Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Flight no KQ101 21/2/05 .....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
... is scheduled to carry an unwilling passenger back to Burundi.

From an email from the most excellent list at Asylumpolicy
David Uwimana is an 18 year old asylum seeker from Burundi. He is scheduled to be removed to Burundi on Flight KQ101 at 19.00 hours on 21st February. He came to the UK in April 2002. David comes from the Bujumbura area of Burundi, which according to Human Rights Watch is a battleground between three armed groups. All these combatant groups commit abuses against the civilian population such as rape, murder and looting. http://hrw.org/english/docs/2005/01/13/burund9861.htm

There are two main ethnic groups in Burundi. The majority Hutus and the minority Tutsis. Despite being a minority the Tutsis have dominated political and military life in the country and Hutus have suffered discrimination. David is a Hutu. His father was a pastor and suffered from discrimination even within his own congregation. On Friday 5th April 2002 soldiers came to David's home and began to beat his father. He died as a result of this beating. His mother, fearing that as the next oldest male in the family he would be the next target, took David to hide at a friend’s house. This friend helped David to flee the country and escape to the UK. Since then David has not heard from his mother and sister.

David is afraid that if returned he would not only be targeted because of his ethnicity but he is also at risk of being abducted by one of the armed groups fighting in his area. The Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers in a report on Burundi say that the use of children in armed groups is widespread in all of the fighting groups. Children are recruited, sometimes forcibly, and used as spies, porters, cooks and are also sent into battle. http://www.child-soldiers.org/regions/country.html?id=35

David has the support of social services who have agreed to take responsibility for him until he is 21. As a young person who has lost his family he needs to continue to receive this professional support and stay in the UK with the friends he has made here.

If you think he should stay - a letter to the airlines can be downloaded here

If you think he should be forcibly repatriated to Burundi, please explain why.

Comments

• Options
    Ooh, its all quite in here.

The FCO's current advice for people thinking of travelling to Burundi is

AVOID ALL TRAVEL
  • Options
    I think it is quiet because there isn't much to discuss, it is plainly obvious that this person should be allowed to stay in Britain.....

Of course though the govt has to 'act tough' to appease the tabloid scum press so they have to push this bullshit through and get as many out as possible so they can 'look good' to the fucking Mail and the S*n.........
  • Options
    Could it be because the Mirror is not an ultra-right wing xenophobic, homophobic racist bigoted rag? It might be a shite tabloid, but at least it's not a racist and xenophobic one.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    because its a liberal left wing loonatic

the sun homophobic? yeah right. clown.

it isnt left wing, its just a plain tabloid, just tends to moan about everything
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    the sun homophobic? yeah right. clown.
    The S*n has a long history of homophobia Luke. You of all people should be a bit more aware of what you read.

Don't you remember the disgraceful "ARE WE BEING RUN BY A GAY MAFIA?" front page headline a couple of years ago? The government had two or 3 cabinet members who happened to be gay, and that prompted the S*n to ask such fucking vile question.

What do you think of that Luke? :rolleyes:

And what do you think of arguably the biggest single homophobe in Britain, Richard Littlecunt, who has a weekly column in the 'paper' and takes every opportunity to have a jibe whichever celebrity homosexual hits the headlines that week?

Not homophobic at all, the Scum isn't... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What do you think of the "Gay Mafia" headline Luke?
  • Options
    Thank you.

And if you think that making a rabid homophobe your star columnist and printing the vile filth the cunt peddles doesn't make you homophobic, you tell me what does.
  • Options
    He's a nasty, nasty piece of work Luke.
  • Options
    Oh, I start to see... You agree with his profoundly xenophobic and hatred-filled stance on asylum seekers and immigrants so much that you are prepared to overlook his homophobia.

If there is anything the pondscum is more obssesed with than gays, it's gypsies and immigrants. He even wrote a (profoundly bad) novel in which the baddies were all immigrants and Roma.

Read this little encounter between Will Self and Richard Littletwat and enjoy! :D
  • Options
    Well what do you agree with him on then?

To the best of my knowledge he mostly speaks of the following:

- Gays

- Asylum seekers

- Immigrants

- Gypsies

- Though occasionally he moans about 'political correctness gone mad' and Cherie Blair as well, I'll concede
  • Options
    Sadly it would seem that his column is no longer available online.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sadly it would seem that his column is no longer available online.

You're not missing much.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    hes missing on a right laugh today.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    It's right in front of me mate.
    I'm a Prime Minister get me out of here!
    Tony Blair has a panic attack after ordinary voters infiltrate a studio audience and start asking awkward questions.
  • Options
    STFU Lukesh, You've derailed another fucking thread with your bullshit. Can we get back to the topic.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    STFU Lukesh, You've derailed another fucking thread with your bullshit. Can we get back to the topic.

Thanks Fiend :)

Maybe this was right though:

[QUOTE=ToadborgI think it is quiet because there isn't much to discuss, it is plainly obvious that this person should be allowed to stay in Britain.....[/QUOTE]

I've sent a fax. Maybe it needs at the airport asking passengers checking in for the flight to say they don't want an unwilling passenger on board .........

:(
  • Options
    It's clear he shoudn't be forced to return, why is he?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's clear he shoudn't be forced to return, why is he?

Its happening every day ..... the same week that there was a massive discussion about whether Zimbabwe was fit to play cricket with, we started deporting people back there.

New trick is that "we" tie aid to a governments willingness to accept deported asylum seekers.

They stopped looking at the tragedy of individual cases ages ago - now it works with what country is on the list of countries not safe to return people to.

All to often the countries judged safe to deport people back to are the same countries that the FCO says are totally unsafe for all travel.

:(
  • Options
    Often because the government claims not to have "evidence" of specific threats made against the individual- even though anyone with 2 brain cells together can see that the person concerned would be in mortal danger the second he sets foot back there.

No doubt the hideous talk about curbing immigration currently dominating the agenda has had an influence on decision making regading asylum applications.

And to think that those in power and those campaigning so hard against immigrants and asylum seekers like to see themselves as 'Christian' (or Jewish; or good samaritan- you get my drift).
  • Options
    Indeed, this appears to be shameful, but why are we blaming Kenya Airlines? That fax should be to Charles Clarke, no?

As for the FCO, that advice is for British Nationals, not 'natives'.
  • Options
    Another case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4190907.stm

Even our local paper which is not known for its liberal views being part of the Northcliffe Group have got involved with defending asylum seekers.

http://www.asylumbristol.org.uk/ - report and more examples.
  • Options
    Azim Ansari, 18, who is currently studying at Oxford University, says it is not safe for him to go back [to Afghanistan].

Mr Ansari fled the Taliban with his brother Wali, who lives in Bristol, in 2001. He was allowed to stay in the UK until the end of 2003.

Perhaps Tony feels that allowing him to stay any longer would somehow give the impression that despite the glorious liberation of Afghanistan by British and American troops, the place is still a lawless hellhole controlled by the Taliban everywhere but in the capital.

Or maybe it's just me being a bit cynical :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed, this appears to be shameful, but why are we blaming Kenya Airlines? That fax should be to Charles Clarke, no?

As for the FCO, that advice is for British Nationals, not 'natives'.

Charles Clarke couldn't give a damn. Kenya Airlines has a caring image to uphold...., asking them not to carry an unwilling passenger to a dangerous place is better than doing nothing.

I'm fully aware that the government cares about the safety of British Nationals (especially if they're white), and couldn't give a damn about 'natives' - but if it is unsafe for 'us' to travel to, one should logically conclude thats its dangerous for the son of a murdered man to return to.
  • Options
    It's what happens when the major political parties start pandering to the BNP instead of telling the BNP where to fuck off to.

The next stage is for legal aid to be removed from asylum seekers, meaning that unless solicitors act pro bono then they won't get aid. And people don't seem to care that removing legal aid from asyulm cases is effectively sending people to their deaths; all too often, the Lukesh mindset seems to prevail because that's all they read.

After all, all asylum seekers are dirty vermin who have no right to be on God's green earth. Which is just as well, because after two weeks on a meat hook they won't be anymore.
  • Options
    now i'm sorry but that does slightly annoy me.

someone i used to work with escaped from croatia a few years back to seek asylum over here. he's been working here for 4 years while the government decide what to do with him.

last month he was sent back without being allowed to get his belongings or say goodbye, to a country where his life is in danger. have also found out he is being forced to perform military duty.

so why is it different for some??
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh, I start to see... You agree with his profoundly xenophobic and hatred-filled stance on asylum seekers and immigrants so much that you are prepared to overlook his homophobia.

If there is anything the pondscum is more obssesed with than gays, it's gypsies and immigrants. He even wrote a (profoundly bad) novel in which the baddies were all immigrants and Roma.

Read this little encounter between Will Self and Richard Littletwat and enjoy! :D

I was getting all ready to laugh at Littlejohn getting verbally beaten up by Self but he didnt actually come off that badly!

Self came off like a bit of an nob at times. I really like Will Self though usually.
  • Options
    Will Self is one of the most self-aggrandising, pretentious, moronic cockwipes known to man. A studio with him, Nicky Campbell, and Richard Minutepenis in should have been strategically nuked.
  • Options
    Turning eighteen can be a rough experience for an asylum seeker.

Meet Albanian orphan Blerim Mlloja

His mother killed when he was 3, his father placed him in an orphanage. At 12 he learnt that his father too had been killed. After that he was twice arrested and interrogated about his parents, before a friend of his fathers helped him to escape to Britain, aged 15.

Here he was placed with a foster family in Eltham, South London. Foster mother Mrs. Watts says:
    "This is his home and we are his family now. He's got no one, and nowhere else to go. He is settled here and has an English girlfriend. He should not be made to leave.

<snip>

"I was just given him to look after - as a son and he calls me 'mum' now. I was never told that he'd be taken from me. He's such a lovely boy and there is a big bond between us. He's got a home here with brothers and sisters and they all love him too.'

Blerim was also receiving treatment from psychiatrist John Barrcroft, who wrote a report arguing that Blerim should not be deported for health reasons. Mr. Blarcroft told reporters:
    "It's quite crazy to keep people in this country and then ship them back as soon as they turn 18. He grew up in a children's home where he was not allowed to go out and was under constant threat. Everyone should have some sort of childhood. Here, at last, he's found someone who can parent him."

Blerim is fortunate in that his case is currently going to judicial review, although the success rate there is very low.

Local Labour MP Clive Efford noted:
    "Outside the current climate of hysteria over immigration, Blerim might have been looked on more sympathetically. To say he can build a life here, to be taken into the heart of a foster family and then told 'you're 18 now - so you must go' is unfair. It doesn't take into account the individual cases".

Meanwhile, Blerim has been feeling cold in his detention cell, where he is refused visitors. Guards have denied him access to an extra blanket.
  • Options
    I am guessing that none of the rabid anti-immigration lot will reply to that post........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I am guessing that none of the rabid anti-immigration lot will reply to that post........

They didn't to the original one either. Still, I guess David Uwimana is in Burundi by now.

It looks less pretty when you start seeing the human tragedy.