friends got sold a tic tac instead of a pill. when they politely brought this to the dealers attention, and he had their money, they were kindly told to go away before they got stabbed. that, and other stories we heard - so its probably best to give the street guys a miss. they follow you as well if your off your tits - we were on shrooms and got followed by a few lads - there was no way we could have defended ourselves so we had to just run - ended up going around in circles then we got lost etc etc - so they are bad news all 'round.

bars can be quite good there - such as hil st blues and bourbon st for live music. as someone said they have art galleries etc, but we relaxed in cafes during the day and saw none of these.

the locals hate tourists - especially drugged up tourists so i wouldnt expect to make any friends over there.

the red light district is hilarious but overall the ladies are extremely unattractive and i believe its not worth the money ( their hand on your penis to stop full entry and extra $ for them to take their bra off!!!!!!) - but its still good fun to stall it around the red light for a while - especially after a few smokes.

accomodation is hard to find at short notice. the food is okay. weather seemed fine. during the day when your not wasted, its a lovely place - lots of canals and picturesque streets and the locals will be a bit friendlier if your not out of your mind.

a word on the shrooms - they sell all sorts - from mexicans to hawaiians, in order of strength. they said the truffels would do two of us and thats what we did but in hindsight i would have prefered to go thirds or quarters. we were freaking out and had to abandon pub to go to apartment - so dont listen to the people in the head shops - they dose for very experienced users and in honesty how many irish people take very strong shrooms and then hit the local? not many - so its hard to deal with being in avery busy bar on such strong drugs. we lasted one drink and had to do a bee line for the gaf.

overall - it was brilliant and we are penning in another trip for sometime soon. it has to be seen once anyway. spent about 700 - 800 euro in total for three nights, but we got slightly cheaper flights as we went through Belgium and got a bus up. ( seemed like a good idea at the time). aer lingus fly direct for good prices with early booking.
  • Options
    oh one more thing - SHOGUN - you will be vey lucky to find anyone selling shrooms in Dublin - have not seen or heard or it in all my many years. even LSD, tabs, sheets etc are off sale. every now and then you hear about them but no one can ever get them -especially south side dublin, i hear north side is better for LSD and the likes but its still hard to get. When is OXYGEN on? shroom season started in September last year so if the timing is right you could pick your own but concerts are usually on earlier in summer i think. also i must warn you if you're thinking of buying your own pills etc in dublin the last batch going around were awful -
  • Options
    bananaman wrote:
    When is OXYGEN on?

8-11th july...can't fucking wait...yeh prodigy live...last year i saw about 5 bands...spent most of the time off my head in the campsite which is worth the money alone...

was asked to go to the dam this year...just don't have the time or the money...
  • Options
    when you see the prodigy they will play loads of stuff you've never heard from them... seeing the prodigy live is one of those rare experiences where the band is always a ton better live..

Having 50,000 people screaming against the criminal justice bill is magic
  • Options
    Having 50,000 people screaming against the criminal justice bill is magic

is that their law you're talking about...do they play much from music for a jilted generation?
  • Options
    bananaman wrote:
    a word on the shrooms - they sell all sorts - from mexicans to hawaiians, in order of strength. they said the truffels would do two of us and thats what we did but in hindsight i would have prefered to go thirds or quarters.

SO true, If you buy mushies, half a box is ample for one person. They guy in the shop insisted on one box each. I've done shrooms on a few occasion before, but this was like no time before. Three of us spent about 5 hours spinning out big time, so much so I had to go back to the hotel room coz it was just to much outside.

This was in March, the night before we left, am going back in June though. Gonna go straight back to the shop to kick that guys ass. (and maybe buy some more shrooms, and try again. :D)
  • Options
    Oh, and Thomsonfly.com for the flights, If you book early they should only be about 50 quid return. :yes:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    is that their law you're talking about...do they play much from music for a jilted generation?

thats amazing that song, try and grab the prodigy experience video, from back in the day. Brilliant.

Break and Enter needs to be played more.
  • Options
    yes yes it does...

first track @ Glastonbury 95 dont you know?
  • Options
    i didnt know actually.

its one of their best, with liam doing the snare drum parts..or what i recall as being snares. Also that time they did moscow, maxim singing/shouting...

"oh my god that some funky shit" right in one of the venue ladies face'.

just a pity leroy wont be there to do HIS infamous dance.
  • Options
    Break and Enter needs to be played more.

listened to that song in the dark while tripping out once...bad idea...especially the part where the breathing comes in...
  • Options
    'Coma' by Guns and Roses has the same effect :crazyeyes:
  • Options
    OOO yus amsterdam. Get a map. That way you shouldn't get lost and don't need to waste any money on public transport. Go for cheap as. I went £100 flights (Luton-Amsterdam) and 3 nights b&b (the flying pig palace:D) As for coffee shops, I loved Coffeeshop Abraxas, its just off dam square and has a fantastic range of hash and weed as well as cannabis cakes/teas/milkshakes.