Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why Is Immigration An Issue?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So apollo_69, are you going to clarify your "Michael Howard is a Fascist" remark?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I know about his family. Thats why i think its even worse what he is doing. I bet he wouldn't have been advocating the same policies if he was alive at the time his parents came over to the country.

You truely are either very stupid or just a closed minded nasty little individual if you think that the Daily Mail is a "Sword of Truth" Read a proper newspaper.

Millions of people also smoke, that doesn't make it a good thing does it?

By your logic RK smoking is a good thing because millions of people do it.

Are you actually going to try to come back to this or just run away?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    So apollo_69, are you going to clarify your "Michael Howard is a Fascist" remark?

thanks i think you just did it for me, from his views i can only presume michael howard is a fascist, how does being a jewish survivor make him any less eligible?? he never even fled the country twas his parents, i bet they're rolling in their graves......

ETA: notice how i actually answered your question RK, see it ain't that hard........or are all these questions you blatantly ignore 'too personal'? troll.......
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    from his views i can only presume michael howard is a fascist
    Why don't you send this to the Jewish Chronicle?
    I think its the most disgraceful comment I've read on this forum yet. It just shows you have no understanding of how the Jewish people suffered under Fascism, your insensitive comments would certainly upset any Jewish person. In fact I think it borders on being a racist comment.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why don't you send this to the Jewish Chronicle?
    I think its the most disgraceful comment I've read on this forum yet. It just shows you have no understanding of how the Jewish people suffered under Fascism, your insensitive comments would certainly upset any Jewish person. In fact I think it borders on being a racist comment.

:lol::lol: why don't you send it for me? i know well how jews suffered under fascism, they weren't the only ones either........my comments would only upset an overly-sensitive or ignorant person like yourself...........it borders on the truth, something you're not very comfortable with, so go back to your tea and croissants........
  • Options
    Fascism doesn't necessarily equal Nazism.

And to paraphrase one of your favourite sayings, if it feels like a fascist, sounds like a fascist and smells like a fascist, perhaps it is a fascist.

His visceral hatred of economic migrants and assylum seekers are much closer to fascism than to any other political denomination.
  • Options
    Hey Rich Kid!

Renzo wrote:

Are you actually going to try to come back to this or just run away?

Go on....justify your claim that the mail must be good because millions of people read it.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    No my friend its your logic that is flawed!
    I simply said that millions read the Daily Mail & Daily Express, and believe much of what they read, although others, like you, read other newspapers and form different opinions. Horses for courses but there is no need to be disrespectful of those who read popular tabloids.
    That is very different from smoking, which is generally accepted by everyone to be bad for you, including governments of all persuasions, and scientific and medical authorities.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    It just shows you have no understanding of how the Jewish people suffered under Fascism, your insensitive comments would certainly upset any Jewish person.

but it's ok to complain about gypsy's who also suffered under Nazism...double standards anyone?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No my friend its your logic that is flawed!
    I simply said that millions read the Daily Mail & Daily Express, and believe much of what they read, although others, like you, read other newspapers and form different opinions. Horse for course but there is no need to be disrespectful of those who read popular tabloids.
    That is very different from smoking, which is generally accepted by everyone to be bad for you, including governments of all persuasions, and scientific and medical authorities.

But you said that millions of people read it, and you said that shows how good it is. Sheesh, if you are someone of right wing pursuasion you could at least read the Telegraph and get some grip on what is going on.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    if you are someone of right wing pursuasion you could at least read the Telegraph and get some grip on what is going on.
    Who said I'm right-wing?
  • Options
    Mussolini
  • Options
    (edit sorry made a mistake) :thumb:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Who said I'm right-wing?

Any idiot who knows the smallest thing about Politics. Just look at your views on Tax for a start.
  • Options
    pics512.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway returning to the topic in question

To argue that Britain needs economic migrants because of their alleged energy, talent and skills, is to ignore the flip side of that coin which is that the country they came from is going to be deprived of their energy, talent and skills. Every economic migrant who comes here is depriving his or her country of their ability, and is prolonging their own country's agony. It is irresponsible and immoral to deprive countries in this way. Economic migration on these terms is a form of piracy, which should be outlawed!

Morally speaking, developed countries should not encourage a brain drain from the developing world, especially not of those who have been described as hard working, educated and entrepreneurial.

Immigrationists need to explain why they advocate the economic piracy and brain-draining of the developing world. They need to explain why they advocate a policy guaranteed to keep the developing world in poverty.
  • Options
    Good point RK.

Perhaps we should tax their employers more and send the money back to their native lands?

Y'know, in the interests of fairness.
  • Options
    Better still, perhaps we should be more morally honest about the whole process of economic piracy!
  • Options
    There is no morality in your argument RK.

Coming to this "country" is a voluntary act. You are proposing to use violence to stop it. It's immoral to use violence against the peaceful, Rk, you know that.

Now go shoo that billygoat off your bridge.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Who said I'm right-wing?

are you kidding? Homophobic, Christian fundamentalist, Loves Maggie Thatcher, thinks that bigoted tabloids are fine reads, loves U.S. foreign policy, and wants to severely restrict immigration...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

To argue that Britain needs economic migrants because of their alleged energy, talent and skills, is to ignore the flip side of that coin which is that the country they came from is going to be deprived of their energy, talent and skills. Every economic migrant who comes here is depriving his or her country of their ability, and is prolonging their own country's agony. It is irresponsible and immoral to deprive countries in this way. Economic migration on these terms is a form of piracy, which should be outlawed!

Morally speaking, developed countries should not encourage a brain drain from the developing world, especially not of those who have been described as hard working, educated and entrepreneurial.

Immigrationists need to explain why they advocate the economic piracy and brain-draining of the developing world. They need to explain why they advocate a policy guaranteed to keep the developing world in poverty.

yes because there's so much oppurtunity for work in their native countries and their native countries governments are sooooo kind to its' people... :rolleyes:

if they could do work in their own countries and get good wages in their own countries they wouldn't come here in the first place....
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    They need to explain why they advocate a policy guaranteed to keep the developing world in poverty.

i quite agree, developed countries should have to explain why their corporations use the resources of developing country for their own selfish gain while sucking the economy dry. a twist on your words i know but still...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Hmmm, yes. Totally ignoring the realities imposed by global "free" market capitalism. Well done.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hmmm, yes. Totally ignoring the realities imposed by global "free" market capitalism. Well done.
    Side step the difficult issues as usual Blagsta. Why don't you provide a real answer?

Anyway back to the issue at hand, immigration and asylum, and why these issues are so upper-most in people's minds - just look at the news!

An illegal asylum seeker, Karmel Bourgass, who had two asylum applications turned down and should have been deported two years earlier turns out to be one of the "phantom" terrorists that many on this forum have recently said don't exist!!!

He trained at an Al Qaeda camp in Afghnaistan and planned, (with others yet to be found), a campaign to manufacture and use deadly poisons both here and elsewhere in Europe. He stabbed a Police Officer, going about his duty to protect the citizens of this country, 8 times in a frenzied effort to escape.

I was nearly sick this morning as I heard Charles Clark on BBC News this morning weakly say, "border issues must be addressed" - after 8 years!!! Stable doors and bolted horse come to mind!!!

Labour has lost control of our national borders, hasn't a clue as to who is coming into this country, has no effective way of removing illegals, and this is the price we pay - an open invitation to terrorist to set up bases and attack this country!

Those of you who are in denial as to the terrorits threat should contact Mrs Oake, the widow of the murdered policeman, and tell her its all made up by the media!!!
  • Options
    Well done Rich Kid. Clearly one case illustrates an entire group consisting of tens of thousands of people.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well done Rich Kid. Clearly one case illustrates an entire group consisting of tens of thousands of people.
    You gave one example as an illustration for many only yesterday lamp boy, so pot & black and all that!!!!
  • Options
    Okay. So you are both wrong.

you are still wrong, Rich Kid.

Read the BBC articles on the "terrorist" plot to see propoganda at it's finest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4440953.stm
    Police are not even sure if Bourgass is his real name, nor is his birthdate or place of birth certain.

But -
    MI5 claimed he was a "sleeper", an al-Qaeda operative who was to be activated at the right time to carry out an outrage on Britain's streets.

If they don't even know who he is how the fuck do they know what he's been doing?
    Police believe he spent time in Afghanistan and got training on how to make and use poisons

Believe - i.e. they have no evidence.

Sounds like he was "trained" in afghanistan doesn't it? Nope. He was "trained" in England. By "trained" they mean photocopied recipes provided by someone who was housing him at the time.

The first three statements in a BBC report deliberately misleading? Well I never!

You do know, RK that he ws convicted on "evidence" obtained through torture?

Evidence refused at his murder trial because they hadn't got rid of our baic legal rights at that point?

Meh. Whatever. Theres no way of reaching you anyway.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    EU honey. The process involved is the same as if I should move to another part of Denmark more or less.
    Being part of the EU means that it has been decided that the background I am used to is more or less on the level of what can be found in England. The integrating part has been taken care of in advance I'd say.

I am sure you don't beleive that is true do you?

When it was decided that the Eu would become an area of free movement I feel fairly certain that they were not considering the cultural homogeneity of the people in it.

The fact you are allowed to immigrate because of Eu rules is just a definitional argument, there is no actual factual difference from yuor immigration as that of someone from Afghanistan..........
  • Options
    Back to the topic

An effective strategy to deter migration needs to consider why people are immigrating. We need to ask if the policies of our country have anything to do with creating the poverty which is pushing the migrants towards us.

If so, then a long-term solution, which should begin now, is to work to relieve, and remove, as much as we can, the economic conditions that breed the poverty. Policy should be based on helping people achieve a decent standard of living, where they live, in order that they do not have to migrate for economic purposes.

Some immigrationists point accurately to the injustice of the present global economic system. But their "solution" is to call for open borders and promote mass migration! This suggests that they are more concerned to effect demographic change in the West, than to address the roots of the economic injustice.

Instead of imagining these problems can be solved by mass migration and demographic change in the Western world, they should be advocating cancellation of international debts, localised economic policies, and national economic freedom from the IMF, World Bank and WTO, while acknowledging the moral principle and democratic imperative that every People of every Nation have the absolute right to control their borders - physical, economic and ideological.

To deny this to the People is immoral and anti-democratic.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Side step the difficult issues as usual Blagsta. Why don't you provide a real answer?

Anyway back to the issue at hand, immigration and asylum, and why these issues are so upper-most in people's minds - just look at the news!

An illegal asylum seeker, Karmel Bourgass, who had two asylum applications turned down and should have been deported two years earlier turns out to be one of the "phantom" terrorists that many on this forum have recently said don't exist!!!

He trained at an Al Qaeda camp in Afghnaistan and planned, (with others yet to be found), a campaign to manufacture and use deadly poisons both here and elsewhere in Europe. He stabbed a Police Officer, going about his duty to protect the citizens of this country, 8 times in a frenzied effort to escape.

The stabbing was indeed horrific.

However, to brandish him as an Al-Queda terrorist is going WAY too far.

He admited under interogation in Algeria (you can guess how nice that was) that he had been trained and had met Bin Laden, but is that in any way reliable?

He did indeed have the methods and stuff to make ricin, but did you hear what he was going to do with it? Smear it on peoples car door handles!! A method so un-dangerous it would have been nigh on impossible to even make someone sick, let alone die.