Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tories - I think that title is condemning enough.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A quote from Andrew Rosindell, a local Tory MP...

"No more political correctness."

Oh good, now I can stop having to say 'black people' when I mean '******s'. :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    A quote from Andrew Rosindell, a local Tory MP...

"No more political correctness."

Oh good, now I can stop having to say 'black people' when I mean '******s'. :banghead:

Political correctness is stupid, end of story.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Shut up, moron.

If you don't know how to have an adult debate you should not try, because often your comments give the impression you are a 6 year old. Seriously.

back to the topic: I think that political correctness is a fine line - if we weren't always saying what's politically correct and incorrect then people probably wouldn't be so offended. But then again, it's important to know when someone has made insulting, derogatory or upsetting comments.
  • Options
    back to the topic: I think that political correctness is a fine line - if we weren't always saying what's politically correct and incorrect then people probably wouldn't be so offended. But then again, it's important to know when someone has made insulting, derogatory or upsetting comments.

Yes, for instance, it's important not to be racist. But its not THAT important, there are far worse things in life. People are obsessed with racism and it is accorded more importance that it should be.
  • Options
    Political correctness is stupid, end of story.

What exactly is political correctness then?
  • Options
    When people make such an effort to be inoffensive that they forget about common sense, often creating a worse situation than originally existed.

Crap definition but I can't think how to define it succinctly.
  • Options
    I think the person in the first post tried to use the word n-i-g-g-e-r, on the basis that "political correctness" meant that they couldn't.

Shwoing respect for another culture isn't really that bad is it?

Just because right-wing elements in this country cannot do that, they label the whole concept as moronic.
  • Options
    Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm all for showing people of all cultures respect.

But surely you agree that political correctness has been taken too far by many?
  • Options
    No it hasn't.

Political Correctness is a right wing label to defend their continued offensive nature.

There are some in this country who show their lack of respect by taking offence on behalf of another culture/gender/sexual orientation. To me that is just as bad.
  • Options

Political Correctness is a right wing label to defend their continued offensive nature.

Don't agree. Some people with offensive views may try to hide behind the political correctness excuse but it doesn't work very well.

Ever read "The Week"? It's hardly what one might call a right-wing publication, but they have a weekly section entitled PC Britain which lists some new stupidity carried out in the name of political correctness.
  • Options
    Ever read "The Week"? It's hardly what one might call a right-wing publication, but they have a weekly section entitled PC Britain which lists some new stupidity carried out in the name of political correctness.

It's not done in the name of "political correctness", as I have just tried to explain, that is a right-wing label.

It is being done in an attempt to show respect and is with the best of intentions, sadly it is just as offensive at times.
  • Options
    Tip. Never take anything Rozzer says seriously. He's a nice bloke, but he can be a right twat. Did you ever see him making an arse of himself on QT?

I wonder why he's even an MP actually, he looks more like a gameshow host than anything else. It's all cliches and catchphrases with him, and no substance.
  • Options
    There are some cases of PC (whatever that is really) becoming just silly, but they are few and far between.

The DDA does get a little stupid for example but most of its actions are really good.
  • Options
    A few cases might be silly. The immense majority of cases reported as 'pc' by the tories or the right wing press are not.

Hell, they can't even tell the difference between compensation culture and political correctness. Often you will hear about people making absurd claims for compensation being described as ''political correctness gone maaaaaaaaad!''.
  • Options
    Another fantastic move by the government there, remove legal aid, replace it with ambulance chasing lawyers and hay presto a new industry is born!
  • Options
    basically the bigger problem is not political correctness, or falling short of it

its the political correctness police, they themselves rarely relate to any of the comments that are made, yet they kick up the bigger fuss
  • Options
    Who are the political correctness police? (no, its not a Frank Zappa song)
  • Options
    those who go on crusades to clean up anything they can see within viewing distance

especially when what has been done or said doesnt relate to them

while what im about to say is just my take on things, ive thought it through a few times and its not that stupid, usually you dont choose what to be offended by, or what ofends you, it just happens, and happens differently with different people

the PC seem to go through and choose what offends them, and usually is the cases they can kick up the bigegst stir about
  • Options
    What a stupid thread. What the hell does all this have to do with the Conservatives? They gave into "political correctness", as it's defined here years ago.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    those who go on crusades to clean up anything they can see within viewing distance

especially when what has been done or said doesnt relate to them

while what im about to say is just my take on things, ive thought it through a few times and its not that stupid, usually you dont choose what to be offended by, or what ofends you, it just happens, and happens differently with different people

the PC seem to go through and choose what offends them, and usually is the cases they can kick up the bigegst stir about

Who are they? Examples?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who are they? Examples?
    I don't think there is any PC police, as such. There just seem to be individuals out there with very odd views about the world, saying we must not offend others. We apparently have freedom of speech in this country, the right to offend is pivotal to that.
  • Options
    The "anti-PC" argument seems to boil down to the right of people to use racist language.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The "anti-PC" argument seems to boil down to the right of people to use racist language.
    Unfortunately, there is that side to it. Personally, I think people should be allowed to say what they like with the only limits being on that which incites violence or racial hatred.
  • Options
    no i think he means things such as words like "accident blackspot" not being allowed to be used, school plays not being allowed to be recorded etc. I dont really think its racist language imo

Its the "PC Police" who campaign for these sort of things.

They are usually white middle class liberals as well my experience.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    no i think he means things such as words like "accident blackspot" not being allowed to be used, school plays not being allowed to be recorded etc. I dont really think its racist language imo
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    no i think he means things such as words like "accident blackspot" not being allowed to be used

Who doesn't allow it? I heard someone use that term on the radio the other week. What evidence have you got that it is banned?
    Tommo100 wrote:
    school plays not being allowed to be recorded etc.

This is to do with the tabloids whipping up hysteria to do with paedophilia. What has that to do with "PC"?
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I dont really think its racist language imo

No, its about people like you spreding myths.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Its the "PC Police" who campaign for these sort of things.

Yeah, but who are these people? I want names goddamit! :mad:
    Tommo100 wrote:
    They are usually white middle class liberals as well my experience.

There is an argument about Liberals tending to think that we can address problems through how language is used rather than looking at the fundamental economic and political structures, yes. But I don't think this is what you were getting at is it?
  • Options
    I cannot believe you managed to get 5 questions out of that, still better than ur usual one post wonders :D

anway.....

Accident Blackspot - My Uncle is a copper and they have been dis-couraged to use the term in thier filing reports, Im pretty sure you are still alowed to use it on the radio.

Pedos - agreed - though I was just trying to use examples off the top of my head.
    "No, its about people like you spreding myths"
    -

Bullshit boy, Dont try and accuse everyone to the right of you about spreading myths, asylum seekers, PCness, immigration, believe it or not we dont spread myths all day like you claim, we live with it day to day.

I wasnt even allowed to say halfcast in a police interview once, I had to write is a mixed race, how pathetic is that?
    Yeah, but who are these people? I want names goddamit!

CRE Id say main culprits, Red Ken does his fair share, you yourself appear to be a wannabe
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I wasnt even allowed to say halfcast in a police interview once, I had to write is a mixed race, how pathetic is that?
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    what? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We dont all live in Brixton ya know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    what? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We dont all live in Brixton ya know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Halfcast is a term that many people find offensive, because of the conotations of the word, it implies 'half baked' etc. Now of course you will roll your eyes and suggest this is PC gone mad, but it is a genuinely offensive term.
  • Options
    Well in that case I apologise.

I seriously had no idea it was an offensive term, It certainly isnt viewed as one by anyone Ive ever came across where I live.