Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

makeup - what do you use?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Foundation
Eyeliner

Which of the above to you use? EDIT: I mean brands!!!

The reason I ask is I can't get a foundation that doesn't look like I'm caked in makeup so I use No. 7 tinted mouisturiser but it doesn't cover well enough when I want to go on a proper night out - only good for day wear.

Eyeliner - I used to use a certain L'Oreal one but they stopped making it and their replacement isn't as soft so it doesn't go on easily!
I was also hoping people wouldn't mind posting some close up pics of their eyeliner 'cos I'm nosy / looking for new ways to do it.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    for night use liquid foundation then go over with powder foundation.....sorry dont wear eyeliner
  • Options
    For night I use max factor pan stick which is quite heavy and creamy.

Pencil eyeliner always smudges on me, but I either use a liquid one (maybelline) thinly, with a little flick at the end, or a coloured pencil on my lower lid, with no eyeshadow, just mascara.
  • Options
    for night use liquid foundation then go over with powder foundation.....sorry dont wear eyeliner

I'm really hoping people could mention some brands perhaps?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I'm really hoping people could mention some brands perhaps?

If you have money to burn, I have about 3 friends who swear by one of the Yves Saint Lauren foundations. Its about £20-25 though.
  • Options
    i don't wear foundation, usually, cause my face is a bit stressy, but i wear a lightweight bourjois (sp?) one sometimes to go out at night. not all over my face though, only on the slightly dodge bits.

i use loads of different brands of eyeliner - rimmel, maybelline, boots (17, no7, botanics and natural collection) and an NYC fat one (never heard of that brand before, but they sell them in asda, and they're really nice (and cheap!).

i'll post pics when i get home if i can commission a photographer - i know you'll appreciate staring into my eyes :p
  • Options
    I use 17 Get Even liquid foundation, I like it - and it's cheaper than most at around £4.50. I also use their eyeliner... but I don't wear that a lot because I wear specs and you cant really get the full effect unless I wear my contacts.

I may do up-close photos in a while... :p
  • Options
    I have never used foundation, eyeshadow, colour. i think you should use foundation only if you need it cos it aint good for the pores etc.

Most days I use cocoa butter/astral on face then a bit of mascara and vasaline or lipgloss, lipstick if I want to go up a notch.

I have good skin and its nice to just go out without having to put on makeup.
  • Options
    17 Lighten Up Foundation - you only need a really teeny bit so it lasts ages. If it looks like you are caked in make up maybe you are using the wrong shade?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Foundation
    Eyeliner

Which of the above to you use? EDIT: I mean brands!!!

The reason I ask is I can't get a foundation that doesn't look like I'm caked in makeup so I use No. 7 tinted mouisturiser but it doesn't cover well enough when I want to go on a proper night out - only good for day wear.

Eyeliner - I used to use a certain L'Oreal one but they stopped making it and their replacement isn't as soft so it doesn't go on easily!
    I was also hoping people wouldn't mind posting some close up pics of their eyeliner 'cos I'm nosy / looking for new ways to do it.

Cheers :)
    Ok, went off the topic a bit. The mascara I do use is one-by-one; Maybeline. Really gets the lashes up.
  • Options
    I use Max Factor colour adapt which I think is really good, best foundation I've ever had. As for eyeliner I tend to use Rimmel Special eyes.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm a MAC girl myself. I've used MAC foundation for about 4 years now, and my mates have always commented on how I don't look as though I'm wearing foundation.

It's not cheap, but it does its job. It's really light, but the coverage is awesome.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I use 17 Get Even liquid foundation, I like it - and it's cheaper than most at around £4.50. I also use their eyeliner... but I don't wear that a lot because I wear specs and you cant really get the full effect unless I wear my contacts.

I may do up-close photos in a while... :p

Same here for foundation.

Eye liners I use most brands of pencil ones. Can't use liquid eyeliners cos even the ones for sensitive eyes cause me problems.
  • Options
    For foundation I either use Rimmel lasting finish in ivory or collection 2000 sheer finish 3 in 1 makeup. the collection 2000 one is one that goes on as a pressed powder but you can wet the sponge if you want extra coverage. I use that one in number 2 which is `sheer sand`.
    For eyeliner I use collection 2000 again, because its nice and soft and its a twisty pencil rather than one you have to sharpen. I specifically got it for this reason because i was fed up of getting tiny bits of wood shavings in my eye.
    For mascara I like maybelline great lash, or rimmels extra superlash.
    For eyeshadow I like borgeouis(sp?) Its more expensive than id like but it just seems really nice and better coverage than the cheaper ones.

Most of my makeup is C2000 or Rimmel. I dont like spending a lot on just one piece of makeup.
  • Options
    Foundation - No7 inteligent colour foundation, I use the light one it only comes in three shades but is good.
    Eyeliner - Clarins- black
  • Options
    I use a foundation from Avon.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I use a foundation from Avon.
    Ditto, I use Avons Incredible Finish foundation in Porcelain Beige.
  • Options
    Foundation: Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil Free.
    Eyeliner: I have a few. I just use the bog standard pencil ones :D
  • Options
    I've heard the new maybelline foundation is fab. I haven't got it but Armani's luminous silk foundation is meant to be the holy grail, but a bit pricey.

I use MACs tinted moisturiser if I need a bit of colour
  • Options
    i use maybelline wonder finish foundation which is quite good. Dont really wear eyeliner but my friend uses yves saint lauren one which is really good.
  • Options
    Foundation: (Well more of just a concealer as I don't wear Foundation) No. 7 Instant Radiance Concealer - Best thing I ever bought as it helps cover up my dark circles under my eyes.

Eyeliner: Max Factor, KOHL Pencil - It's ok. Prefered my last one, but forget what it was.

Mascara: Rimmel Clear Lash Seperating Comb Mascara - Best thing I ever bought.
  • Options
    I use Maybelline Wonder Finish foundation and I love it. I know exactly what you mean about the caking thing, but I haven't had kind of problem with this since I discovered it.

I second this...I have been using it for months, it's not heavy yet it covers up my blushing tendencies thank god. It's not expensive either.

As for eyeliner I never go anywhere without my black liquid eyeliner...it is by Laura Paige (I think) but I just get it at the local chemist. It's really good and very cheap, better than other more expensive brands I've tried :)
  • Options
    i use maybelline everfresh make up foundation and virgin vie eye definer in black velvet and if i'm gfoing out i might use a bit of rimmel exaggerate liquid eyeliner...

and how do u post pics?
  • Options
    I use Maybelline Wonder Finish foundation and I love it. I know exactly what you mean about the caking thing, but I haven't had kind of problem with this since I discovered it.
    I always always wear mascara though, and that's Maybelline's Great Lash. I love Maybelline :D

Yeah I use Maybelline Wonder Finish for during the day, I have combination skin and i've found it doesn't cake and its not greasy. Usually I change my foundation every few months though, seems to help. I have used Mac ones in the past which are ok, Christian Dior and a Stila one that were both crap, and a Clinique one which was terrible. I really have found the cheaper ones better, such as the Maybelline or 17 ones. I always use Maybelline Great lash mascara as well, the pink one with the green lid, often put the waterproof one over the top cos its a thinner consistency and smoothes out any clogs.

As for eyeliner, I love eyeliner, its the one thing I really cannot leave the house without. I've got a Bobbi Brown one with a smudger on the end which is really nice. Any kohl pencil I've found is alright, as long as its soft, but not too soft to smudge all the time. I also like Benefits 'Bad Gal' eye pencil which is really big and thick so good for nights out, its a bit pricey at around 12 quid though. On the top I use a liquid eyeliner, the felt tip type ones such as No.7 Precision Eye pen.
  • Options
    how to prove how much of a product junkie I am...

I really love benefit make-up! The foundation I love at the moment are the 'playsticks' which give good coverage and are supposed to act as concealer, foundation and powder in one as they give quite a matte finish. I tend to use this when my skin isn't looking so great as it covers up quite well without looking nasty!
    When my skin's behaving itself I use lancome photogenic ultra naturel foundation, which is fab, more lightweight and makes me look more glowy. Lancome make lovely foundation!
    I tend to spend more money on a foundation because I have genuinely found that cheaper ones look terrible on me!

For eyeliner, I tend to be more of a cheapskate and either use the Rimmel kohl one in grey (as I'm blonde and it looks more subtle during the day) or the Bourgois one. Although I can recommend the Zara one, as I nicked the sample and it's doing quite well so far. So I've been even more of a cheapskate there!

I try to variate the products I use from time to time, just by browsing in larger branches of Boots when it's quiet when the assistants try and 'make you over' (ha!). This way you can see how they apply the product and basically see which one suits you the best.

Useless info Re. foundation:
    I quite liked the Chanel foundation - very smooth and silky to apply but v. nasty pricetag.
    Have never used MAC foundation, despite seeing good results on some friends.
    The Armani one that everyone in the fash mags keeps going on about it- has anyone here actually used it? And was it any good? Or just stupidly expensive?
  • Options
    I am almost MAC exclusive.

All my eye-shadows are MAC and so are all my eyeliners. I really like colored eyeliners and always get told how pretty it is :)

Though I use Dior Show Mascara.
  • Options
    there you go. try to ignore the fact that my eye sockets are all sunken and i'm yellow. i'm not very well :(
  • Options
    i use liz collinge foundation, rimmel powder, bourjois blusher, and then my eyeshadows/mascara's are maybelline/rimmel/liz collinge/urban decay.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    there you go. try to ignore the fact that my eye sockets are all sunken and i'm yellow. i'm not very well :(

Is the eyeliner just on your lower lid? I can't tell where you've put it either. Gah, I'm hopeless I tells ye!
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Is the eyeliner just on your lower lid? I can't tell where you've put it either. Gah, I'm hopeless I tells ye!

there's purple eyeliner under my lower lashes, dark grey inside my lower eyelid, the sparkly bits around the inside (near my nose) is a mac pigment, as is the dark colour on the top eyelid. just a tiny smudge though. and then mascara, obviously.

that's a night look. in the daytime i normally just have the line under my lashes, but softer and thinner.