Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why Is Immigration An Issue?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hobbs wrote:
    or provided a link to the evidence that supports it
    Front page story in todays Daily Mail, confirmed inside by many, including the Home Office.
  • Options
    I'm surprised at you Rich Kid, most people know that an increase in the labor force causes your production possibility curve to grow. Seems to me that's something that capitalist's such as yourself would like. :confused:

Agreed. According to David Mellor a few years ago, Margaret Thatcher was unconcerned about immigration behind closed doors for that very reason.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You people love conspiracies! I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm certainly not Labour or Lib-Dem, and I'm not a memeber of the Tory party. I'm simply a concerned citizen who has certain views on important issues that no political party addresses in totality.

Anyway back to the thread.

You can understand why decent ordinary people are so suspicious of Labour when it comes to immigration. Not only have they failed miserably to protect our national borders, (surely one of the main objectives of any government), but they've introduced a secret "temporary admissions" policy for immigrants, without any parliamentary discussion - Phoney Blair treats Parliament with utter contempt!

This policy can best be summed up as follows. If an illegal immigrant arrives with suspect documents he/she is allowed through as long as they "promise" to return within 48 hours for questioning or deportation.

Not surprisingly most never come back!

So in these days of international terrorism where the Head of the Metropolitan Police has said "its not a matter of if the terrorists will strike us, its a question of when", we are quite happy to wave people through, some of whom could be the very people who will attack us!

As anyone who has travelled to the States will know, the Americans wouldn't put up with this nonsense!

At the manifesto launch Mr Howard claimed it had come to light that immigration officers at some airports had been given instructions that if someone presented themselves with suspect papers they were to be allowed into the country for two days, "in the hope that they will come back and report at the end of those 48 hours".

Pushed for evidence by reporters, Mr Howard said: "Everyone knows that the immigration officers have had their orders changed. I suggest that anybody who doubts what I am saying goes and talks to the chief constable of Avon and Somerset, who will confirm what I have just said."

The force was flooded with calls from the media, but the chief constable, Colin Port, declined to comment.

At first Tory aides said Mr Howard's remarks were based on a News of the World story published two weeks ago, in which it claimed a new "barmy plan" had been introduced at Bristol.

Pressed further, Mr Port's press office reissued - on behalf of the force, rather than the chief constable - a statement carried in the News of the World that "we are concerned about the new process and the implications of it".

The Tories insisted the statement confirmed the story.

But the Home Office denied strongly that there had been a change of policy. A spokeswoman said people had for many years been granted temporary admission if it was believed they were "not a security risk or a threat to society" under the Asylum and Immigration Act 1971.

Another twist followed when a source within the Avon and Somerset force suggested that questions should be addressed to the Conservative party co-chairman, Liam Fox, who is the MP for Woodspring, south of Bristol.

His office later confirmed that before the News of the World published its report, Dr Fox had taken up the matter with the chief constable after an immigration worker turned up at his surgery and told him of the alleged new system. A spokeswoman would not comment on whether it was he who had passed on the story to the tabloid.

Dr Fox said he spoke to the chief constable twice - shortly after the immigration official made the claims in his surgery and yesterday. He claimed: "The chief constable looked into the problem and confirmed that the system had changed."

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/election/story/0,15803,1457632,00.html#article_continue
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Interesting to note that no-one has refuted this terrible shambolic story!!!!

Interesting to note how many posts that refute your shambolic posts you choose to ignore... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    , while the number of immigrants can be restricted until better ways of engaging them in society have been created.

You are coming to study in Britain aren't you?

You will thus be an immigrant?
  • Options
    The problem with the Tory policy is that they claim to be very concerned that we don't let any Tom, Deepak or Ali in. Yet the reality is that they don't really care about Tom...
  • Options
    hobbs wrote:
    or provided a link to the evidence that supports it

Front page of the Daily Mail today I think. So that's a fairly good refutation.
  • Options
    Division of land has always confused me seeing as nobody owned it in the first place.

Music to my cloth ears. :D
    People used to divide thier plots of land and vegetable ptches, then they started to claim ownership of the land.

Ah marvellous. :thumb:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Music to my cloth ears. :D

Ah marvellous. :thumb:

Aaaah, we agree on something.
  • Options
    immigration is an issue because people are ignorant, full stop..........tabloids are just as much to blame as anything else.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    You are coming to study in Britain aren't you?

You will thus be an immigrant?

EU honey. The process involved is the same as if I should move to another part of Denmark more or less.
    Being part of the EU means that it has been decided that the background I am used to is more or less on the level of what can be found in England. The integrating part has been taken care of in advance I'd say.
  • Options
    Since when is an overseas student an immigrant?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Since when is an overseas student an immigrant?

same as someone who comes here to work, need a visa
  • Options
    same as someone who comes here to work, need a visa

Way easier to get though (when people come from countries where it is required).
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Way easier to get though (when people come from countries where it is required).

non eu basically

even US students in britain have to get one
  • Options
    An immigrant is someone who goes to a country in order to settle there permanently, not in order to study.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    immigration is an issue because people are ignorant, full stop..........tabloids are just as much to blame as anything else.........
    What a condescending arrogant statement to make about the British people, next you're be denying them the vote due to their ignorance!
    Its people like you, and the Labour party, that hold the British people in such utter contempt, just because they have more sense in their little fingers, about key issues that affect them, than you have in your whole body!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    An immigrant is someone who goes to a country in order to settle there permanently, not in order to study.

well what about someone iwas chatting to down the pub, he's from albania, he's working on building sites here, and sending money home so his family can get their own business started there

if you have a strict immigraton system, when people get in here, they want to stay, whilst with effectively a discretionary policy, people just follow the jobs so to speak
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What a condescending arrogant statement to make about the British people, next you're be denying them the vote due to their ignorance!
    Its people like you, and the Labour party, that hold the British people in such utter contempt, just because they have more sense in their little fingers, about key issues that affect them, than you have in your whole body!

condescending and arrogant perhaps........i just call it how i see it.......i dont hold the people in contempt, where do you think they get these ideas? it's scaremongering by the friggin tories and shitty tabloids that i have contempt for......a lot of brits are far too easily led, finding it harder and harder to think for themselves, especially if the leader of the main opposition party is spewing such crap, most ppl will think there must be some truth to it.........immigration is a non-issue, you are a moron.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    ....immigration is a non-issue, you are a moron.
    You're trying to push water up hill my friend! Just talk to normal ordinary decent people and you'll soon find out the error of your ways!
    Immigration is right up there, thank God!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You're trying to push water up hill my friend! Just talk to normal ordinary decent people and you'll soon find out the error of your ways!

Only because of the nasty papers you read and the lies of Micheal Howard and his fascist party.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

and you're talking out of your arse (is that natural? ;) ), but what's new?.........tell me what limits do the tories plan to impose in immigration? and how will they implement this? or is it all just sensationalist policies with no real substance, hmmm........michael howard is here as result of immigration, thats about the only argument i can see against letting them in the country.......what a xenophobic hypocrite.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Only because of the nasty papers you read and the lies of Micheal Howard and his fascist party.
    Then there must be a lot of "nasty people" in this country because millions of people read the Daily Mail (The Sword of Truth) and the Daily Express, so please do not show such contempt for the British people!
    And I don't think its very nice, or intelligent, associating Michael Howard, (who is Jewish, and some of his family members were killed by the Nazi's), with a fascist party! I believe you should apologise for making such a statement.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Then there must be a lot of "nasty people" in this country because millions of people read the Daily Mail (The Sword of Truth) and the Daily Express, so please do not show such contempt for the British people!
    And I don't think its very nice, or intelligent, associating Michael Howard, (who is Jewish, and some of his family members were killed by the Nazi's), with a fascist party! I believe you should apologise for making such a statement.

I know about his family. Thats why i think its even worse what he is doing. I bet he wouldn't have been advocating the same policies if he was alive at the time his parents came over to the country.

You truely are either very stupid or just a closed minded nasty little individual if you think that the Daily Mail is a "Sword of Truth" Read a proper newspaper.

Millions of people also smoke, that doesn't make it a good thing does it?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

why, a jewish holocaust survivor can't be a fascist or associated with that ilk? i think you should apologise for such a blatant display of ignorance.........

sword of truth? :lol: gets me every time.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    Funniest thing I've heard all day. This kid's going to kill me...
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    why, a jewish holocaust survivor can't be a fascist or associated with that ilk? i think you should apologise for such a blatant display of ignorance.........
    Let me get this straight. Are you actually suggesting that a Jewish holocaust survivor could possibly be (1) a fascist, and, (2) lead a fascist party?
    Please clarify this for my own understanding.
    What, the sword?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I know about his family. Thats why i think its even worse what he is doing. I bet he wouldn't have been advocating the same policies if he was alive at the time his parents came over to the country.

You truely are either very stupid or just a closed minded nasty little individual if you think that the Daily Mail is a "Sword of Truth" Read a proper newspaper.

Millions of people also smoke, that doesn't make it a good thing does it?

Can't help but notice you havn't taken notice of my reply Rich Kid. :)

A lot of people use drugs remember, does that make that a good thing?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What, the sword?
    No, finding the words 'truth' and 'Daily BlackMail' uttered in the same sentence.

It goes to prove beyond any doubt that you are on a wind-up mission.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Let me get this straight. Are you actually suggesting that a Jewish holocaust survivor could possibly be (1) a fascist, and, (2) lead a fascist party?

just like a bunch of Anarchistic animal rights activists can be. :rolleyes:

I don't think it was meant literally, just that he leans so far to the right that it boggles the mind.