Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fining bar staff

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    doesnt this just contradict the 24 hour opening hours people are talking about
  • Options
    not necessarily...what about someone who's been working late till 3 or 4am and they want to go to the pub for a drink...they aren't too drunk.
    But yea the government are trying to an extent to try and stop people sitting there drinking all day long and getting too drunk..what a way to do it..fine the bar staff..
  • Options
    Exactly, how can you tell someone is too drunk?! It is unfair to put this pressure on the bar staff making them worry everytime they go to serve a customer, that they may get fined for that.

I work in a club, were I do see people being taking out by our bouncers. But these are people that are soo drunk, they can't even sit on a chair properly. If everyone is refused drink by the time they get tipsy/drunk, the pub/club will be empty as they will be at home with a carry out. So it's not really going to make much difference by hoping it will stop people from binge drinking.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Obviously Klintock's argument is ludicruous, but that is exactly the point he is making. Purchasing alcohol should be a private agreement between the customer and the licensee/his delegate, and a matter of personal opinion should not be enforced by this means.

Of course, it goes to illustrate just how stupid those who think Labour, in any form, represent "looking after the poor". Because it'll be the poor (as always) who get screwed into the ground by yet another fixed penalty nightmare.

ETA: Interesting to note the FPNs to be issued to children caught purchasing alcohol. If you're a poor kid you will lose a FORTUNE, but if you are a rich child caught under-age drinking (let's, for argument's sake, choose Euan Blair as an example) it won't cost you anything. If my child was caught buying booze it'd cost me two day's work, whereas if the son of Lord Poncey-C.unt was caught it'd cost him two minutes' work.

I hate this Government. How can anyone seriously consider voting for them?

You'd rather the fascists Howard is command of?

eTA: I'm slightly drunk, don't flame me omg.
  • Options
    Generally speaking, I think the police have little or no business interfering in what will effectively put a massive UK industry in jeopardy.

There are two extremes to this. Either the staff will be put on so much pressure deciding whether or not someone is drunk, they will refuse sales much more often, and will eventually pubs and clubs will empty, or staff will be too lenient, they will be fined for crimes they didn't even realise they'd committed, and more and more staff will leave the industry.

As far as i'm concerned, it's about morals. It's not about whether someone is over a legally defined concentration of alcohol in their system. It's about how happy the salesperson feels about selling alcohol to this customer at this point in time. It's all relative.

In my store, the management team and I have a policy on alcohol sales that basically gives the operators and us supervisors the ultimate decision as to whether or not the sale is made, stopping them from interfering in the name of sales. Most people who have valid ID, we don't really care what they do. However, when we get young people who smell of drink, normally they're on their own, and are trying to top up their drunkeness, we refuse the sale, even if they have valid ID. Personally, I believe it's not about deciding whether a person is drunk, it's about deciding whether you feel happy about the idea of knowing you've given this person alcohol and whether or not you feel comfortable with that.
  • Options
    It's classic New labour tbh.

There is a concern that binge drinking is "ruining" some areas at the weekend (by providing the bulk of the cash or something) and some people want to see action on this issue. (5 or 6 busybodies worried that the odd smashed sign or fight is the end of western civilisation)

Labour wants to maintain the lovely tax income and has many many debts to pay off. The obvious solution is to bring in some sort of fine that hopefully won't actually scare off the revenue or change anything too much but will bring in extra pennies.

On the other hand this might bring the price of drink back up and they get more tax revenue that way. It's win win for the government even if it fails because they are being seen to do something just before the election. The only losers are (as usual) eveyone else concerne - the staff, the pubs, the drinkers and the police.
    I was serious about someone using that argument in court. In effect they are saying that there is a "duty of care" on pub landlords and staff to regulate people drinking. Ridiculous I know, but someone will do it and probably win. "Where theres blame theres a claim".
  • Options
    klintock, one thing you mentioned earlier, the fine is for the barstaff serving you, it is in no way corresponding to negating you from your responsibilities to act as normal as you can when you are under the influence of alcohol
  • Options
    i should bloody well think not.
  • Options
    I agree with you totally. It's completely insane that anyone other than myself is responsible for my actions. It's patronising and contrary to all common sense. Hence the government is firmly in favour of it.

I also have an idea how the legal system works and it will almost certainly be used as mitigating circumstances by some chancer. "I would never have dun it if I wasn't so drunk and they shouldn't have served me your honour." It's a pretty easy case to make too if the barstaff have already been fined.

As it will result in yet more work for the legal profession it'll probably happen.
    I always remember that these are the people who argue 500k payouts for wankers who fall through a factory roof while larking about and win.
  • Options
    so i keep hearing the question of "how do you define drunk", couldn't you use the same blood alcohol level as when someone is unable to drive (or maybe a little higher). Although i still don't like the idea of fining people for getting plastered, drunken people make the world go round.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I agree with you totally. It's completely insane that anyone other than myself is responsible for my actions. It's patronising and contrary to all common sense. Hence the government is firmly in favour of it.

I also have an idea how the legal system works and it will almost certainly be used as mitigating circumstances by some chancer. "I would never have dun it if I wasn't so drunk and they shouldn't have served me your honour." It's a pretty easy case to make too if the barstaff have already been fined.

As it will result in yet more work for the legal profession it'll probably happen.
    I always remember that these are the people who argue 500k payouts for wankers who fall through a factory roof while larking about and win.

yeh but if you hadnt started drinking in the first place
  • Options
    so i keep hearing the question of "how do you define drunk", couldn't you use the same blood alcohol level as when someone is unable to drive (or maybe a little higher). Although i still don't like the idea of fining people for getting plastered, drunken people make the world go round.

no more than 1 and half pints of weak bitter, or 1 pint of continenal lager on a nigh tout then, which really does sod all
  • Options
    Won't make a gnat's chuff of difference.

"If you weren't on the roof in the first place" just reduces the liability and the amount that gets paid out. You can go to work in a factory and if you put your fingers in a socket and blow your own arm off you will still get compensation if there is a fault with the plug.

It's utterly ludicrous I know but that's they way they work. :(
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    You'd rather the fascists Howard is command of?

I said I didn't understand how anyone could vote for the shower of shit masquerading as Labour.

Though to answer your question, I don't think Howard would be any worse. At least he victimises communities that ARE a problem.