Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tories - I think that title is condemning enough.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Accident Blackspot - My Uncle is a copper and they have been dis-couraged to use the term in thier filing reports, Im pretty sure you are still alowed to use it on the radio.

So its discouraged now rather than not being allowed? Make your mind up. Anyhow, this would be an example of addressing langauge rather than addressing the underlying organisation.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Bullshit boy,

I'm a good few years older than you, child.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Dont try and accuse everyone to the right of you about spreading myths, asylum seekers, PCness, immigration, believe it or not we dont spread myths all day like you claim, we live with it day to day.

But you are though. People aren't banned from saying "accident blackspot". You're spreading misinformation to suit your views.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I wasnt even allowed to say halfcast in a police interview once, I had to write is a mixed race, how pathetic is that?

So its pathetic because you can't use a term that is offensive to the majority of mixed race people? i think I rest my case. You just want the right to use racist language.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    CRE Id say main culprits, Red Ken does his fair share, you yourself appear to be a wannabe

I have problems with the CRE, but again, I'd guess not for the same reasons as you. And care to explain exactly why I'm the same as the CRE? With examples?
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Well in that case I apologise.

I seriously had no idea it was an offensive term, It certainly isnt viewed as one by anyone Ive ever came across where I live.

You see, this is where the whole PC gone mad thing comes about, misunderstandings.

Halfcast isnt a term you should really use, same as many of the other slang terms for black peope.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    what? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We dont all live in Brixton ya know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cock
    Blagsta wrote:
    cock

Calm down, the kid didnt know, granted he's not being hugely tackful about it but theres no need for that.
    Blagsta wrote:
    So its pathetic because you can't use a term that is offensive to the majority of mixed race people?

I disagree with this, it's just normal usage in a hell of a lot of places and anyone I've known hasn't been offended by it. That's only my personal experience, but if it was that offensive im sure ive had heard once somewhere somebody telling the person that it was indeed offensive, rather than just continuing having a conversation with them.
    I disagree with this, it's just normal usage in a hell of a lot of places and anyone I've known hasn't been offended by it. That's only my personal experience, but if it was that offensive im sure ive had heard once somewhere somebody telling the person that it was indeed offensive, rather than just continuing having a conversation with them.

See my explanation.

Same here, Im from the same part of the world as you though so I guess "halfcast" is a lot more offensive in London than is it north of Watford. Must remember I suppose. ;)

cock

Oh dear oh dear, you were warned abut abuse yesterday werent you by a mod? Hope you've got some front though and not another behind the screen "keyboard warrior"
    Halfcast isnt a term you should really use, same as many of the other slang terms for black peope.

I honestly didnt know halfcast was one, which is strange as I spent 5 years on the midlands amatuer boxing circuit where about 35-40% of the people I met were non-white. Im pretty sure its more of a southern thing to be offended by it than up here as I sure someone would have pulled me up on it in 5 years. :cool:
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I honestly didnt know halfcast was one, which is strange as I spent 5 years on the midlands amatuer boxing circuit where about 35-40% of the people I met were non-white. Im pretty sure its more of a southern thing to be offended by it than up here as I sure someone would have pulled me up on it in 5 years. :cool:

:yes: I live in Leicester and although there is a proportionally high amount of people who are non-white or have a different ethnic origin I have nevermet anybody offended by the term. It also depends on the term, if I called someone 'black scum' then that is obviously racist, and to a degree the word 'black' becomes racist, because without that word that is just an insulting remark, not a racist one.
    I agree :)
    bongbudda wrote:
    Calm down, the kid didnt know, granted he's not being hugely tackful about it but theres no need for that.

The comment about not living in Brixton was the comment of a cock.

I've never heard it being used, and any mixed race person I've ever discussed it with thinks that it is an offensive term.
    fairynuff Im a cock. :wave:
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Same here, Im from the same part of the world as you though so I guess "halfcast" is a lot more offensive in London than is it north of Watford. Must remember I suppose. ;)

I spent 10 years living in Birmingham and it was an offensive word there too.

Tommo100 wrote:
    Oh dear oh dear, you were warned abut abuse yesterday werent you by a mod? Hope you've got some front though and not another behind the screen "keyboard warrior"

I was warned for telling someone to foad. Cock is fairly mild in comparison. And yes, I would call you that to your face if you were being one in my company.
    Tommo100 wrote:

As I said - I spent 10 years living in Birmingham (and another 2 in Sheffield), so, no, its not a southern thing.
    Blagsta wrote:
    As I said - I spent 10 years living in Birmingham (and another 2 in Sheffield), so, no, its not a southern thing.

Not meaning to sound offensive but you are just the one person, perhaps by some chance you've just met easily offended people? Again, I don't mean to cause offence or imply you have little life experience, on the contrary i beleive you'd seen a lot of people. But me and tommo do seem to have very similar perspectives on the matter :/ and I know I'm not trying to be argumentative, I've honestly never met anyone offended by it.
    Maybe they are offended by it, but can't be arsed to mention it?
    I live in Birmingham and it's a common term, used by many mixed race people themselves. I used to go out with a guy who would say he was "half caste".

I understand the explanation behind why some people may be offended by the term, and I don't ue it myself, but when kids all over the country say it, without any intention at all of being offensive, there is no need to jump on them and scream racist.
    Its like many terms though isnt it, if it is used amoung the community like nig*** is then there is no intended message behind it.

However, it is certainly a term which you should watch when and if you say it.
    I live in Birmingham and it's a common term

Its a very common term, dont fall for the bullshit blagsta is saying, Im starting to wonder whether he has lived elsewhere when he says "everyone" was offended by it when everybody else on this board says no one is offended by it. Pathetic. :yuck:
    I was warned for telling someone to foad. Cock is fairly mild in comparison. And yes, I would call you that to your face if you were being one in my company.

You might, but you would be looking at me from the floor about 5 secs after (if you're lucky that is as well)
    Tommo100 wrote:
    You might, but you would be looking at me from the floor about 5 secs after (if you're lucky that is as well)

Is this going to be a regular thing? Threats of violence? It's kinda dull already and you made less than 100 posts...
    I didnt threaten, I just told him what was going to happen.
    You da big man.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Its a very common term, dont fall for the bullshit blagsta is saying, Im starting to wonder whether he has lived elsewhere when he says "everyone" was offended by it when everybody else on this board says no one is offended by it. Pathetic. :yuck:

Errrmmm...where did I say "everyone" was offended by it? I said that the mixed race people I'd spoken to were offended by it and it is (as bongbuddha says) generally known as an offensive term. I doubt that everyone is offended though, or maybe the people you use it around are offended but can't be arsed to correct you and privately think you're a cock. It wouldn't surprise me.
    And fyi I lived in Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook and Moseley for 10 years and in Whitmore Reans in Wolverhampton for nearly a year. Where do you live?
    Tommo100 wrote:

Pathetic. People who posture over bulletin boards are usually effete ineffectual wankers ime.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    I didnt threaten, I just told him what was going to happen.

cock
    bongbudda wrote:
    Halfcast is a term that many people find offensive, because of the conotations of the word, it implies 'half baked' etc. Now of course you will roll your eyes and suggest this is PC gone mad, but it is a genuinely offensive term.

which everyone i know doesnt find offensive, thus it is okay to say it....

if im not saying it in a bad way, why shouldnt i be allowed to say it, my best mate is half cast, nothing wrong in that, his parents use it, everyone uses it

and for a police interview, well thats the way these days, they cant be seen to offend anyone whatsoever, not even the criminals :banghead:
    which everyone i know doesnt find offensive, thus it is okay to say it....

if im not saying it in a bad way, why shouldnt i be allowed to say it, my best mate is half cast, nothing wrong in that, his parents use it, everyone uses it

and for a police interview, well thats the way these days, they cant be seen to offend anyone whatsoever, not even the criminals :banghead:

Some people arent offended by nig*** so surely by your logic its ok to use it?

And whether you like it or not criminals are still people and the police using words they know to be offensive isnt exactly going to help is it.
    Like everything else, its about context. If your mate uses it and you use it and no one is offended, then all well and good. But appreciate that some people might find it offensive in some situations and that you may well get a smack in the face if you use it in the wrong situation. Its like I might tell tasteless jokes down the pub to my mates, but I wouldn't to my mum.
  • DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    "Political correctness is a concept invented by hard-right forces to defend their right to be racist, to treat women in a degrading way and to be truly vile about gay people. They invent this idea of people who are politically correct, with a rigid, monstrous attitude to life so they can attack them. But we have all had to learn to modify our language. That's all part of being a decent human being." - Claire Short, as quoted on this board many moons ago.

Yes, sometimes it does feel like we're going round in circles.
    Hello stranger, too important for us these days?

ETA: It's not often that I find myself agreeing with Clare Short... :eek:
  • DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    Hello stranger, too important for us these days?

Too busy more like it.

But it doesn't mean I'm not watching you all.

Especially you.

So watch it.
    Dom wrote:
    But it doesn't mean I'm not watching you all.
    Big brother and political correctness in one thread. :nervous: