Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If we were invaded......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dunno if this shud go here or if its been dun. My first post in these parts .... be nice.

Anyway just been thinking recently, i know this wud never happen, but lets just turn the tables a little. If Britain was invaded say by a superior force, just for examples sake lets say the Russians (yes i know there not superior, just an example) wud u join and fight for or support sum sort of rebel force or wud u just sit and let the invasion and occupation take its place.

To answer my own question: probably not cos im not that kinda person. But dunno.

Just be thinking bout these things, especially with all this Iraq business and what drives these people to join the insurgency etc.

Anyway, soz if this is a weird post. :)

Comments

• Options
    Highly recommend tracking down a copy of the 1960's (ish) British movie called 'It happened here' - a great piece of film making that takes a look at what life could have been like if the nazis had invaded the UK
  • Options
    Oh and I'd like to think I'd help resist but reality is never so simple
  • Options
    I don't think i could ever fight because I'm scared of getting hurt. :( :nervous:
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Dunno if this shud go here or if its been dun. My first post in these parts .... be nice.

Anyway just been thinking recently, i know this wud never happen, but lets just turn the tables a little. If Britain was invaded say by a superior force, just for examples sake lets say the Russians (yes i know there not superior, just an example) wud u join and fight for or support sum sort of rebel force or wud u just sit and let the invasion and occupation take its place.

To answer my own question: probably not cos im not that kinda person. But dunno.

Just be thinking bout these things, especially with all this Iraq business and what drives these people to join the insurgency etc.

Anyway, soz if this is a weird post. :)
    you will get hung for txt talk!..round these parts :)
    there would be a civil revolt,just like in iraq.
  • Options
    Well thats it, im not a violent person and its easy to say "oh i'd help resist easy", but wen ur in tht situation, i dunno sum people cud cope with it and sum cudnt.
  • Options
    i would fight to the death!...just like people did in world war 2,for us!
  • Options
    There's plenty of alternative histories on German invasions of the UK of which IMHO the best is Len Deighton's 'SS-GB'. A good film is 'Went the Day Well'.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    IMHO the best is Len Deighton's 'SS-GB'.

:thumb:
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Well thats it, im not a violent person and its easy to say "oh i'd help resist easy", but wen ur in tht situation, i dunno sum people cud cope with it and sum cudnt.

Have the courtesy of using real words plsthx

But in answer, yes I would fight. How could I ever look my children in the eyes again if I didn't defend their future?
  • Options
    I would fight for something worth defending.

These days I'm not so sure we have that...
  • Options
    Hmmm, a small island with no natural resources worth speaking of, and 60 million people.

I don't think its going to happen .......

The threat is more likely to come from our own ruling class - and the way things are, there won't be a lot of resistance, whatever they do.

:grump:
  • Options
    Hmmm, a small island with no natural resources worth speaking of, and 60 million people.

I don't think its going to happen .......

The threat is more likely to come from our own ruling class - and the way things are, there won't be a lot of resistance, whatever they do.

:grump:

I think the question is hypothetical. But you also ignore attempts have made to invade before. There are still people around who remember the last attempt.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I think the question is hypothetical. But you also ignore attempts have made to invade before. There are still people around who remember the last attempt.
    Yes, indeed.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Was that not after we went to war though?
  • Options

It was. But the original question didn't say whether the invasion was following a prolonged period of hostilities, in which for arguments sake, Germany has been reduced to a gas filled, radioactive wasteland and the final home to many of the British Army. In that case the only defence of the UK may be some sort of Home Guard, a few survivors from some Dunkirk type evacuation and any civilians who care to fight.

And whilst its unlikely that we'll eb invaded naytime soon history teaches us that threats can come up quickly (in relative terms). As late as the 1930's British Defence spending was based on us not fighting a major war within the next ten years.
  • Options
    Mmm... and your point is what? That we should not have gone to war with Nazi Germany?
  • Options
    i'm fighting already.
    with my chickens and my veg.
    with my insistence on buying as much second hand stuff as possible ...you may laugh ...but i am fighting already ...i'm streets ahead man!
  • Options
    juanito wrote:
    Mmm... and your point is what? That we should not have gone to war with Nazi Germany?

Explain exactly how you reached that conclusion please. I'm fascinated.....
  • Options
    Explain exactly how you reached that conclusion please. I'm fascinated.....
    Can't you recognise questions, dear?
  • Options
    Personally I think it would depend on the circumstances, as to why they were invading us. For example if the war on terror or something backfired and they started to attack us because of the Western world always attacking them (assuming they're eastern) with their little 'moral conquests' and hypocricy, I wouldn't fight.

However, in the event of a new fascist dictator I would probably go for defending my country doing what I can... That is defending the innocent, the comman man, woman and children.
  • Options
    juanito wrote:
    Can't you recognise questions, dear?

Why are you calling me dear?

That was a question!

My point was that the attempt to invade Britain was after Britain had gone to war.

I don't see how that lead you to conclude that I was suggesting that Britain shouldn't have fought the Nazis.

Which is why I asked you to explain how you got there.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I would fight for something worth defending.

These days I'm not so sure we have that...
    oh dear ...i would suggest you wake up.
    turn on your tap and drink ...stop looking at the few problems we amazingly rich people have and ...count your blessings.

take a look around you ...

comfort? ease? leisure? stability?

there are many things wrong in this world but ...i know if it cme down to it ...you would all mostly fight for what we have ...how do i know?
    cos your all doing it every day already ...at the expense of the worlds hungry and troubled masses.

the play station generation ...
  • Options
    My point was that the attempt to invade Britain was after Britain had gone to war.
    It's fair to assume that everyone knows what the circumstances were, yet you bothered to point out (by means of a rhetorical question) that this was after Britain had gone to war.

Clear the matter up. Just tell us what your view is of the Allies' fight against the Axis powers. Pro-Allies? Y/N
  • Options
    Personally I think it would depend on the circumstances, as to why they were invading us. For example if the war on terror or something backfired and they started to attack us because of the Western world always attacking them (assuming they're eastern) with their little 'moral conquests' and hypocricy, I wouldn't fight.

However, in the event of a new fascist dictator I would probably go for defending my country doing what I can... That is defending the innocent, the comman man, woman and children.
    oh 'eck!
  • Options
    i would sit back and eat cheese on crumpets, and sip earl grey
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i would sit back and eat cheese on crumpets, and sip earl grey
    fuckin ell!....earl grey?
  • Options
    juanito wrote:
    It's fair to assume that everyone knows what the circumstances were, yet you bothered to point out (by means of a rhetorical question) that this was after Britain had gone to war.

Clear the matter up. Just tell us what your view is of the Allies' fight against the Axis powers. Pro-Allies? Y/N

Queen Victoria,
    I am cold and rainy,
    I am dirty as a glass roof in a train station,
    I feel like an empty cast iron exhibition,
    I want ornaments on everything,
    because my love, she gone with other boys.
  • Options
    Queen Victoria,
    I am cold and rainy,
    I am dirty as a glass roof in a train station,
    I feel like an empty cast iron exhibition,
    I want ornaments on everything,
    because my love, she gone with other boys.
    Cut down on the drug intake.
  • Options
    juanito wrote:
    Cut down on the drug intake.

Queen Victoria,
    do you have a punishment under the white lace,
    will you be short with her, will you make her read those little Bibles,
    will you spank her with a mechanical corset.
    I want her pure as power, I want her skin slightly musty with petticoats
    will you wash the easy bidet out of her head?

Personally I think it was more to do with madness with drugs....
  • Options
    oh dear ...i would suggest you wake up.
    turn on your tap and drink ...stop looking at the few problems we amazingly rich people have and ...count your blessings.

take a look around you ...

comfort? ease? leisure? stability?

there are many things wrong in this world but ...i know if it cme down to it ...you would all mostly fight for what we have ...how do i know?
    cos your all doing it every day already ...at the expense of the worlds hungry and troubled masses.

the play station generation ...
    Ouch.

Depends who's attacking and what they're offering. I am open to offers. ;)