Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

odd thought

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
not too sure where to put this....

But does the national curriculem tell teachers how they must teach as well as what they have to teach?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    not too sure where to put this....

But does the national curriculem tell teachers how they must teach as well as what they have to teach?

No.
  • Options
    Then why haven't teachers come up with much more intresting and more involved methods of teaching?
  • Options
    ;ocfNOCIJRE Vetijvqwk;rNQET;Ih';ntvglknaz'p;i\h3ttn.

et cetera.
  • Options
    Then why haven't teachers come up with much more intresting and more involved methods of teaching?

Each teacher has their own style that works for them. Just like each pupil learns in a different way. What works for one mightn't work for another.

I personally don't know many primary teachers who don't use "interesting and involved methods of teaching". Not seen that many secondary teachers either.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    ;ocfNOCIJRE Vetijvqwk;rNQET;Ih';ntvglknaz'p;i\h3ttn.

et cetera.

Actually, you put it better than me.
  • Options
    :yes:
  • Options
    I seriously don't understand why music theory isn't taught in schools. it teaches you so much beyond just music theory. i know someone who learnt to read, write, count, and music theory all from just music theory.
  • Options
    I seriously don't understand why music theory isn't taught in schools. it teaches you so much beyond just music theory. i know someone who learnt to read, write, count, and music theory all from just music theory.

As I've already said, what works for one mightn't work for another. If you are suggesting introducing music theory into schools for the maths and language benefits then that is silly. Music theory *is* taught in schools. It just comes under the whole subject of music.
  • Options
    i never got given the chance to do music in any school in england, the only way i got into it was because of out of school stuff...
  • Options
    i never got given the chance to do music in any school in england, the only way i got into it was because of out of school stuff...
    keep it out of school then ...make it truly your own.
    you and your environment are the school and all the persperation you will ever need.
  • Options

Huh? I could have studied music to whatever level I wanted at school.
  • Options

because you can say the same ofr maths and history, it isnt jsut about direct teaching its about teaching ways of thinking, id like music theory to be taught in schools, people too wrapped up in "oh i dont need it for work" which isnt all school is about
  • Options
    Student forum perhaps?
  • Options
    because you can say the same ofr maths and history, it isnt jsut about direct teaching its about teaching ways of thinking, id like music theory to be taught in schools, people too wrapped up in "oh i dont need it for work" which isnt all school is about

:confused:
  • Options
    I'm doing music (doing some coursework right now, in fact). Not only have I learnt music theory, but I also learnt that there were a lot of pretentious twats around in the fifties who should have been shot so that I don't have to write a piece in a style that should never have existed in the first place.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    I'm doing music (doing some coursework right now, in fact). Not only have I learnt music theory, but I also learnt that there were a lot of pretentious twats around in the fifties who should have been shot so that I don't have to write a piece in a style that should never have existed in the first place.
    I couldn't agree more.

Teachers teach in whatever way they feel is best and others teach in styles that they feel worked for them. Different teachers/Different attitudes/Different teaching methods.

I had one teacher who absolutely couldn't give a shit about us or our marks and gave us out a booklet and told us to do that all year. The year before that we had a dedicated teacher who took time to let us learn all the stuff we needed to know.
  • Options
    am i missing something?

in my day, music (theory and practice) was compulsary until year 9.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    lot of pretentious twats around in the fifties who should have been shot so that I don't have to write a piece in a style that should never have existed in the first place.
    spill the beans young man ...can i guess they were the kind of people who produce similar shite today?
  • Options
    spill the beans young man ...can i guess they were the kind of people who produce similar shite today?
    Bloody minimalism. I was reading up about it the other day, and one person's explanation of a trip to a minimalist concert (with all of his fellow art college friends, no doubt) was something along the lines of "and the real excitement came from listening to the pianist play the same (atonal - i.e. random notes making up a chord) bar 128 times, with a slight difference each time. Oh how fun it was to pick out that tiny difference each time". It's not music. It's pretentious twaddle. Only due to laziness, I put off my second piece of music coursework to the last minute, and am now doing the easiest style there is - this crap.

It contributes nothing to the thread, I just like to moan. :p
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    Bloody minimalism. I was reading up about it the other day, and one person's explanation of a trip to a minimalist concert (with all of his fellow art college friends, no doubt) was something along the lines of "and the real excitement came from listening to the pianist play the same (atonal - i.e. random notes making up a chord) bar 128 times, with a slight difference each time. Oh how fun it was to pick out that tiny difference each time". It's not music. It's pretentious twaddle. Only due to laziness, I put off my second piece of music coursework to the last minute, and am now doing the easiest style there is - this crap.

It contributes nothing to the thread, I just like to moan. :p
    i was right ...how much minimalism can you see in todays pop music?
  • Options
    I realised quite a lot of dance music is quite minimalist, but that's probably due to the loops and the layering, rather than other minimalist techniques (I'm sounding quite pretentious myself now, aren't I?) I myself don't listen to that much dance music, but quite a few Lemon Jelly songs are quite minimalist.
  • Options
    Ahhh the memories of sitting through half an hour's worth of Philip Glass. One fucking note!
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    I realised quite a lot of dance music is quite minimalist, but that's probably due to the loops and the layering, rather than other minimalist techniques (I'm sounding quite pretentious myself now, aren't I?) I myself don't listen to that much dance music, but quite a few Lemon Jelly songs are quite minimalist.
    have a good listen to the spice girls ...all the boy bands ...minimal effort all the way.
    don't write the lyrics use some old ones.
    don't write the music ...use the original.
    don't learn to play any instruments ...someone else can be paid to do that.
    how minimalist can you go ...
  • Options
    have a good listen to the spice girls

Ever heard a Spice Girl's song called Two become one? The chord changes in it are gorgeous.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Ever heard a Spice Girl's song called Two become one? The chord changes in it are gorgeous.
    played by ...no one in the band ok ...this a new mass marketed minimalism of personality and personal effort.
    a ver minimum of talent ...
  • Options
    have a good listen to the spice girls ...all the boy bands ...minimal effort all the way.
    don't write the lyrics use some old ones.
    don't write the music ...use the original.
    don't learn to play any instruments ...someone else can be paid to do that.
    how minimalist can you go ...
    Rolly, it's juts a get rich quick scheme with minimal input. Even when they've got all that they turn up live and what happens? They mime! Some cunts even get that wrong!
  • Options
    If I'd only been two months younger! To continue the dumbing down, next year, Music pupils with Edexcel will study Britpop.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Rolly, it's juts a get rich quick scheme with minimal input. Even when they've got all that they turn up live and what happens? They mime! Some cunts even get that wrong!
    the new mass marketed minimalsism.
  • Options
    the new mass marketed minimalsism.

I wouldn't say it's new. I mean Duane Eddy didn't play on his first big hit. The problem isn't with session musicans it's with using computers to churn out bland, drip dry pish for some cleavage to whine over.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    If I'd only been two months younger! To continue the dumbing down, next year, Music pupils with Edexcel will study Britpop.
    I'm glad the SQA sticks with the more traditional uses of Classical music. Although we did get a Buddy Holly question in the prelim :chin: