Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How Young is Too Young?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:shocking: so i read a news report today (http://www.boulderweekly.com/archive/072502/waynesword.html) that reported that many of the former supporters of age-limited sex are now changing their minds. i would like some feed back to see if this is a growing trend or if it is just a selcted few individuals with money who are changing things around here.

Comments

• Options
    i dont really have an opinion on whether it should change.
    But countries who have lower age restrictions, seem to have a lower rate of teenage pregnancy etc
    Was reading the paper earlier and it said that 50% of 14 year old girls have had sex!! I thought that was quite shocking!!
  • Options
    it's only right really you should answer your own question first...
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I know of girls that have been having sex since 13, they to me were far too young. 15 Is young enough.
  • Options
    Well tonight we found out that my boyfriends 14 year old sister is having sex, and knowing her i think that she personally is too young. But considering one of her friends has been doing it since she was 13 :/

But i do think it differs from person to person.
  • Options
    I don't think they should bother with a law for this. I know that kicks up a fuss about a 40 odd year old then being allowed to sleep with a 12 year old but to be honest if someone is that sick anyway there going to do it regardless of the law. The reason i dont think there should be an age limit for sex is because people just dont listen to it, i first had sex at 15 and ive got to say the law didnt even cross my mind, youngsters are breaking so many laws these days- drinking, smoking etc- obviously this doesnt make it right but at least something is done about under age drinking etc, as in action is taken. If two people have underage sex chances are the law will never even know about it never mind take action, so why bother with a law at all?? I think it should be a personal choice- improve the sex education offered to children and then let them decide when they are ready.
  • Options
    i understand y there needs to be an age limit for classifying child rape etc. but im sure its in holland(my facts could be wrong) there isnt an actual age limit yet there isnt a problem with teen pregnncy etc. makes me wonder because there is a limit it is considered cool to do it before ur 16 but if there wasnt one then maybe that factor wouldnt be there. just my thoughts to add fuel to the debate x
  • Options
    Do you think some girls have sex so young because they're worried their boyfriends will leave them otherwise?

I've always thought that. It's probably crap though.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Do you think some girls have sex so young because they're worried their boyfriends will leave them otherwise? I've always thought that.
    Possibly. That and all the obsession with it that the media and society in general has must make them curious. I know I was, although that's not why I started having sex. It's made out to be some big thing, but when you lose your virginity for the right reasons, it doesn't seem like this big thing at all. It just seems natural.

Back on topic - the legal age at the moment is about right. I lost my virginity at 16 and even then I'm not sure I was 100% ready.
  • Options
    If you're asking you're too young.

Most teens having sex are too young, certainly until they are at least 17. They only realise it when they're 26 though.
  • Options
    Scarlet wrote:
    Possibly. That and all the obsession with it that the media and society in general has must make them curious. I know I was, although that's not why I started having sex. It's made out to be some big thing, but when you lose your virginity for the right reasons, it doesn't seem like this big thing at all. It just seems natural.

Back on topic - the legal age at the moment is about right. I lost my virginity at 16 and even then I'm not sure I was 100% ready.

I wasn't ready until I was 19. Actually, I got dumped when I was 16 for not having sex with my 14 year old girlfriend :eek2:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Most teens having sex are too young, certainly until they are at least 17. They only realise it when they're 26 though.

Absolutely, I felt the right age when I lost my virginity (nearly 16). Now I feel that I was too young and should have waited. Oh, the benefit of hindsight.... :banghead:
  • Options
    The high rates of teenage pregnancy are apparently linked to the increased rates in teenage drinking rather than the urge to have sex as such. If this is true then maybe we should be more strict on the drinking age limit rather than the sex age limit?
  • Options
    Cazzieee wrote:
    The high rates of teenage pregnancy are apparently linked to the increased rates in teenage drinking rather than the urge to have sex as such. If this is true then maybe we should be more strict on the drinking age limit rather than the sex age limit?

I see no reason not to raise the drinking limit to 21 and require all retailers to demand ID (we may as well stop one crime with a national ID card) for every purchase, even if the customer is thought to be over the drinking age.
  • Options
    Depends on the situation really. I was 15 when I first had sex and that was a girl that I had been going out with 9 months previous to that. However I would say that a 15 year old having casual sex is definately wrong

I think the age of consent should be hired to 18, though i don't suppose that it would actually make any difference
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Leave it at 16 or put it to 18.

When Russia, after the collapse, dropped the age to 16 to get rid of Soviet style regulations, they had ALOT of problems, so they raised it again. LEARN from others mistakes.

This is wrong.
  • Options
    I don't think stamping an age limit on sex does any good, I mean people are ready at different ages and different stages in thier lives. It should just depend on the individual and when theyre ready.
  • Options
    there needs to be an age limit because in some cases it does deter some individuals from losing it a hell of a lot earlier than the should- im talking years earlier.i know alot of 11 and 12 year olds who are scarily over-sexed, they aren't emotionally ready to do it though which to them isnt a factor...breaking the law to them is though. 16 is about right, but you will always get individuals not listening, just like you do with every law. sex education needs to be stepped up though in order to combat unsafe sex at a young age, which still seems to frequently happen unfortunately.
    ETA - alot of people think they are ready at the time, then it turns out they weren't. afterwards. so anything that encourages people to think even a tiny bit harder about what they are doing is good as far as im concerned.
  • Options
    I know that this won't apply to everyone, or even to many people, but when I was at school, the age of consent was almost seen as a limit by which you should have lost your virginity. I certainly believe that had the age of consent been higher, I would have waited. Of course, I'm only speaking for myself.
  • Options
    If there's grass on the pitch, lets play.
  • Options
    Cazzieee wrote:

And the USA, with its 21 age limit, isn't full fo teenage mums too, y'mean?

The reason why we have so many teenage pregnancies is cultural. if you're a girl stuck on a council estate you only have a baby to look forward to, so you might as well ahve one young and get a flat with it too.

Ambition is the biggest contraceptive.
  • Options
    I'm 18, my gf's 15 and we have sex, she's 16 in may. I still agree with the 16 age limit though, it's just in my situation I tihnk it's ok.

Do you ever feel as if you're manipulating and abusing a child?
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Do you ever feel as if you're manipulating and abusing a child?

That's a bit harsh. There is only 3a years age differnce and she would know if she is ready for sex or not.

How would you know if he is manipulating and abusing her?
  • Options
    That's a bit harsh. There is only 3 years in age differnce and she would know if she is ready for sex or not.

My mate was 22 when he met his girlfriend which was 17 at the time, can you say the same abou thim?

Ha! Got you before the edit.

No, I wouldn't liken the two situations. A seventeen year old girl , would be, in general more worldly wise and mature. A 15 year old girl could potentially be far more childlike, naive and vulnerable to an unscrupulous, perverted sex fiend like our Matt :p

I know I wouldn't have sex with a 15 year old, would you?
  • Options
    Well I'm nearly 24 so no. He is 18, just a kid him self.
  • Options
    Well I'm nearly 24 so no. He is 18, just a kid him self.

So you're saying their both children? How does that make it better?

Girls under 16 can be very child like and need protecting from themselves, from others who are equally naive and from those who know the meaning of their actions but lack morality. That's why we have a law. Isn't it?
  • Options
    When I was 12/13/14/15 I was more interested in pop music than sex.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    When I was 12/13/14/15 I was more interested in pop music than sex.

now its pop music and sex?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    now its pop music and sex?

Yeah suppose so :lol:.
  • Options
    I think the age limit is fine as it is. When I think about my lil sisters even contemplating sex it creeps me out. They are far to young!! Their 12 and 15 and its minging!
  • Options
    I feel that it should stay at 16. But in my eyes even 16 is to young. People seem to take sex for granted, whereas I feel that it's special and something you do with someone you truly love!! There is alot of emotion with it.