Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So how did you do on your GCSE'S (however old)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ummmm....

Gcses in 1997

1 A*
    5 As
    3 B
    1 C

Then A Levels

1 A
    2 B
    1 C

Then NVQ Retailing Distinction

Then BA Hons Sociology 2:1

Then NVQ Customer Care Distinction

Then PG Cert Personnel Management

Then PG Dip Personnel Management

not sure what next.....

What does everyone think of NVQs - having tried NVQs and traditional awards - i have to say that the NVQs were easier to get - maybe it was just the subjects i did them in though rather than cuz they were Nvqs? What does everyone else think?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    did mine in 2000, and got 3 - B, 3 - C, 2 - D, 2 - E
    not too bad, considering no revision, but certainly wouldnt recommend not doing any!!
    good luck to those who have to take GCSEs at mo, and any other exams, i know i need the luck lol!
  • Options
    Im a class of 1999: 8 A* to C

I quit music because my teacher was a phedo... No one took any notice of my cries untill he got caught with pictures at his house... He was fired shortly after, funkin bastard!! :impissed:
  • Options
    Hmmm. This was when I first became aware of the trashy nature (or very strange and unexpected and witch-like nature) of this country.

I could say I did around one twentieth as much work and revision for my GCSEs than I did for the internal school exams in the five years before, but really it was less and it is better to say I did nearly absolutely no work. I was sure I had failed nearly all of them.

I still don't understand. Actually, it gets painful as I grow older. It was fourteen years ago. I am 30 though I don't believe it. But, I am sure it is a joke. I got 7 As and 2 Bs. I would usually get straight As but, not that I would work for them, I would do the revision the night before and morning before each exam so I could get 73 percent or something. I did this always, except in the actual GCSEs where I found I was prevented from doing this.

I don't understand the marks. I have to tell myself regularly now, that it was a big mistake, especially as I come around with a reaction held in time which has been just popping up recently now.

In religion, for example, I handed in my official course work late and the information was that if it got marked at all, it should be downgraded by at least one or two grades. I did the bare minimum for course work and I reckoned it could only have got a C or if I had misjudged standards and things were a bit easier, maybe a B. Then I did not a jot of revision for the exam (why should I - this was my attitude - I was not religious though forced to take this exam if taking any) and couldn't reproduce any of the miracles, parables and the rest of it and so, very obviously, in fact incredibly and hysterically obviously, made them all up afresh by mismatching lots and adding new endings and whole new threads. So each answer would have had at most 10 to 15 percent correct. I didn't care about Religion, but I got a B.

And I still work out, after 14 years of mulling I could only have got an E if things were strangely, somehow nice to me and I was not to get an U. I remembered in my unavailable conscious much of the parables and miracles, and probably the rest of it, from hearing them as told to children (in an endlessly more adult fashion in fact) at primary school, and so I know, although I could not reproduce any of them, that every single description I gave was very, very wrong.

I made up 9 out of every 10 Beatitudes (I can't guess how many there are, and I fell for someone's statement that there are actually nearly a hundred before going in to the exam.) I didn't care. I made up anything else with a name I can't now think of and couldn't think of.

I don't understand.

I come from Northern Ireland and this is where I took the exams, though the examining board was English.

This was the worst, but most of the others were only a bit better, maybe one or two estimated grades, so I should have got Cs and Ds at best and maybe an occasional B. Oh and an A for music (whatever I wrote) which was so hysterical that it is the kind of thing you experience, everyone seeing it becoming aware that of any experience in one's life, you should not tell others of this. After 2 years of studying in detail the set works of great composers and some popular music writers as well, these just a few set by the examining board, a typical example of a question was the playing of a 10 to 12 second excerpt of the piece with the question:

"Identify this work you have studied. Is it: A Academic Festival Overture by Brahms, or B Hey Jude by the Beatles, or C Yesterday by the Beatles, or D William Byrd's Renaissance period Motet for four unaccompanied voices."

This was not only typical in the NISEAC GCSE, but not one of the easier questions.

Perhaps my confusion at the GCSEs I took is the perpetrator of my severe migraines which suddenly began at 28 and won't go away. I am not joking about any of this. And my migraine surfaces in the sheer confusion in just thinking of all this again, and moreso in seeing it in writing.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot. I actually sat 11. I started taking 12 in fourth year, but managed to throw off Art by fifth year, such was the dire, dire, direly trash nature of the school I went to. And then the Chemistry teaching was so, so, so, so, so, so utterly trash that I decided I wasn't going to take the rot, and just signed my name in the exam hall after years.

I did try for quite a few months in fourth year and as a straight A student prior to then, I expected to naturally do OK. But the teaching was so dire that I hardly went to lessons after a bit. I wrote my name, answered a few basic questions and received a grading which was an E though I don't consider I have actually "taken" GCSE Chemistry. And I kind of sat Additional Maths, though in each paper I left after an hour, having given this up months and months before due to something I was going to call dire, dire, dire teaching but is more likely to be dire, dire, dire existing by the "teacher". It was still dire teaching though. But I was registered for the exams during the year and the dire teacher told me with a smile that I'd have to pay the school 20 or 30 or 40 pounds or something which was the board's fee to pull out - or go in and sign my name.

It must be quite some feat to make a detatched, very private, perhaps socially uninvolved and uncaring, but keen 14 year drop out of 3 subjects he was enthusiastically looking forward to studying. ACtually this school was so bad that this described task sounds like a Medal of Merit of Our Lady or something. It was at 13 or 14 that I and others learned to spend periods without being missed with an excuse of having "music" hiding in the school. This extended to days, and then weeks at a time, and then periods of weeks quite regularly each term with extra days and periods each week in my third fourth and fifth year. If I hadn't done this I would have surely died.

Nine and ten year olds: Avoid St. Mary's Grammar School, Belfast if you get half a chance. It was the very worst ***hole in the world. I can't think that they could claim to be used to students like me as my primary school, one of the biggest "feeders" submitted to them what the approaching elderly vice principal described as the best report she had ever seen.

It is funny, I wouldn't have thought of it abstractly, but in an unusual regional system within a country with a predominantly different system, but on the whole a market governed country, an independent, selective school which can exist largely from the government scholarships based on examination merit paying fees to private grammar schools on an individual scholarship basis, the lord of the flies can land, settle and prosper as an educational company called a school. I fancy a long gin.
  • Options
    1 A*, 3 A, 3 B, 2 C, 1 D.

Doing AS levels this year.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does everyone in England do a lot better than in scotland? You guys take 10 gcses, and we only take 8 standard grades, which are the same level. I then did 5 highers (as levels) and now am doing three advanced highers (a2 level) and an extra higher. How many A-Levels is the norm?
  • Options
    i think 3 A-levels is the norm.. i did 5 AS levels (one was general studies and we had to do either that or critical thinking) then we could drop that and one other subject. although there were some people that ended up with 4/5 A-levels having chosen to carry them all on.

anyway-
    gcses: 3 A*, 7 B
    AS-level- 5 A
    A-Level- 3 A
  • Options
    6A*, 6A at GCSE in 2002
    5 A at AS
    3 A at A2
  • Options
    English Language (A)
    English Literature (A)
    Media Studies (A)
    Business Studies (B)
    Geography (B)
    History (B)
    Maths (B)
    Sociology (B)

Took Sociology in 2000 and the others in 2001 :)
  • Options
    I'm sitting my GCSEs at the moment. I was away from school in year 10 so I'm hoping for Cs. I'l update you when I know my results!
  • Options
    Exams taken in 2003 for GCSE (having to drag certificates out in order to send copies to uni!)

A* x2
    A x5
    B x2
    C x1

And at AS:

A for Drama and Theatre Studies
    B's for Performance Studies and Psychology
    C for English Literature

Am currently revising heftly for A2 exams starting next week..!!!
  • Options
    Art - A*
    Engish lit - D
    English lang - C
    IT - C/C
    Science - C/C
    R.E - E
    French - D
    Maths - C
    Graphics - C

and i am currently doing a BTEC national diploma in fine art, which i finish in two weeks, in october im going to start a BH(hons)degree in fine art at lincoln uni - Can you guess what my strongest subject is? lol
  • Options
    Did my GCSE's in 1999...5 A*'s, 4 A's and a B...

A-levels in 2001...an A and 3 B's

Then graduated from uni last year with a 2:1...by the end i was fed up with essays etc...but now i feel like my brain is shrivelling...would like to do something else soon!!...madness! :chin:
  • Options