Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nosy Mums...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think there's a distinction between a parent prying from a kid who's suspicious of his parents with something to hide and a parent / kid who trust each other and the parent does know what they're up to. Parents only want what's best for their children, why do so many kids and teenagers these days fail to see this?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Becaue alot of kids and teenagers have parents who would'nt like them drinking or smoking pot? TBH, I'd rahter my mum didn't like it, which I don't think she does, it shows she cares. Thing is, I am not a regular user, so I don't see the problem, I am not addicted. And come on, who, that is still living with parents, can honestly say they openly discuss things like sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll with their parents? Well, rock and roll yes. :p I don't go into conversation with what my favorite cocktail is or the likes with them. Its just one of those things I consider a "no-go" area. When I move out and am probably 20 or so, yes, then I shall.

I think my mum knows I drink now however. It is kind of obvious, and I put zilco effort into hiding the rum (Under a bleeing box, for christs sake.). Its one of those inevitable things, Kids over 16 drink booze now and again. Although, anyone who binge drinks shouldn't, whatever age. Some folks dont get "In Moderation".
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Becaue alot of kids and teenagers have parents who would'nt like them drinking or smoking pot? TBH, I'd rahter my mum didn't like it, which I don't think she does, it shows she cares. Thing is, I am not a regular user, so I don't see the problem, I am not addicted. And come on, who, that is still living with parents, can honestly say they openly discuss things like sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll with their parents? Well, rock and roll yes. :p I don't go into conversation with what my favorite cocktail is or the likes with them. Its just one of those things I consider a "no-go" area. When I move out and am probably 20 or so, yes, then I shall.

I think my mum knows I drink now however. It is kind of obvious, and I put zilco effort into hiding the rum (Under a bleeing box, for christs sake.). Its one of those inevitable things, Kids over 16 drink booze now and again. Although, anyone who binge drinks shouldn't, whatever age. Some folks dont get "In Moderation".

About your smoking and drinking - there's nothing especially wrong with that and if your mum knew she might not even mind that much. My sister smokes cigarrettes and whenever my mum catches she shouts at her and grounds her for a day, each time. (which is quite often, cos my sister doesn't realise she smokes the house out :p). But at the end of the day, my sister is only smoking due to peer pressure, and no intelligent person who is able to make a good decision starts smoking.

But anyway, back to you, my mum knows I go out and have beer with my mates, and she knows I am quite friendly with the girlfriend :p she never mentions it, but she knows, and if she thought I was getting too OTT with anything she can see the warning signals. I guess it just depends on what kind of parents you have - I think parents need to be understanding but should really know whats going on in their childrens lives. Some parents are control freaks which can just lead the kids to hide everything which gets them nowhere. I know so many teenagers that are half way to killing themselves either by cutting or by drinking or something - and to think some of these dont have their parents looking out for them. Friends are all well and good but as soon as you turn pale and collapse who's going to stick around and wait for the ambulance and who's going to bail.

You can practically guaruntee (unless they're retarded) your parents will stick around, they'll be in the ambulance with you, they're going to be with you in the hospital and there when you wake up. My mum keeps an eye out for me like no one else really does, so I don't really mind her knowing all my vices.
  • Options
    I'd be worried if my Mum nosied through my things. Seeming as she moved out 2 and a half years ago and we havent spoken since... :p

My Dad leaves me be. He doesn't touch my stuff and he doesn't ask questions. My dad = legend.
  • Options
    my mum does that look at the computer screen too! its so annoying. wat i find the worst thing is the other day i was going out but wen i got in the car i realised i forgot something and when i went in to get it i caught her in the act! she was in my room going thru my stuff...... i just think its so rude i dont go thru her things. mind u i will be 23 in may so yeah its out of order.
  • Options
    My Mum used to be nosey but cooled down after I'd moved out and back in. Now she can't be nosey cause I don't live with her anymore :)